Sunday, September 1, 2013

The (Edible) Project We're Glad To Be A Part Of

2013-08-29-4825
a build your own pizza creation at Project Pie

Project Pie has exploded in popularity in the local foodie scene via word-of-mouth and photo sharing through social media networks (Hello Instagram, Facebook and Twitter!). The main draw here is giving the diners a choice on how to create their pizza their style, their way making this newest US artisan pizza franchise the hippest, trendiest place that no pizza lover (or food lover, for that matter) should pass up.


2013-08-29-4812
cool wall graffiti

2013-08-29-4813
people lining up

2013-08-29-4820
Project Pie exudes that laid back ambiance

I've been eyeing this pizza place ever since reading about it on Anton Diaz's blog, Our Awesome Planet. But I don't want to go there all by myself. I think to fully enjoy the pizza experience here is to tag your barkada (peers) along. So I "coerced" my friends and colleagues at work to join me on this visit to Project Pie one Thursday after work. One of my friends, Jamie, was quite adamant of joining since she lives in Caloocan. Good thing (with the help of Star's thinly veiled threats he-he! Kidding!), she let herself be tagged along by us on the condition that he'll bring his beau Victor along. No sweat!

Project Pie is not easy to miss. Just swing to Shaw where Cherry Foodarama retailer store used to be but now being replaced by an S&R grocery store. I couldn't contain my excitement when we finally arrived. I walked briskly towards the main door and almost did not heed the guard's greeting. Sorry about that. That's just me when I'm too anxious about something.

2013-08-29-4815
getting ready to assemble the pie

2013-08-29-4817
ton of toppings to choose from

2013-08-29-4818
"It's getting hot in there!"

2013-08-29-4819
cups for the softdrinks and take out water bottle.

I already forewarned my friends that the queue might be long being this pizzeria as the current "it" place after the craziness with IHOP when it first opened. Since we went here at an off hour, the queue was (thankfully) almost non-existent. We did encounter a stump on deciding which toppings to go with our pizzas or which among the numbered menu to choose from. I chickened out and decided to just order by number. Star and Jamie followed suit while Victor decided to be brave and proceed to review the list of toppings with furrowed brows, using Jamie as his cohort in coming up with the best pizza possible. 

A ball of pizza dough was placed on a high-tech contraption and when it came out, the dough was already flattened to a personal size pizza, ready to receive it's load of toppings. But if you get scared with all the options to choose from to customize your pizza, no need to worry since the staff employed by Project Pie are all friendly and cheerful and very much willing to help create that perfect pizza just for you. It even prompted Star to comment, "Para lang silang naglalaro (It seems they're just playing)."

2013-08-29-4821
Star's order

2013-08-29-4822
Jamie's order

2013-08-29-4835
my order

2013-08-29-4823
Victor's order

After creating your pizza of choice and paying for your orders, all you have to do is seat back while your name is called. A little confusion occurred since Star and Jamie decided to provide a different name for our orders. Star used the name "Nikki", a name of a long-time crush while Jamie decided to use "Claudia" for reason I still could not comprehend he-he! So when those names were called at the counter, we're unsure if it's for us or for someone else.

Me and Star opted for the Number 2 Pizza and she opted for more bacon for her add-in. Jamie went in for the Classic Cheese Pie with added herbs. Victor's order of his pizza was the prettiest of the lot, I might say. With bell peppers, prosciutto, pepperoni and tomatoes created a kaleidoscope of colors on his pie. The reward of being adventurous. I made a mental note not be a scaredy cat next time I drop by here.

As for the pizza, the crust (though thin) was quite chewy just the way I like it. And it tends to get crispy towards the edges. I was quite careful biting on it since it's load of toppings and cheese has a tendency to rip away from the crust and hangs precariously for dear life. I recently discovered that aside from Tabasco, adding some ground pepper on a pizza could skyrocket it's mouth-watering goodness. It's bliss bite after bite after bite. I'm thinking this pie would go well if I had either a bottle of Stella Artois or a Chardonnay wine *wink*!

2013-08-29-4834
banana Nutella pizza

2013-08-29-4829
Jamie, Victor and Star

2013-08-29-4830
Victor , Star & Chubby Me

I've never tried a dessert pizza before so I cajoled my friends to also have the Banana Nutella pizza included on our orders. This one was quite messy to eat. A dribble of the Nutella stained my scarf. (Yep! I did try to be uber-chic that day but ended up looking like a fashion victim that needed serious wardrobe overhaul) so I decided to fold my share of the pie and eat it that way. The dough went tough because we waited too long before we eat it. (We thought the pizza were small for each of us but we we're quite surprised [especially me] when we're already feeling full as we finish our second slice). But it's all good. Who wouldn't love banana and Nutella, anyway? 

Thanks again to Jamie, Victor and Star for sharing this first visit to Project Pie. Truly, eating good food with your good buddies is always a pleasurable experience.

1
515 Shaw
1555 Laurel Street cor Shaw Boulevard
Wack Wack, Mandaluyong

www.projectpie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment