Sunday, October 16, 2011

FACE OFF: My Favorite Dessert Shops/Cafés

Butterfly & Cake

"Who doesn't want desserts?", one would ask. Actually, quite a few. Famous celebrities such as media person/lifestyle host Daphne Oseña-Paez and Kapamilya actress/tv host Anne Curtis attest that desserts doesn't make them swoon. Daphne said in an interview, (As I recall, this was an interview with Drew Arellano for his now defunct TV show, Balikbayan) even if she sees a marvelously decorated cake, and everyone around her were crooning and cooing by the sight of it, she will be totally unmoved by it (deadma). The revelation regarding Anne not being frazzled by desserts came from Kris Aquino. If my recollection served me right, this was when they were still shooting the teleserye Hiram for ABS-CBN, when Kris revealed Anne's was more into salty food and junk food like potato chips.

I also consider myself a "late-bloomer" when it comes to sweets and desserts. Before, if I could only have a forkful or two of either a simple chocolate or butter cake, I was totally fine with it. Not really a big deal. However, as I expand my horizon when it comes to food cravings (thanks to my friend, Karen Anne, who introduced me to other food places aside from the regular fast food chains), I suddenly realized that there are vast variety of sweets and desserts around the metro aside from those you could find in Goldilocks and Red Ribbon. Not that I'm saying I don't like anymore those two cake shops, but sometimes having a diversity of options could really get quite exciting.

Anyway, here are my top choices of dessert shops/cafés I visited in the past. It was quite hard to narrow it down to six since I did tried a lot, and most of them have really made a distinct and memorable impression on me. Maybe I'll reserve the rest on my future posts.


~Banapple



Banapple cakes


banoffee pie


Almost all of my friends chose Banapple as their go-to place whenever they were looking for a dessert to soothe their sweet cravings. I couldn't agree more. One of their stellar dessert offering, the Banoffee Pie, never miss a hit. A wonderful confluence of chocolate, caramel, whipped cream and of course, slices of banana.

praline banana cream pie


Myster-Reese's Wicked Pie


fudgymudgy mud pie
However, their banoffee pie is only one of the many outstanding dessert cakes one could have in Banapple. Two of the other cakes that I truly adore in this dessert shop would be the Fudgymudgy Mud Pie (the top was garnished with a lot of those bite-sized Kisses-like chocolates and chocolate swirls, equal layers of whipped cream and chocolate graham crust) and the Myster-Reese's Wicked Pie (peanut buttery goodness of Reese's interspersing with luscious caramel filling and graham crust). The Praline Banana Cream Pie (which I also like to call the white version of the banoffee pie) was also good, but it never comes close with its alter-ego.

Banapple also served good savory dishes. Among their savory offerings, the lasagna roll-ups tops my list. I recently visited Banapple One, the recently renovated store in Katipunan. However, I will tell you more about that experience on my future post.



Ill Terrazo branch:

Scout Madrinan cor. Tomas Morato
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

413-2675

Greenhills branch:

Northgate Building, Connecticut St.,
Greenhills, San Juan

(02) 477-2675




~Bizu


Bizu

Bizu Patisserie & Bistro was where I had my pre-birthday lunch earlier this year. I could count that experience as one of the best. They not only boast of excellent food but a wonderful staff as well. The entire service crew and the manager were friendly and attentive to your requests at the same time. I did splurge a bit on this lunch, mainly comprised of an Osso Buco dish and a Lobster Bisque. However, I was more enchanted with their wide array of dessert selections.

macarons de paris

Bizu's shot to fame was undoubtedly because of their melt-in-your-mouth macarons de paris.  "Crisp on the outside and soft crème ganache and crushed almonds in the middle" was how Bizu described their macarons on their website. This little heavenly disks is a must whenever you will visit any of the Bizu outlets in the metro.

Amour

Samba

Strawberry Shortcake

Petite cakes which Bizu refer to as French Gateaux, was a delight to the eyes as well as to the palate. On this visit, I sampled the Amour (an orange chocolate mousse with layers of brownies and creme brulee), Samba (a combination of milk and dark Valrhona chocolate mousse, with layers of chocolate cake and their own concoction of chocolate ganache) and Strawberry Shortcake (a soft genoise sponge cake with layers of strawberry and Chantilly cream, my absolute favorite).

I'm planning to go back to Bizu one of these days, most possibly to further explore more of their savory offerings.


The Promenade, Greenhills
Greenhills Shopping Center

724-2498 & 726-2496



~Sweet Bella



Caribbean, Midnight Hazelnut & Trio

Cakes in Sweet Bella never fails to illicit oohs and aahs. Elegantly designed and exquisitely executed desserts would be the first that comes to mind. I was absolutely stunned when I saw the desserts. But the real question I had was: "How should I start eating this?"

In this visit, I was fortunate to try three of their bestseller cakes, namely: Caribbean (light banana mousse topped with chocolate. The wave-like pattern on the cake reminiscent of the waves of the sea); Midnight Hazel (for serious chocoholics, a dark as night chocolate mousse with a very rich chocolate flavor); and Trio (the trio flavors composed of coffee, dark and white chocolate mousse, my absolute favorite among the three).

Tiramisu Coffee Frappe


The drink I ordered along with the cakes, the Tiramisu Coffee Frappe very much reminded me of the white mocha frappe I frequently ordered at Starbucks Coffee

Burgos Circle, Rizal Drive
Bonifacio Global City, Taguig

844-8244



~Kitchen's Best Home Patisserie


Kitchen's Best Home Patisserie

I could never miss not putting Kitchen's Best Home Patisserie on this list. This was where I experienced what could be the best dessert I came across thus far, the Plaisir Sucré. A magnificent interplay of dacquoise (meringue layers), chocolate, hazelnut, ganache, praline and chocolate crème chantilly. The Plaisir Sucré of Kitchen's Best still, (for me, at least) the biggest star among the constellation of desserts out there.

Plaisir Sucré  

Opera

The Opera, a classic French dessert that other patisseries in the metro also offer their own version is also something to rave about here in Kitchen's Best. Luxuriously smooth chocolate ganache and cream being its best asset.

From the grapevine, Kitchen's Best Home Patisserie will open its second store in Bonifacio Global City soon. At last, a nearer place for me to satisfy my sweet craving for the Plaisir Sucré.   .

Karrivin Plaza 2316
Pasong Tamo Extension
Makati City

843-3847

~Cupcakes By Sonja


Cupcakes By Sonja

Said to be the "catalyst" of cupcakes fever in Manila years back, Cupcakes By Sonja is where Karen Anne and I go to if we're looking for desserts, not only pretty to look at, but greatly satisfies our cravings for sweets as well.

Counter-clockwise from front: Mocha Motion, Red Velvet Vixen & Banana Monkey Cream Pie

Counter-clockwise from front: Cookie Monster, Lemon Drop & Pistachio Berries 'N Cream


Left plate from front counter-clockwise: Outrageous Mississippi Mud Pie, Peppermint Patty, Bunny Hugger Carrot.
Right plate: Loa Lani Coconut Banana Cream Pie & Valrhona Milk Choco Hazelnut Tart

We both love the variety of cupcakes here in Sonja. Each cupcakes possesses its own flavor and character and brand of sweetness. I could easily pick the Red Velvet Vixen, Cookie Monster Cupcake, Outrageous Mississippi Mud Pie, Bunny Hugger Carrot Cupcake & Loa Lani Coconut Banana Cream Pie among my list of favorites here. The only single cupcake that I had difficult acquainting myself with would be the Valrhona Milk Choco Hazelnut Tart. This hard and unyielding tart is quite off putting that I branded this on my Facebook album a tart with a "bad attitude." I don't think this tart and I will ever get along in the near future. But that doesn't diminished my absolute fondness (or is it "love") with this cupcake haven of a place.


1C 03 Serendra Piazza
Bonifacio Global City, Taguig

856-0308



~Classic Confections


classic confections logo

Much recently, I discovered another dessert shop that made my heart pump faster. Thanks to my friends Mary Kay & Diselle, they paved the way for me to find this chic and kid-friendly dessert place called Classic Confections.

classic confections interior


Classic Confections has been supplying their dessert treats to a number of well-established restaurants and cafés before they decided to put up their own dessert café in Greenbelt 5. They also have a commissary kitchen located at West Capitol Drive, Barangay Capitol in Pasig City.

Boxes and canisters

Sugary sweets in animal forms

The dessert shop boast of wonderful colors and hues. Specially designed boxes and canisters where you could put the goodies and can serve as a gift to a friend, a family member or a loved one. The kids were naturally drawn to the edible sweets in animal forms as seen in photo above.

Cakes On Display


I, myself, was temporarily distracted by those cute sugary sweet stuff in animal forms. However, my stare went back inevitably to the display case that showcase desserts of every variety and forms. From tarts, cheesecakes, torte, bars and petite cakes. Full size cakes of the miniature cakes was also available for purchase.

Cappuccino Viennese

I went here on a rainy Sunday afternoon, so a hot cup of coffee would be a perfect way to bring the heat back to my cold skin and body. The Cappuccino Viennese was rich and creamy, the foamy texture of the coffee almost spill since the liquid was filled to the brim which satisfied me immensely. Muscovado sugar and Equal (an artificial sweetener) was provided to add sweetness to taste.


Nono's Chocolate Oblivion

To go with my coffee, I chose the Nono's Chocolate Oblivion. Name after the owner's (Baba Ibazeta) father, this is one mini cake that packs a wallop. After I took my first forkful, I kept on mouthing "OMG!" that the girl seated in front of me perfunctorily stared back to me. But who cares what other people might think if the food you're having makes you numb and makes your heart skip a beat because of its sugary sweet goodness. Described by the owner as the "quintessential chocolate cake", this cake possess layers of chocolate and ganache punctuated by walnut praline and dusted with generous amount of cocoa powder.


Because of the very nice dessert experience that I had here, Classic Confections rightfully deserved to be part of this list. And I wouldn't mind visiting this colorful dessert cafe a second, a third or how many times over.


Greenbelt 5, Legaspi Street
Legaspi Village, Makati City

No comments:

Post a Comment