Monday, December 26, 2016

'Tis The Season For Some Ice Cream

bingsu and churros at Cafe So Dam

This Holiday Season, a dessert cafe that offers icy sweets with a touch of whimsical and a Filipino-inspired ice cream treat prompted me to write anew.
Cafe So Dam

I first heard about this dessert cafe incidentally from Ian Carandang's social media post (which his ice cream shop, Sebastian's is also being featured on this same post). Cafe So Dam is tucked away quite hidden on the third floor of Robinson's Galleria. Not many people know this gem of a place yet even though they've been in operation since August of this year, I'm told.


at Cafe So Dam

churros w/ soft serve

Don't be fooled by the rather bleak interior of faux black leather chairs and off white walls. They offer really serious ice cream/dessert concoction. A fusion of Korean and Spanish of sorts since they implement churros in most of their desserts. 

On my first visit, I initially asked for the classic Cinnamon Churros but I wanted to try the one with the soft serve option. The staff surreptitiously just added some cinnamon to my new order to my delight. I fall hard for their perfectly cooked churros, crunchy on the outside but mushy soft inside. The churros go very well with their creamy soft serve vanilla ice cream. Amazing combination!

chocolate bingsu and oreo churros

chocolate bingsu (up close)

I went back here after doing some last minute Holiday rush with my Nanay. I was enticed to try the bingsu. I chose the Chocolate Bingsu for us to share. I must say it's a work of art. They took time to present it quite prettily. The iced was shaved so finely with tons of milk, with added cubes of dark brownies, chocolate syrup, chocolate covered churros with a chock full of nuts and chocolate chips. I only felt the three scoops of strawberry flavored ice cream was a bit out of place for a supposed to be a chocolate-fest dessert. 

The Oreo Churros we tried was also quite impressive. My Nanay and I tore it apart using their cutesy spoon and fork with heart shaped designs.

CAFE SO DAM by 55 CHU

3rd Level, Robinsons Galleria
Ortigas, Quezon City

*************************************
Sebastian's


at Sebastian's The Podium branch

Sebastian's is always known for introducing highly innovative flavors to the market. Some of the quirky flavors I spied on a recent visit are Mangga't Suman, Sapin-Sapin and Champorado at Dilis. But I'm eyeing on only one flavor that day. And that is Puto Bumbong


puto bumbong ice cream

Part of their ongoing Christmas Flavors, the puto bumbong kind of reminds me of the creamiest ube halaya in ice cream form. For its rustic finish, it was topped with grated coconut and a sprinkle of muscovado sugar. I almost caved in to order another scoop but I restrain myself. I have an ongoing severe sore throat that I was prohibit by Nanay to even drinking cold water. So indulging myself with any icy sweet can be the end of me these days. But how can I pass up a little luxury of sweet, cold creaminess this Yuletide season? Even if the grueling itchy throat would come later, I say it's all worth it.

SEBASTIAN'S ICE CREAM
The Podium
4th Floor
ADB Avenue, Ortigas


No comments:

Post a Comment