Sunday, May 10, 2015

I Enjoy Eating Alone; or Otherwise


I do enjoy eating alone. It's really not a big deal. I know a lot of people who couldn't bear the thought of going to the office pantry by themselves and eating in a corner with their order of viand and rice. Not me. I do relish my moment with my food. Eating is a personal thing also, you know? But I also don't mind sharing my food moment with friends. So, here's yet another post from recent visits I made with friends or just by me, hence the title of the post.

Cheesecake By Guy

enticing display at Cheesecake By Guy

I've been eyeing this dessert cafe ever since they've open and I was naturally at my happiest when I finally set foot at Cheesecake By Guy in Eastwood Mall. Who wouldn't be at the sight of all those fancy looking cheesecake? The sight alone is a mood enhancer, I'm telling you. 

crepe cake and iced mocha


green tea cheesecake and cafe latte

I was with Angel on this visit, a close friend of mine and she's quite hesitant on which to order so I broach her to try the Crepe Cake, daintily looking cake with paper thin layers of crepe with a judicious filling of creme chantily on each layer. She partnered it with an Iced Mocha. The server seemed to have a grand time with the ice there, don't you think? :)

I think this is the very first time I tried a Green Tea Cheesecake and I was not disappointed. The earthy flavor of the green tea blended so well with the sweetness and slight tang of the cheesecake. Followed with sips from a perfect cup of Cafe Latte, I was in pure bliss.


ube cheesecake and affogato

Another time, I had an Ube Cheesecake and an Affogato at Cheesecake By Guy. A superlative combination. The denseness of the cheesecake possessing the rich flavor of ube yam and the in-your-face whapak! of the espresso tempered by the cheesecake ice cream of the affogato. There's a lot of cheesecake that I would still like to try here in Cheesecake By Guy so I would definitely be back.


















http://cheesecakebyguy.com

***************
Caliburger


counter

My first impression when I went to the Caliburger branch in Century City Mall was it's humongous. A guy could skateboard inside the dining area thru and fro with much obstructions. There's an open space/al fresco area for those people who like to smoke while munching down on their burgers with an expansive view of the Makati's skyline. I also like the over-all surfer/beach theme of the interior.


spacious interior of the Century City Mall branch


cheeseburger meal with milkshake and Coors beer in can

Since Caliburger is a franchise from the US, I half expected that the price range would be steep. My jaw almost dropped when I saw how affordable their burgers and add-ons. They were even offering free Coors beer in a can on this particular visit. I just had a simple Cheeseburger meal and upgraded my drink to a Vanilla Milkshake which is satisfyingly thick. The burger itself is laudable. The burger patty is juicy enough rounded up with the almost melting strip of sharp cheddar cheese.


Cheeseburger; close-up





















www.caliburger.com


***************
Mesclun


table setting


I love the French bistro vibe of Mesclun. It's classy but it's very laidback that you won't feel intimidated coming here. And the accommodating staff further enhances the inviting atmosphere of Mesclun. 


impressive interior at Mesclun


complimentary baguette

I went here with a friend of mine, Star. Excited we were to catch up with the latest news each of us were so eager to share that we barely took notice of the well dressed server who handed us the menu. Though ravenous I was with the "gossips" Star has to offer, I also need to attend to my grumbling stomach which making its presence known. We cracked open our menu and studied it momentarily. Once our orders were scribbled down, our animated talks continued.


cucumber Collins


lasagna maison


Star is not an adventurous eater. She'd rather play safe with her food and it's evident with her order of the Lasagna Maison, a simple fare of ground beef, tomato sauce and bechamel poured over layers of lasagna sheets. But I was surprised that she ordered a cocktail drink (which I think this one was called Cucumber Collins) when I intimated that I will order a glass of wine since Star don't drink anything with alcohol on it.


a glass of red wine


cheese platter

I asked for a glass of red wine (I think the one they offered me is called a Merlot) and I liked the seductive red glow that the lights cast on the glass. I usually prefer sweet white wine than red since I usually associate the flavor of red wine to grape juice with a slight bitter tang. But one should always need to explore and there's something about red wine that appeals and titillate.

To go with the red wine, I ordered a Charcuterie & Cheese Platter. I've always wanted to order a cheese board platter and I like the various gradation of flavor from sharp to bitter to salty. It further enhanced my appreciation for cheese. Too bad their Eastwood branch has already closed but I could make do on visiting their flagship branch in Serendra.


chubby me and Angel

Star and chubby me

Thank you to my equally pretty and sassy friends, Angel and Star for joining me on some of my food trips. I'm sure a follow up is in order. :)
























www.mesclun.ph

No comments:

Post a Comment