Sunday, May 26, 2013

Remembering The Hottest Summer Ever

2013-04-06-4197
ice cream & smoothie

Manila has seen by far one of the hottest summer in recent history. The torrid heat leaves me breathless at times just by merely standing under the merciless beat of the sun. It was insane, really. This drought-like weather even sent some people that I know begging for rain. Even the slightest sign of nimbus clouds on the horizon conjure images of rain falling down in sleet. At the start of May though, rain showers and thunderstorms occasionally made some appearance. Thus creating a balance of a more bearable climate.

In memory of that awfully hot summer season, I'm detailing here what kept me cool during those moments when the heat is almost too much to bear.

Tons & Tons Of Ice Creams


2013-03-28-4152
mantecado


2013-04-07-4202
French salted caramel


2013-05-04-4332
Tillamook mudslide

I'm sure everyone has their fare share of buying tubs and tubs of ice cream during the long stretch of the summer season. I was guilty of the same deed as well. I even went as far as going to three convenient stores looking for the Selecta Super Thick Mantecado Ice Cream. But all those pains of the search (which includes bracing the traffic, the maddening crowd and the heat) make it seem all worthwhile after you buy your precious cargo (in this case the ice cream tub) from the counter. Then snuggling it in your arms as if someone might snatch it away from you. Feeling the coolness comfort emanating from it. And as soon as you got home, you quickly rummage your kitchen in search of a cup and a spoon to scoop up the creamy and icy goodness inside the tub. It was indeed a rewarding experience. Something that I wouldn't mind doing again and again and again.

Selecta Super Thick Mantecado Ice Cream and Magnolia's Flavors Of The World are available at all leading supermarkets and convenient store

Tillamook ice creams are available at Rustan's Fresh.
~~~~~~~~~
The Halo-Halo That Would Send You To Outer Space


2013-03-30-4158
Milky Way's halo-halo

I'm always on the look out for the best halo-halo. A far cry from the Chowking version that we all know (and tasted, I might add). Most of the people I know concedes that Razon's Halo-Halo is the one to beat. I like it's minimalist design but for some reason I find it rather way too sweet. And I kind of miss the other usual trimmings like the ube-halaya, ube ice cream, jellies and the crunch of pinipig (rice crispies) whenever I tried the one at Razon's. What fares better for me is the halo-halo of Milky Way Deli.

It has everything one could ask for in a halo-halo: macapuno, strips of langka, nata de coco, red beans and sweet beans. This version was rather benign in terms of sweetness but satisfying nonetheless. And an added trivia: Sarah Jessica Parker was sighted eating this halo-halo during her short stint at SM Aura Premier. Now, that's something! :)


2013-03-30-4159
root beer float


2013-03-30-4160
root beer float (1)

Another cold treat I quite enjoyed trying at Milky Way Deli was the Root Beer Float. It seem a trend now that you pour the rootbeer (usually served in can) into the glass where a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream is already at the bottom, waiting to get soaked. But in Milky Way, the glass was filled to the brim with their in-house vanilla ice cream. I was quite stupefied by it. When I pour some of the contents of my Mug root beer into the glass, the liquid barely penetrated to the mid part of the glass. I took a sip and it's like a vanilla milkshake with the fizz. Yummy! =)


2013-03-30-4155
ox tongue asado

To serve as a break from all the cold, sweet flavors I decided to have a rice meal in the form of Ox Tongue Asado. I'm not entirely sure, but this might be my first time to eat an animal's tongue (something is not right on that statement he-he!). Nonetheless, the lengua is painfully soft.that it  almost disintegrate in my own tongue (no pun intended). And that fiery red tomato sauce. Damn! I'm going back for this.

1

Virra Mall, Greenhills
San Juan (where Haagen Dazs formerly occupies)

726-5541
deli.milkwayrestaurant.com
~~~~~~~~~
This Halo-Halo Could Have Been Perfect For Me


2013-04-06-4198
super halo-halo

I only go for the parfaits and sundaes whenever I'm at Iceberg's (or it's hybrid resto, Eskimo Bob in Megamall) and some savory treats like the Baked Penne Pasta w/ Feta Cheese which I find quite mouth-watering. But I have never tried their Halo-Halo. Since it's high summer, (and I have seen a few of my friends posting on social networks with this baby and seems to enjoy it) I might as well give it a try.

I was quite impressed with the presentation of the Super Halo-Halo. It's very colorful. I could almost hear one of the Micheff Sisters that I used to watch in the 3ABN network says, "It's like a rainbow." And this one is. A cornucopia of ingredients held almost aloft on a stout, large bowl that tantalizes the eyes and no doubt makes one mouth waters. I was happily mixing and matching the ingredients along with shaved ice and ice cream (and quite enjoying it) when I suddenly spied corn kernels. 

Now, I like corn kernels as it is (corn on a cob slathered thickly with butter and dash with a bit of salt...or MSG [!!!] is my sort of happy meal) but not on desserts. That's why I never order Mais Con Hielo. But then I thought, maybe this time it would be different and I would get a different reaction instead. I might kinda like it. Or so I hope, because once I shoved a mouthful of the halo-halo along with the corn kernels and it's other ingredients I almost spat it out. The sweet, salty flavor of the kernels mingling with the other sweet flavors made it feel (and taste) kinda icky. I would still order the Super Halo-Halo, but I would ask for the corn kernels to be remove from the lot.


2013-04-06-4194
choco banana & peanut butter smoothie

I may have ordered this smoothie in error to partner with the halo-halo. The Choco Banana & Peanut Butter Smoothie could have been best slurp alone (or with a savory food at hand). But to sip it with the Super Halo-Halo, it's like having a World War 2 inside your mouth. There's too much going on that one dessert is trying to dominate the other in terms of richness and sweetness. I think it would work out well if I just ordered a simple vanilla milkshake or a fruit shake (or a plain cold water for that matter, errrr!). I think the adage 'too much of a good thing can be bad for you' can be aptly placed here.

2

Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~
An Ice Cream House Near My Place


2013-05-02-4308
smoothie & dessert

Providence; and a nightmarish traffic led me here, believe it or not. It was that awful day of two  road accidents along C5/E. Rodriguez Avenue, and what seemed to be a throng of people that sprouted out from nowhere contributed to one of the most wretched traffic experience that I had. As if being squished like packed sardines inside the bus wasn't enough, the snail pace traffic almost led me to burst at the seams. It's insane, I tell you. As soon as I got off the bus, I meant to go to Ever Gotesco Ortigas since I'm craving that night for Jollibee's Jolly Hotdog and also to find means to de-stress myself. A brightly lit ice cream house that I passed by along St. Joseph subdivision changed all that.


2013-05-02-4309
inside Ice Cream House

2013-05-02-4303
counter


I went inside the IceCream House Sa Cainta and immediately scanned the pictured menu on the wall. Indecision crept up on me. Which among the cold treats would I try? Full night has finally come but alas! the evening promises torrid summer heat even with the absence of sun. And I'm sweating profusely from the sole of my head to my tassled (and no doubt, already smelly) socks. I also need to practice some restraint since I still have work the following day and I get sore throat easily. 



2013-05-02-4305
melon ice cream float


2013-05-02-4306
beefy surprise & chili mushroom pizzas (solo size)

I started off with the Melon Ice Cream Float. I naturally chose melon since the fruit is very much in season and it signifies summer. More like a refreshing fruit smoothie, it immediately cool me down after one sip. By the way, the ice creams that they use are from a brand called Gold Delight.

Some savory treats can also be had here. A number of pizza flavors (from ham & cheese, Hawaiian, bacon & mushroom, etc.) which they call Pizza Delight and some pastas. Since I was also starving that night, I also ordered solo sizes of the Chili Mushroom and Beefy Surprise pizzas. Nothing fancy. Just a simple pizza dough with simple pizza ingredients. I even watched the server assembled the pizza and then pop it in the oven toaster and voila! Two cute, mini pizza right in front of me. I even had a booboo while trying to squirt some hot sauce on the pizza. It ended up squirting all of the contents out and it deluged the pizza of it's bloody red color. No fret. The hot sauce only provided a small flurry of heat.


2013-05-02-4307
tiramisu magic

A dessert called Tiramisu Magic completed my sugar craving. It's basically just a brownie bar topped with chocolate ice cream. Prettified with some piped whipped cream, then drizzled with some chocolate syrup and candy sprinkles. A dessert no doubt kids (and kids at heart) would love.

2013-05-02-4310

A caveat: It can be extremely hot inside considering I went here at full twilight and the sun has already set and cannot be seen on the horizon. If it's a permanent problem in the ventilation, I'm not sure. But just ask (rather kindly) for an electric fan, if one can be accorded or just let the ice cream you're eating provide you the cold bliss.

3

No comments:

Post a Comment