Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Down The Rabbit Hole at Burrow Café

food and menu

I've been meaning to visit Burrow Cafe in Antipolo but I'm not too privy of its location in Beverly Hills. So I finally contacted a good friend of mine, Kat (a fellow blogger and a long-time resident of Cogeo) if she would like to join me to hunt this cafe down. 


sign

stolen shot

A few things I learned while planning this trip to this cafe: It's recommended for you to book a table in advance, preferably at least 14 days ahead for them to give lead time. Due to the escalating popularity of this hidden cafe, walk-in guests may have a hard time nabbing a seat. You also have to allow them a few days to respond once you submitted the reservation form via their website. I got my confirmation via SMS after two days after I filled up the online form. A directional guide is also available on their webpage for an easier way to find their location.

flight of stairs

another flight of stairs

at the last landing of the underground stairs leading to the cafe

My friend and I met at the gate of the subdivision and from there we drove a tricycle to Antipolo Beehouse where the cafe is located. We were dropped off to a station with a sign announcing the cafe's name on a wooden frame with an arrow pointing to where the actual cafe is and another arrow where you can find the bee house as seen from the above photo.

Finding the cafe itself proved to be an adventure. We have to trek a series of steps leading down to a clearing  and another series of steps going underground to the cafe itself. We were a little intimidated by this second flights of stairs because its dingy and dark but once we opened the door situated below, we were enthralled by the shabby-chic beauty of the dining area replete with mismatched tables, chairs and chinaware. The lush greenery surrounding the area gave it a rather rustic, outdoorsy feel.

dining area


at the creek

streaming waters

a tool you could use to clean the river

Burrow Cafe is abuzz that day with the weekend crowd, with kids running around, playing with the hobbyhorse or lounging on the sling-style hammocks situated inside the cafe. Rather than staying stationary while waiting for our 11 o'clock reservation, Kat and I decided to check out the running stream located right below the cafe.

It was a gorgeous sight! We had a grand time taking photographs of the stream laced with trees and shrubbery greens. Though one should need to be careful tiptoeing around the brook because the stones used for foothold were precariously positioned. 

busy dining area

sling-like hammocks

full house

Finally, we were told by one of the waitstaff that our tables are ready. So we headed back quickly inside. 

The food were hands down beautifully plated and looks very rustic. I was a little hesitant ruining my plate of tapsilog but my hunger pangs ruled over. The Tender Beef Tapa was excellent. Arguably the best plate of tapsilog I've ever tried. Perfectly marinated, not too sweet and very tender strings of beef tapa that I chased down with spoonfuls of fried rice. I could honestly say that this tapa will now be my benchmark of what a good tapa should be.

The Eggs Benedict On Toasts is appealing though I had tried better eggs benny elsewhere, this one offered by Burrow Cafe suffices. Kat ordered the Beer Battered Torsilyo Fillet. I'm quite unfamiliar with this kind of fish but a quick look on the Internet informed me it belongs to a species of barracuda. I tried a forkful and find it deliciously flaky which reminds me of milkfish but much meatier.

eggs benedict on toasts

beer battered torsilyo fillet (photo courtesy of Kat)


tender beef tapa

Ah, desserts! Something I wouldn't pass up and this visit to Burrow isn't an exception. Although, in spite of the fact how stunningly presented our sweet treats was I wasn't jumping up and down with glee after trying out our these two. The Dayap Creme Brulee was texturally appealing with the grainy sugar crystals upon first bite but it's intensely too sweet for my palate. The Tiramisu, on the other hand, was laden with too much espresso it assailed me with a bitter taste that I had to make another spoonful to check if it's just a fluke. 

dayap creme brulee

tiramisu (photo courtesy of Kat)

We also had some drinks (Avocado Fruit Shake, Green Tea Shake and a Moka Pot Latte) which were just alright. I might order one of their Santiago Beers and the Suman ala Mode when I swing by next time.

bee house

interior

mermaid in flight

Kat and chubby me

After the scrumptious meal, we also checked the Bee House and checked the assorted knickknacks inside but we didn't linger too long. 

It's been years since my last food trip bonding with Kat and I'm glad I was with her on my very first visit to Burrow Cafe. Our animated chat were endless which only proves that we did had a lot of catching up to do. We promised ourselves it wouldn't take that long again for our next meet up. Until then, Kat! Cheerios!

BURROW CAFE
113 Beverly Hills Avenue
Beverly Hills Subdivision
Antipolo City






































No comments:

Post a Comment