Thursday, July 24, 2014

Searching For That Chocolate Cake That Would Sweep Me Off My Feet

chocolate desserts at Maitre Chocolatier

Did you ever get tired of eating something you fervently loved for the longest time? That happened to me recently. With a kind of dessert adored by many. What every girl (and some guys I know) ultimate brand of sugar rush and something they couldn't get enough of. The chocolate cake. There was a time that most chocolate cakes I've tried from various food places and establishments seems to be either too dry or has that one track chocolate flavor that I easily get fed up eating.  So I avoided this dessert as someone would avoid eating an ampalaya (bitter gourd), for instance. But I've come to realize that maybe I'm not looking at the right places in getting better quality chocolate cakes. So I set off to visit two establishments that specializes in---what else?---but chocolates, in hopes that it would ignite again my affection to this dessert.


Chocolate Fire

inside Chocolate Fire

I went first to Chocolate Fire in Salcedo Village, Makati City, which I recently learned is an Aussie enterprise. I was given a full menu but I only gave it a cursory glance. I'm more interested on the sweets on offer. Though I must say the savory food are quite tempting. I gazed the display case, drooling at most of the sugary sweets before me. I could have taken a picture or two but a warning sign proclaims taking pictures of their products on display are strictly prohibited. Quite in contrast to the seemingly stern sign is the friendly countenance of the staff at the counter who recommended some stuff for me to try.

chocolate desserts at Chocolate Fire

black forest ganache cake and chocolate truffles

chocolate milkshake

She heartily vouched for the Black Forest Ganache Cake. A very moist cake with the smoky top note of cocoa that lingers. I slowly felt coals of fire, little embers creating some sparks, making me think that this could be the chocolate cake that I'm looking for to rekindle my fondness for this dessert. But that building emotion of chocolate sugar high was quickly quelled but the somewhat flavorless whipped cream placed on top of the cake. Frankly, the cake would do me good without that messy "white hairdo".

I also ordered some Chocolate Truffles. The best one for me is the white chocolate covered with dessicated coconut. I was hoping for a Vanilla Milkshake to balance out all the chocolates I'm intaking. But alas! I was told they only have the Chocolate Milkshake available. It's already an overkill but I ordered one, nevertheless. This one is okay. I just hope it has a much thicker consistency.


G/F PDCP Building
corner of Leviste St. & Rufino St.
Salcedo Village, Makati City

*********************
Maitre Chocolatier

inside Maitre Chocolatier

counter and dining area

Not really content with the chocolates I've tried at Chocolate Fire, I ventured to Jupiter Street to visit Maitre Chocolatier Boutique Cafe. I've been here before but that was eons ago. I'm glad to be back and I knew, I just knew that chocolate bliss is inevitable.

Kahlua Ice Blended Chocolate drink

Golden Euphoria

The Ice Blended Kahlua Chocolate Drink may prove to be forgettable. It's too watery and lacking the chocolate creaminess that I'm looking for but the cakes here are phenomenal. The Golden Euphoria is Maitre Chocolatier's bestselling cake. I haven't met anyone yet who despises Ferrero Rocher chocolates. And how enchanting this cake looks, with the said spherical chocolate hazelnut preening atop. The enchantment never stops as I bite into the cake, the creamy chocolate mousse colliding with the moistness of the sponge cake is truly mesmerizing.


Sweet Revenge


chocolate lava oozing out

But what set things ablaze for me is the Sweet Revenge, Maitre Chocolatier's own riff of the chocolate lava cake. Made from 70% Lindt Excellence Dark, the brownie-like cake oozes with a tar dark chocolate sauce perked up nicely with chili. Yes, the chocolate sauce and even the cake itself has a lingering spice to it. It's fair to say that this chocolate lava cake is not only hot, it smolders. I pierce into the cake and more "lava'' oozes out. My tongue momentarily flick in submission. The heat emanating from the cake and the sauce is pleasant, not as overpowering let's say as the spice level of the Diablo Souffle Cake offered at Restaurante Pia Y Damaso. I think my friend Karen, who's not big on anything with chili on it, might also like this one. But the spiciness slowly creeps in. If that happens, keep it at bay by dousing some of the cake of the provided vanilla ice cream.

After all the chocolate cakes I consumed that day, I've realized that I haven't really lost my fondness for this dessert. It's just a matter of knowing where to find the best of them.















28 Jupiter St.
Bel-Air, Makati

897-8559





No comments:

Post a Comment