Saturday, March 15, 2014

We Love To Have Some Pho...and Vietnamese Veggie Fix, Too

pho at Pho 24



Of late, I've only visited Asian-themed restaurants too infrequently that I could only count it with just one hand. So enamored am I of food places that offers pastas, pizzas and burgers that I overlooked the beauty and the flavorful promise that only Asian cuisines could offer. A shameful admission, I know. And I plan to change that in the coming weeks and months. I'm off to a good start when I visited Pho 24 in Libis along with a group of friends just recently.

inside Pho 24 in Libis

counter

I've noticed that they also offer the signature Vietnamese drip coffee of Highlands Coffee. When I asked our server about this, he confirmed that Highlands Coffee and Pho 24 are sister companies under the SuperFoods Group umbrella. We were a little hesitant selecting our food orders, obviously unfamiliar we all are with Vietnamese food but the girl at the counter offered help to make it a bit easier for us to make up our minds.

Grilled Pork & Spring Roll Bun

"mix me like crazy"

I intend to order a bowl of pho but I got sidetracked by the beautiful pictures of Bun (vermicelli bowl) and ordered the bestseller Grilled Pork & Spring Rolls variant. I was delighted when this bowl was served before me. Bright and vibrant colors of both veggies and meat seems to be jumping out from this bowl. A side container of a vinaigrette-like dressing was also provided so I could pour it at will. Careful to only pour just a little of the dressing at a time. Don't want to drench my veggies with it lest I want my vermicelli bowl to get all soggy. And how I liked that small sign propped by a popsicle stick that says "mix me like crazy".

As I expected, the vegetables are fresh and still rightfully crunchy. The pork are soft and tender though a little bit sweet. The spring rolls are packed with equal portions of minced meat and veggies. Though I wish a little spicy kick from either the meat or from the dressing.

grilled chicken & spring rolls bun

5 spice shrimp & vegetables

red cabbage salad

My friends also had their own moment while eating their preferred dish. Ish also had the Bun order but chose the Grilled Chicken instead for the topping. I was surprised that she eschewed the vinaigrette and decided to put generous drops of oyster sauce into her bowl instead, thinking the oyster sauce might be too rich for such a salad but she's quite happy with the outcome. 

Don pulled all the stops by ordering the most healthiest dish with the Red Cabbage Salad. But the salad was not entirely all red since crisp, green lettuce leaves serves as a bed to the main attraction which is the red cabbage. Strewn with some chopped nuts and julienned carrots, it's a kind of meal that even the progenitor of the Atkins diet would be happy about. Provided with the same vinegary dressing and a wedge of lime, Don is not ashamed of voicing out his enjoyment with the salad.

Sheenee's order of Five Spice Shrimp w/ Vegetables Rice Dish is the longest to arrive. Not really sure why it took that long but when it finally came, the dish really looked appetizing. The sheen glazing the vegetables and the shrimps had me transfixed. Wish I was able to score a piece but her plate was too far from me. He-he!


sweet & sour pork rice dish


beef brisket pho

But it's Vince order that I'm salivating for. He had the Sweet & Sour Pork Rice Dish. The pork is soft and I so like the sauce coating the meat that I yearn to pierce some more of those pork but modesty wins. I should have ordered my own but I'm already quite full with my own Bun. I also got to try of the Beef Brisket Pho he ordered. The broth is bursting with so much umami flavor that I would definitely accord myself a bowl of this pho on my next visit to Pho 24.


Chubby Cheeks, Vince, Ish, Sheenee & Don

A big thank you to my new friends for sharing with me my very first food indulgence on Vietnamese cuisine. I'm sure there's more in the offing. Ciao for now! =)








E. Rodriguez Jr. Ave
Libis, Quezon City

911-1115


No comments:

Post a Comment