Sunday, September 8, 2013

Dining The German Way

2013-08-17-4767
food at Brotzeit

There's two German restaurants in EDSA Shang-rila Mall that I was fortunate to try out recently. One is a bier bar that serves Bavarian cuisines while the other is a market cafe that specializes in roesti, galettes and tarte flambe.

Getting Acquainted With Paulaner

2013-08-17-4762
table setting

I'm not much of a beer drinker and would only have my fill of Tanduay Ice and flavored San Miguel Beer on occasion I was invited for a drinking session on a friend's house or at Isaw Haus. But since I'm at Brotzeit which prides itself with their Paulaner hefe weissbier and I haven't tasted a munchner lager before so I might as well try it out. 

2013-08-17-4760
inside Brotzeit

2013-08-17-4761
bar area

In spite of being build as a bier bar, I spied some kids with their Mommies and Daddies dining here. But most of the diners were groups (still in their office clothes and obviously wanted some chill time after a day's work), couples who wanted to share some intimate moments while sipping  a glass each of lager or lonesome diners like myself who couldn't care less what other people might think if I ordered food good enough for two people to share.


2013-08-17-4759
Paulaner Bayrischner Longdrink

For my biermischgetranke, I had the Bayrischner Longdrink. A lager drink spiked with vodka and lime juice. I like the fruity counterpoint of this drink very much. It's slightly sweet, too. However, I started feeling a slow buzzing sound in my head half-way through this drink which is the normal effect of beer to me. 

2013-08-17-4764
goulash soup

To perk up my appetite, I started off with the Gulaschsuppe (Goulash Soup), a spicy soup with bite-sized pieces of beef and cubes of potatoes. It's has a very herby broth with tomato, caraway and garlic. I relish each sip, just perfect for the coolness of weather on the night I was here.

2013-08-17-4772
spicy chicken sausage

2013-08-17-4771
chocolate cake

I was in the mood for something that would titillate my taste buds so I had the Huhnerwurst (Spicy Chicken Sausages). The spiciness of the sausages itself were very mild, but once you dip in on one of the accompanying chili sauce it elevated the zippiness to a whole new stratosphere. If you find the zing already too much, you can tame it down a few notches with the included potato salad and sauerkraut.

I must admit I had reservations asking for the Kaiserschmarren (Emperor's Cake) and the Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudel) because of the unflattering reactions each dessert had garnered from other blog and sites that I've read prior to this visit. So (though I'm not very much into anything chocolate cake these days) I ordered the Schokokuchen (Chocolate Cake) as default. And surprise, surprise I enjoyed this chocolate cake with a molten center quite immensely. It blended so well with the Stracciatella ice cream it came with. Hot and cold. The flavors resonates and reverberates. I loved this dessert so much I finished this first before I'm done with the other savory dishes before me, earning a smile from one of the waitstaff as he whisked the finished schokokuchen plate away from me. Well, there's no such rule of finishing dessert first before the mains. I just smiled in return and had myself another gulp of my lager drink.

1 

Unit 112 Edsa Shang-rila Mall
Mandaluyong

www.brotzeit.co

**********************
To Err Is Human, To Forgive Is Divine


2013-08-24-4785
food at Spatzle

There's a newest attraction in EDSA Shang-rila Mall, and that is the newly furnished East Wing. Shops and store now abounds on this newest extension inside this plush mall. But what caught my eye (naturally) were the restaurants making its new dig on this posh space. However, this visit to Spatzle Euro Market Cafe was purely circumstantial. I was really planning to try out this uberly popular ramen restaurant however I balked at the idea when I saw how long the queue was. I even dreaded to ask what my number will be on the waiting list. So I moved on and came upon Spatzle.

2013-08-24-4778
inside Spatzle

2013-08-24-4779
charming utensils' holder

I was informed by one of the waitstaff that they're still on soft opening which was very much evident on their laminated menu. I already expected that spotty service might occur (which almost always happens on a newly opened food establishment) so it won't dampen my over-all experience with the food and the restaurant itself. 

2013-08-24-4780
citrus cooler soda

2013-08-24-4781
truffle pomme frites

I nibbled on the Truffle Pomme Frites while waiting for my mains. Crispy fries with a mushy, starchy insides. Very garlicky with the essence of truffle is only but a whisper. I chased it down with the All Natural Citrus Cooler Soda. Though not as citrusy as I expected the drink would be, I was still refreshed by it. 

2013-08-24-4786
tarte flambe rustica

2013-08-24-4789

When the Tarte Flambe Rustica came, it was gallantly placed on my table. I couldn't help but compare this baked flatbread to pizza. Especially right after I drizzled some Lea & Perrins' Hot Pepper Sauce onto it and the gush of mozzarella and tomato once I bite into it's thin yet chewy crust. Even without the hot pepper sauce, the chorizo and the sausages gave the tarte flambe a zippy flavor while the chiffonade of greens on top gave it a more rustic appeal.

I couldn't hide my disappointment when I was told that only available dessert was the Red Velvet. I mean, Red Velvet was so yesterday and I was looking for something more exciting. I did make do with what they have and let just say this dessert didn't left a discernible impression on me.

Now there's seem to be something missing in this picture. Oh, yes! It's the Spatz Fried Chicken w/ Paprika Gravy which never made its appearance. I didn't anymore made a follow up on it since I became quite full already with the tarte flambe. But if the case has been different and I felt my girth hasn't been satisfied yet, I would ask for it. No doubt. I was just a little shocked when I saw on the bill that I was still charged for it when it clearly never made it's way to my table. I was told that this order has been dispatched but clearly someone is not keeping tabs with the ingress and egress of orders here. When it was clearly pointed out that this order never came to me, they graciously corrected the error on the bill. 

With this slight mishap, I'd still consider dining back at Spatzle. I'll just let it get it's groove in order and maybe the next time I'm here it would turn out to be a spectacular one.

2


Level 5, EDSA Shangrila East Wing
Mandaluyong City


No comments:

Post a Comment