Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Catching Up w/ A Friend & A Visit At The Grove

2013-03-17-4109
poutine and buffalo wings at Sunrise Buckets

My friend, Karen Anne, came back to Manila from her hometown in Mindanao a few weeks ago for a quick visit and also to run a handful of errands. But getting a hold of her is a totally different matter altogether. Busy as a bee and always with a tight schedule on her belt whenever she's in the city, so getting a chance to see her is almost always next to impossible.




2013-03-17-4095
angus cheese steak pizza at Sbarro


2013-03-17-4096
mochi ice cream at Mochiko

One Sunday afternoon though, already enroute to Katipunan on a jeepney when I chanced upon a Facebook post from Karen that's she in SM Megamall doing another round of her errands. I immediately corresponds with her through her post and we've agreed to meet up there. But what I haven't realized till I was already there inside the mall that she's also with her parents. Though it was nice that I finally got to meet my friend's Mom and Pop, I still felt I've been a little intrusive in some way. But Karen assured me that my presence wasn't invasive at all. 

At one point, we ended up eating at Sbarro since her parents were hankering for some pizza and pasta. I was a bit hesitant in trying out their newest pizza offering which is the Angus Cheese Steak Pizza since it's very similar in appearance with their Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. But I dived in, anyway. The pizza, as expected, satisfies on all counts. Brimming with tomato sauce, each slice proffers a mouthful of thinly-sliced and tender angus beef, red and green bell peppers, onions and tons of cheese.

We were able to squeeze in a quick visit to a Mochiko stall. Mochi ice cream is the in thing right now, evident to the sprouting of quite a number of stalls that sell this cold, sweet treat. But better make it thaw for a few minutes unless you want your teeth to bite into a rock solid filling. We both enjoyed our own choices of mochi ice cream. Karen had the Oreos & Milk variant while I had the Cookie Dough.

2013-03-17-4103
big signage inside the diner


2013-03-17-4105
pictures chronicling what Sunrise Buckets is all about

2013-03-17-4104
crowded night at Sunrise Buckets

I asked Karen Anne if she could join me later that day to visit Rockwell At The Grove along C5. We haven't been there yet plus I also wanted check out Sunrise Buckets, a diner that specializes in buffalo wings, among other things. She promised to drop by but I already knew she's already dead tired that day since she came in straight from a long flight, so I totally understand that she weren't able to join me that night when I sneaked in to The Grove.

Undoubtedly a hip and trendy place, Sunrise Buckets was crowded that night that I was lucky enough to have squeezed myself to a vacant table at the corner. The diner has a pay-as-you-order-policy so one must line up at the counter first. I almost babbled myself while placing my orders since I was trying to get myself familiarize with the menu and at the same time trying to make up my mind as quickly as possible on what to order so as not to hold off the other five people who suddenly appeared behind me.

2013-03-17-4102
palstic handgloves for eating

2013-03-17-4098
root beer float

2013-03-17-4101
fizzy delight

I like the utilitarian feel of the table setting. There was a tin bucket filled with tissue paper, utensils and plastic gloves to aid one hungry diner (and that would be moi) in eating the buffalo wings without being that messy. I ordered the Rootbeer Float as a thirst quencher. A trend this days that I've noticed instead of the rootbeer already poured to a glass of ice before dumping in a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream, you will now be given a can of rootbeer (or a bottle in this case) for you to pour it over your glass of ice and ice cream, creating quite a fizzy, spectacular view. I like the presentation but sometimes when I suck on the straw, all I get is bubbles and not the the actual rootbeer.

2013-03-17-4106
half pound Smokin' BBQ Buffalo Wings

2013-03-17-4108
buffalo wings; up-close

2013-03-17-4111
poutine

The torrid heat that night scared me witless to try a spicy variant of the buffalo wings so I ended up with the half-pound order of Smokin' BBQ. A blend of sweet and smoky barbeque flavor. I liked it but I kind of missed the kick of spiciness and ended up wishing that I tried instead one of their spicy variants.

Instead of regular fries, I decided to try Poutine. A dish originated in Canada, it's just a simple mixture of fries soaked in gravy and melted cheese. Quite tasty, this one. A welcome diversion if you're already tired of just regular fries (which I doubt hehehe).

2013-03-17-4116
moist lava slide

2013-03-17-4112
where all the bones will be dumped in

For dessert I did have the much recommended Moist Lava Cake. A stick-to-the-teeth affair of ooey gooey brownie cake topped with vanilla ice cream and finished off with swirls of chocolate syrup. This dessert would have been perfect if the brownie cake was warm enough for that perfect collusion of hot versus cold.

I was already half-way through my dessert when I've noticed that something is missing. Oh, yeah! My Cafe Latte to go with my dessert. I did asked for it---twice and was told that they're already preparing for it. But it never arrived. Disgruntled, I left Sunrise Buckets without any hint of smile on my face amidst the staff members that greeted me on my way out and beseech me to come back and visit. I know the turnover that night was quite high and quite possibly on that shift the diner was understaff but still, someone should at least keep tabs of each and every customer's orders so that nothing will be left out. 

1


The Grove By Rockwell
Retail 2A
The Pavilion, C5
Ugong, Pasig City

www.sunrisebuckets.com










No comments:

Post a Comment