Friday, March 7, 2014

Romantic Meals For A Table For One

the kouign amann at Brasserie Cicou

I was meaning to post this for Valentines. But since I'm such a slowpoke when it comes to writing articles for this online diary, plus inspiration to write a romantic post was sorta, kinda hard to find (surprise! surprise!) so this will serve as my first post for the month of March. And I'm not gonna try to make this a (to quote a phrase from that 90's hit TV show Ally McBeal) "sappy-sappy-puke-sappy" narration because to tell you honestly, it isn't gonna work. Nuh uh!


A French Kiss Would Do Me Good


food at Brasserie Cicou

Okay, okay! I did promise that I won't make it mushy but it's really the first thing that came to my mind once I entered Brasserie Cicou and was assisted by a French guy who could be the son of the owner. And the guy has a striking semblance to Coldplay's lead singer, Chris Martin, minus the scruffy stubble and mustache. I tried to keep it cool and in hopes to come across as smart and as sleek as (e-hem!) Gwyneth Paltrow but I ended fumbling my words out to the shame of me. From smart and sleek to a total smart ass; and I felt as if my head detached itself from my neck and rolled onto the floor. The French guy, an epitome of a perfect host and perfectly hides his puzzlement of this "creature" whose form of communication were words coupled with regurgitating sounds, if he ever felt any, whisked me to the nearby seat and handed me the menu with aplomb.

As I peruse, he told me what part of the menu is available at this time (I got here just well past 3 PM). I chose my order based on his recommendations, giving him my full trust on whatever the outcome of my meal would be. If I could also entrust to him my heart... (Oh! Stop it, Jules! Keep it real!).


sweet white wine


complimentary baguette


salad

To keep me busy and not to bore myself from waiting for the food to arrive, I asked for a glass of sweet wine. My French guy (please excuse my possessive pronoun he-he!) highly recommends the Blanc Lime drink. A white wine that's slightly fizzy and indeed quite sweet. I took each sip gingerly. The wine may look harmless but it fires up my throat once I took a swallow. I even cough not so lightly after a swig and I have to chase it down with gulps of water to abate it. Talk about table manners going all over the place.

They still offer the complimentary baguette roll and butter which nicely perks up your palate. I had a hard time though demolishing that small slab of heart-shaped butter. But hunger prevails and I inevitably smashed that heart to pieces. Mwahahaha! (evil laugh!)

Contrary to what other people may perceive of me, I do like salad. Fresh, crisp lettuce drizzled with either a mayonnaise dressing or a tangy vinaigrette is something that I crave for time and again. And this Chef Cicou Salad, aside from being looker for all its pretty colors, tastes very memorable, too. 


onion soup


coquilletes

Soups are also something that I almost, always ask for. The pureed type is a constant choice but when the French guy told me to try the Soupe à l'Onion, I succumb to it. Careful now, it's so hot it could scald a tongue. Slices of baguette soaked into the broth creating an intricate web appearance and the gruyere cheese further scintillates with a burnished top.

I'm not in the mood for pasta but when the Coquilletes was suggested, I got intrigued by it and nod my head in submission while I chirped in my most unusual tone, "Yes! I'll have that!" (You see how I let this hunk of a French guy get free rein on my food orders). I'm glad that I yielded to this offer since I fell hard for it. Mini-macaroni covered in mushroom foam laced with truffle oil. Magnificent dish! I just can't get enough of it. 


my Valentine desserts

heart shaped macarons

apple tarte tatin

Once the plates were clean and whisked away, now it's time for my favorite meal of 'em all. I waited in anticipation as they prepare the desserts for me. It's amusing to realize that they prepare the dishes (same with the desserts) right after you order them which explains the long gaps and turnover between meals. But I'm not complaining, as the way things are turning I knew this dessert finale will be something that is worth the wait.

I'm surprised to learn that there are now various incarnation for the much beloved Kouign Amann. A chocolate version of it catches my eye on the dessert menu but I wanted to keep it simple and ordered the classic. I would confess the first time that I tried the kouign amann, I found it so shamelessly sweet, and still is. The caramelized sugar permeates on each layer of the pastry that one who has a very sensitive palate may find it offensive. But I salute the wonderful flakiness of the dessert. And the onslaught of sugar can be lessen when smeared by the salted caramel ice cream perched on top. And don't you just love the sugar tuille shaped like a heart suffused in red color? I yearned for a heart themed dessert on this day of hearts and I got it here in Brasserie Cicou. I almost quiver in my seat in elation.

But wait, I have more heart themed desserts on my plate. The heart shaped macarons de Paris were on offer that day and I had one of each flavor available (matcha, raspberry and strawberry). A crackly shell with a chewy center, this is the kind of French pastry/cookie that I would never get tire of nibbling.

But the other dessert that I fell head over heels for, and eclipsed the kouign amann just by the slightest margins is the Apple Tarte Tatin. A glory to behold with its burnished brown color, in stark contrast to the whiteness of the vanilla ice cream preened on top. The apple slices still lightly crisp with the fragrant smell of cinnamon, smeared with some of the ice cream for some icy cold, milky cream texture. One bite and I felt bliss wash over me.

latte

It would have been an overkill to expect a latte art shaped like a heart on my coffee but I won't deny, I did expect to see one on this cup just the same and I remember how I felt a little disappointed not seeing an exquisitely detailed latte art when the Cafe Latte was placed before me. But I still relished this sweet milky joe, with a single piece of madeleine serves as a nice touch.


57 Annapolis Street
Greenhills, San Juan

661-9200

********************************

Dateless On A Shabby Chic Patisserie


desserts at Fleur De Lys


Sometimes, dining alone has its own perks. For one, if the food is really good, you could enjoy it all on your own without having to worry (or to feel guilty) if the other person is having his or her own fare share. Secondly, the waitstaff's service can be more intimate and engaging. Numerous times have I struck a conversation with one of the servers, and a pleasant one at that, especially if the restaurant wasn't that too hectic. An added bonus if the server is sorta, kinda cute (hihihi!)

interior

dinner for one

I found myself traversing the rather frenetic streets of Tomas Morato on Valentines Day. I yearned to be in a place where I could be consoled and comforted, and also to have as much desserts as I could desire. I don't want to wander anywhere else, and Fleur De Lys seems to be my most reliable bet. I've been here before but I only focused on the sweets. To come back here and thinking to try some savory offerings as well as some sugary things wouldn't hurt me much.

macadamia milkshake

soup

bolognese

corned beef panini

The Pumpkin & Bacon Soup satisfies me deeply, the savory broth courses down nicely while the bacon bits provided a nice interruption. Though I find the soup on this side of thin. I originally wanted to order the Beef Stroganoff pasta but ended up having the Yoya Poy's Bolognese. The thing is, I have mixed feelings towards this dish. The pasta itself were great, perfectly al dente. The sauce embracing the pasta is a totally different matter, though. It's well under seasoned and bit watery for me. Every time I swirl my fork over the noodles and put it in my mouth, I kept on thinking how the beef stroganoff would fare compared to this dish.

I wasn't down for long, and I have to thank the Spicy Corned Beef & Caramelized Onions Panini for it. One bite and I almost felt I'm singing to the high heavens. A simple enough panini sandwich but oh, it packs a wallop. And yes, the spiciness lingers. But I wasn't put off by it. I only just wish there's more of those sweet potato chips. And how can I forget the Macadamia Nut Latte Milkshake, the buttery flavor of the macadamia blended so well with the creaminess of the drink. A drizzle of salted caramel syrup serves as a delicious crowning top.

pavlova picasso

nuts about you

coffee and desserts

While perusing the dessert section of the menu, I was asked if I would like to try Dulce & Gabanana, a playful name wording of the famous designer duo for their banana tart with chocolate dulce de leche. I saw how that dessert looks like at the display counter before retreating upstairs and I find the appearance too ooey gooey chocolaty for me. Since I'm trying to avoid (for now) desserts and cakes with dressed with too much of this flush dark brown color, I asked to be served of the non-chocolate desserts.

The Pavlova Picasso is a pretty looking dessert. Strawberry walnut meringue sandwiching a thick layer of cream then topped with more whipped cream and further garnished with slices of peaches, kiwi and grapes. It has all the ingredients that I would gladly fall for except the meringue itself were too chewy. Not too sure if it's meant to be that way but if the meringue were a bit more crisp, I'll enjoy this dessert more than a thousand fold.

The other dessert I tried, the Nuts About You, is more my thing. A macadamia nut tart with pieces of the said nut strategically placed on the top layer then topped with a single scoop of pistachio ice cream. As I forked my way through this dessert, I remembered thinking that I'm almost glad I wasn't sharing this with someone else. It's that good!

So, there. I survived the frenzy brought by this season of hearts. It can be a one-two punch for people like me trudging the horrific, nightmarish savanna called singlehood. But these food that I partaken, especially the sweets, have kept me "sane" and helped me realized that the lovapalooza month can also be enjoyed by the unattached ("or the unadulterated", my wicked mind softly suggested *wink*!)


FLP Building
305 Tomas Morato Avenue
Scout Triangle, Quezon City

372-0631


No comments:

Post a Comment