Thursday, December 11, 2014

Noodles, Dimsum & Ice Cream

food at Mien San

I've always wanted to go to Mien San, a Taiwanese restaurant seated along that commercial strip in Granada Street, but for one reason or other, I always failed to do so. Bracing a long walk under the beat of the sun and pollution of smoke belching from various vehicles which might invariably cake my face with a horrid solution of dust and dirt were a few of the reasons that's holding me off. If I only knew beforehand how good the food offered at Mien San, I could have shrug off those aforementioned inconveniences of little importance.

inside Mien San


complimentary hot tea and a selection of dipping sauces

vanilla milk tea

The overly simplistic surroundings of the restaurant belies the good food that awaits me. I even started to doubt that I could have a decent meal here. I was glad I was proved otherwise. I was served hot tea before the start of the meal. I sipped at it meditatively then my orders started to come.

I needed something to refresh me after a tedious walk along Granada Street so I asked for a Vanilla Milk Tea. I admire that they've provided me an extra bottled container of sugar syrup should I want to sweeten my milk tea some more.


dumplings

spicy beef noodle

The steamed Kutchay Dumplings is awesomely toothsome. The somewhat sturdy wrapper gave the dumplings a bite-y that's truly pleasant. And if you like some heat, do as I do and dip the dumplings on the thick soy sauce laced with chili oil. The Spicy Beef w/ Tendon Noodle Soup offers a flavorful broth with a tingling spice that trails on the end.


cha chang noodles

manthou buns

onion pancake

But what I really fall hard for is the Spicy Cha-Chang Noodles. The slightly zippy toppings of mushroom and tofu tossed over white noodles that reminds me of spaghetti is truly irresistible. With the Onion Pancake, I never thought I would like it but after taking a bite I just couldn't stop demolishing the entire thing. The Manthou Buns serve as my dessert of some sort. The crusty yet doughy buns are already good as it is but I don't want to waste the condensed milk that came along with it. And the resulting flavor after dipping the bread on the milk was enormously good I inadvertently moan in pleasure, never mind if someone would hear me within earshot.

straighforward good Taiwanese food

In spite of the manthou buns, I still feel the urge of eating a straight up dessert. So after asking one of the waitstaff to pack my left overs, I head on straight outside to get my dessert fix.

40 & 42 Granada Street
New Manila, Quezon City

721-5794

*****************************************

ice cream desserts at Magnolia Flavor House

I was planning to go this boulangarie cafe near the area but the magnetic pull of the Magnolia Flavor House is just too strong. 

inside the Flavor House

the Daredevil

mango shake

Ernie & Bert

Who wouldn't fall in love with the Sesame Street themed dessert, Ernie & Bert. A colorful plated ice cream with Froot Loops sprinkled all over it. And the Daredevil, with barquillos sticking on either side to serve as horns but I find this dessert so charming I didn't how I should start eating this vamped up sundae. 

My only complaint is not about the Flavor House itself but the people inside the ice cream parlor. Most of the people coming in are lovers. Couples who are so extra sweet with each other. I feel so left out. Huhuhu! :'( I just tried not to mind them and finished my ice cream desserts in a jiffy.

Dona Hemady Ave.
New Manila, Quezon City



No comments:

Post a Comment