Thursday, May 3, 2012

My First Ever Travel To Binondo

food at wa ying

I've always wanted to go to Binondo not so much to experience the vibe of its environs but more so of the infinite food one might discover and try at this Chinese-centric place. But the fact that my sense of geography is always out of whack if I didn't check first Google map impedes or dwarfs all of my preconceived plans to go there. Until my friend Gael came to the rescue and ask me if I would like to join her to visit Binondo. I dive in to the offer as an experienced swimmer would dive into the crystal clear water of a pristine lake.



coffee from vendo machine while waiting for my friend Gael to arrive

Gael is far more in tuned with her sense of direction than I do so I placed my complete trust to her that our travel would be as smooth sailing as I imagined it would be. Since she's been to our country's Chinatown a couple of times, she possibly knows which avenues, nooks or crannies we could slip through towards our destination. We even consulted an online list of recommended food places to visit in Binondo. Included on the list was a Chinese fastfood called Wa Ying.


at wa ying


It would be an understatement to say that I was like a kid on our jeepney ride to Binondo. I clutched the metal railing as I looked out the window and marvel at all of the scenery passing before us. Old houses and infrastructures. Wet markets and specialty shops. But the one that struck me the most are the bookstores selling pre-owned textbooks scattered all throughout. Some of these second hand bookshops were positioned on main thoroughfares. It was really mind-boggling. As we walked along Recto, Gael informed me what I would expect to see on this area and that area, like an experienced tour guide to a neophyte traveler.


When we finally reached Binondo, I felt like we teleported back to Old World China. Each houses, buildings, banks, pawnshops and eateries has Chinese inscriptions on them. It created an illusion to me that I'm not in my own country but in a foreign land. I was so awestruck that I was about to pull out my phone and start taking pictures when Gael forbade me to do so, lest I would want to put my phone (and my life as a result of it) at risk. I begrudgingly put the phone back to the safe recesses of my sling bag.


full house


plates and saucers


complimentary tea



Gael was eyeing to try the authentic Binondo mami, so when we spied Wa Ying along Benavidez street, we knew we're in the right place. Though I'm sure there are a lot of other food places in Binondo that also offer this sumptuous soup. In spite of the terrible heat outside, I find the complimentary hot jasmine tea quite soothing. 


milk tea & lemon tea 


egg tarts


Our orders took quite sometime to prepare, good thing we had our teas and egg tarts to keep us company and made the wait at least bearable. Gael really liked her HK Milk Tea, although the components of the drink was very simple: a Lipton tea bag, Alaska evaporated milk, sugar and ice. She liked this drink so much that she got inspired to make her own milk tea days after, but she told me the taste wasn't the same. I liked my HK Lemon Tea, a sweet iced cold tea with the zesty flavor of the lemon. 


Me and my friend were also satisfied with the egg tarts. A very flaky crust with a custard-like filling that is not too sweet. Although I wish we tried this last after our main orders.


Gael's request of Binondo mami


zhachiang mami-bihon


Finally, our orders graced our tables. What we didn't expect was how hefty the servings would be. We ogled at our food, quite happy at the glorious portions accorded to us. The question is: Can we finish the whole lot? 


Gael's initial order was the roast duck mami, however the roast duck was not available that day. She, then, asked if they have just the regular mami Binondo-style. Our server said they can customize something for her that is not included on the menu. How cool was that!


I initially wanted to try the Gutchap Mami but when I learned that gutchap means lamang-loob or innards, I quickly changed it to Zhachiang mami. And it turned out to be one of the best food I've tried in recent months. Our server mentioned "Hiwalay siya." (It will be separate) pertaining to the Zhachiang dish which didn't really struck a cord to me at first. But an A-HA moment came to me once I saw how the dish was presented. The noodles were placed separately on a plate topped with sliver of pork meat that was ever so tender and lavished with a tomato based sauce with notes of hoisin sauce. The sauce was mildly spicy, too. And the soup the came with the noodle dish was flavorful beyond compare. I still can't believe an outstanding dish with a serving that could possibly accommodate two to three people would only cost P100.00.


starbucks at lucky chinatown


The only downside to this wonderful experience at Wa Ying, we ended up too full to try out other food places we listed down to visit. We should have asked our servers beforehand how big the portions would be on the dishes we ordered so we could come up with an eating plan of sort. We also need to cut our Binondo trip short because Gael was asked by her Tita to do some errands for her later that day. 


Before we leave, I specifically mentioned to Gael my intention to visit Starbucks Coffee at Lucky Chinatown Mall. I was quite intrigued to check out the interiors of this Starbucks branch which was said to be Chinese-inspired.


counter


Chinese-inspired interiors


Chinese-inspired interiors (1)


We bravely braced the heat stricken pavement and walked for almost like a mile to reach Lucky Chinatown mall. I even had a nosebleed while we walked alongside 168 Mall. I just have to pop a prescribed capsule (Hemostan) I brought with me to stop the bleeding. But I forgot all this drama once we reached the mall and felt the soothing coolness of the centralized AC.


The Starbucks Coffee branch in the Lucky Chinatown Mall was unlike any of the branch I visited of this Seattle-based coffeeshop franchise. The stools, the counter, the lanterns hanging overhead was unmistakably Chinese. They even once played a Chinese song during our stay here through the centralized speakers. It really brought the Starbucks Coffee experience here in Binondo to a whole new level.




vanilla frapp


french toast


french toast (up-close)


cafe mocha


Gael had the Vanilla Frapp and I had the Cafe Mocha. I ordered French Toasts for us to share. A good ending to our Binondo Trip that I'm sure won't be the last. 


gael


chubby me


Thanks again to my friend Gael for accompanying me to this wonderful Binondo trip. Hope next time we could visit a few more food places and experience our own Chinatown to the fullest.


wa ying; binondo


WA YING FASTFOOD


Along Benavidez Street (along the street where you would see Mazuki) in Binondo Manila


Starbucks Coffee in Lucky Chinatown Mall


G/F Lucky Chinatown Mall
21 Reina Regente St.
Binondo, Manila

No comments:

Post a Comment