Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Bowl Of Ramen You Wouldn't Want To Share With Anyone

food at Nomama

Ramen isn't something that I sought for to eat. Aside from the fact that it fills you up easily and robbing you of the luxury to try other food at your disposal (wallet-wise), I find it too tiresome to eat those long ribbons of noddles and getting all sweaty while eating is not in my book of comfortable eating. 

Having said that, Nomama Artisanal Ramen isn't my first priority when I visited Capitol Commons recently. But my intended restaurant to visit seemed to be in a very uninviting mood; unwilling to give up the 'reserved' seats  and wanted me instead to perch by my lonesome self outside. One look at the solitary table and chair positioned just right outside the door and I feel depression already setting in. The least thing I want is to feel glumly when I'm eating. So, I traced my steps back to Nomama where one of the receptionist cum waitstaff welcomed me with "open arms".

inisde Nomama

table setting

wooden box for utensils 

The brightly lit interiors coupled with the almost utilitarian set up help me feel at ease quite easily. Since Nomama is what I would consider a restaurant with a 'celebrity' status, I do get the 'jitters' (read: intimidated) and feel quite terrified coming in but the eagerly helpful staff erased all that.


lemongrass iced tea

gyoza

I love dumplings in all shapes and sizes and it's a no brainer that I should try the Pork Gyozas. They're quite pleasing and I like the way that the dumplings were really packed with its meat filling almost to the point of bursting the dough it was encased in.

wagyu beef cheeks ramen

garlic glazed chicken

I eagerly anticipated my bowl of ramen, in this case the Wagyu Beef Cheeks Ramen. I was no less than impressed. The broth itself is already a cause for celebration. Of the few ramen houses that I've tried, this ramen easily tops the scale. And the beef, oh that beef! How they achieved to make that beef so perfectly tender is mind boggling. However, after being transported to delicious heights by the flavorful broth and the tenderness of the meat, when I prodded the egg in hope to stain the broth with some yolk, I was met with a yolk that is powdery in texture similar to a hard boiled one. They've overly cooked my egg! my mind shouted. And I went back down from the sky with my buns splatting hard on rock solid Earth. I just inhaled deeply my frustration and concentrated myself on the broth, the noodles and the beef. Here's hoping to get a runny yolk next time I order this bowl of exquisitely flavored ramen.

I also liked the Chili Garlic Glazed Chicken w/ Soy Caramel. It's like a upscale version of an inasal chicken but with a more restraint flavor. I only just wish that they've increased the level of spiciness since I didn't detect even a hint of spice on this dish. Just salty and sweet all throughout.

apple gyoza

This is my first time to try a dessert gyoza in the form of the Apple Gyoza. The execution is impressive. And the miso and salted caramel sauce, coupled with the yoghurt foam is really addictive. I'm not really all crazy with apple based desserts but I enjoyed this one so much the next thing I knew everything is already gone.












Capitol Commons
Kapitolyo, Pasig City

542-2558


No comments:

Post a Comment