Friday, August 28, 2015

Me & My Love Affair w/ Coffee (Last Part)

flat white

It's been a while, I know. Been stumped lately. But if it would interest you, here's a few more coffee shops that I've enjoyed visiting recently.

Starbucks Reserve

a barista showing off on how to prepare a brew specially offered in Starbucks Reserve

The popularity of 3rd wave coffee shops in the country also prompted US based coffee shop franchise giant to join in the craze. And I like the vibe more of the Starbucks Reserve than the other regular Starbucks branches. It has a more sleek feel to it. 

The beautiful Starbucks Reserve store in Signa Residences

another interior shot at Starbucks Reserve in Signa Residences

You see how classy the interiors of the Starbucks Reserve look with the accent of wood and the nice touch of industrial piping on the high ceiling. 

Chocolate crepe, muffin and scone

a hot coffee brew and eclair

But more than the outstanding interior, it's the coffees and pastries selection that one should really go for in any of the Starbucks Reserve branches, since some of the brews and  desserts line up are not found in any of the regular Starbucks outlets.











various outlets

********************

Local Edition Coffee & Tea

Local Edition in Makati

My first visit to Local Editon was unsuccessful. They're already closed (at 7PM?!?!) the first time I swung by. Two of the baristas already folding the tables with umbrellas positioned just right outside their coffee shop. Since, I'm in dire need of a caffeine fix I went to Glorietta and content myself with Bizu's offering of coffee and a dessert. Not that I'm complaining. I love Bizu! It's just that I wanted a more relax time with my coffee. Plus I brought a book with me, hoping I would have a some privacy with my book and my cup of joe. And the noise level of the crowded Bizu branch, plus the barrage of noise coming from outside failed to offer me such luxury.


flat white and walnut rhum cake

I was successful on my second attempt since I made it a point to drop by Local Edition before sundown. Though I really have issues with coffees being served on take out cups I would forgive Local Editon on this matter since their take away cups are a class by itself. And who wouldn't like the whimsy touch of putting an iced gem biscuit on top of the coffee cups they're serving? I grew up with this snack biscuits made by Khong Guan and I couldn't help but get 'the feels' as I ate it. If only they added some more of those little biscuits. Maybe five of these, perhaps? But my craving for sweet was fully satiated with a slice of their Walnut Rhum Cake which is nicely moist. I happily chased it down with my order of Flat White.
















116 Perea St
Legaspi Village, Makati

www.localediton.ph


********************

Tsokonut.Batirol


Tsoko.Nut Batirol in Eastwood


I like Tsoko.Nut Batirol for a number of reasons but primarily because it screams nationalism and being proud of Pinoy heritage by incorporating local ingredients and produce on its menu. 


frappe and yema cake

The hot tsokolate here is always a pleasure to partake but on this visit to Tsoko.Nut, the weather is torridly hot so I decided to try the frappe. It's good but nothing compared to a hot tsokolate. Their Yema Cake with swirls of hot caramel and topped with toasted pinipig is equally pleasing, too.













G/F Excelsior Eastwood
Eastwood Ave., Bagumbayan
Quezon City

********************

Cafe Pronto at Marco Polo Hotel


Cafe Pronto at Marco Polo Ortigas

I usually avoid cafes and restaurants situated inside hotels. Find it too posh for my taste. But Cafe Pronto at Marco Polo Ortigas offers a more laid back vibe that wasn't at all intimidating. 


frappe, gelato and a fully loaded piece of brownie

I usually go for the hot coffee but the torrid heat forced me to order a frapp. Sandwiches and savory quiches can also be had here as well as an abundance of breads but I naturally chose their sweeter counterparts, a brownie loaded with nuts and chocolate and a small cup of gelato. 
the biggest macaron I've ever seen

It might be worthy to note that Cafe Pronto offers the largest macaron I've ever seen. Just look at the size of that Chocolate Dipped Raspberry Macaron







Marco Polo Hotel Ortigas
Meralco Avenue and Sapphire Street
Ortigas Center

www.marcopolohotels.com


********************

Coffee Empire


Coffee Empire in West Avenue

Going to Coffee Empire in West Avenue is quite a trek. Especially if you're not that familiar on that part of Quezon City, one could easily get lost which pretty much what happened to me. At one point I found myself staring at Fisher Mall and that famous upscale girly bar Pegasus, so I have to retrace my track to go back to West Avenue.

iced latte

an upclose shot

And the trek was worth it. The interiors of Coffee Empire is impressive, and it's a sprawling space too with a bar area to boot, adining area and more room on the second floor. I ease myself in the bar area and ordered an Iced Latte, a salve from the heat and tiredness due to too much walking.

chowder

chicken kiev


To brand Coffee Empire as a coffee shop is an understatement since they have quite a number of starters and main to choose from. What I had on this visit is their Bacon & Potato Chowder and Chicken Kiev w/ Shiitake Cream. Both filling and pleasing. From what I gather they've already updated their menu since my last visit so a return trek to Coffee Empire is in order.

latte

death by chocolate

oozing with chocolatey goodness

I always end my meal with dessert and the pretty barista highly recommends the Death By Chocolate. She even sigh as she said it, as if it tell the bliss that I would experience with this dessert. And it was indeed a sigh worthy chocolate dessert, just look at all those chocolate oozing out from it.
















74 West Avenue
West Triangle, Quezon City

www.coffeeempire.com.ph

********************
Toby's Estate



Among the third wave coffee shops that studded the metro right now, I must say that Toby's Estate is my absolute fave.


Toby's Estate Ortigas branch


impressive counter


impressive placemat with a mystic light

The reason of my deep affection with Toby's Estate is that it seems you would never have a bad cup here. But trekking all the way to the busy streets of Makati might be too much of a hassle for me who lives in Pasig. So when I've learned that they've finally branched out in Ortigas, I scuttled myself there soonest. And glad to learn it's as spacious as their Makati branch.


chocolate chai and calamansi pie

The barista had a hard time balancing the coffee and the dessert that I ordered that I almost thought that he ruined the latte art of my Chocolate Chai. But it doesn't matter, I was satisfied with it, ruined latte art or not. Same thing with the Calamansi Pie, a stellar combination of mildly sour and sweet that I finished it in no time. Sans crumbs. 


I *heart* my latte











Robinsons's Cyberscape Beta
Ruby Road. Ortigas

********************

Coffee Grounds



Who would have thought that one would find a cozy coffee shop in Taytay? A cafe that you would want to while away time with a book while sipping your favorite brew? I would always notice the enticing ambience of Coffee Grounds (which is actually a revamped version of Mocha Blends) whenever I would pass by it on my way to Antipolo to visit my relatives and cousins. So intrigued by it that I took it upon myself to visit Coffee Grounds one day and I immediately fallen in love with it at first sight.




The Speculoos Cookie frapp drink that I had is indeed pleasing and comforting. The hot drink that I tried equally so, I only forgot what specific drink this one is, but I liked how they lovingly smothered my drink with whipped cream and finished it with chocolate powder. The cakes appeased me well, too. The Red Velvet Cake is by far the best I've tried and the Chocolate Cake is wonderfully moist and immensely chocolatey.





















Valley Fair Town Center
Km 19, Ortigas Avenue Ext
Taytay, Rizal



********************

Habitual Coffee




Imagine drinking your brew of choice while surrounded by fine upholsteries and arts. That's what you would get at Habitual Coffee situated inside the Lifestyle Edition Store in Ortigas Home Depot. One could opt to stay at the bar area but if you find the stool to high for comfort you can utilize some of the chairs and table right in front of the coffee bar. 

The torrid heat outside opted me to buy the Cold Brew Mojito. The minty aftertaste complements and doesn't distract with the milky flavor of this brew. To nibble with, I also ordered a Blondie, the fairer counterpart of brownies. 




I would be remiss if I didn't try a hot cup here at Habitual so I ordered a Latte, which has always been my choice of coffee. And it does satiates my craving for a milky cup of joe that day.

Another time, I swing back to Habitual to try a coffee drink that really piqued my curiosity after reading a description of it from various sites online. The coffee drink is called Old Habits Die Hard, a cold brew that's infused with chocolate and frothed milk. But don't be fooled, the coffee on this brew is strong. I felt all wired up right after finishing this drink. But that is not a bad thing, does it? *wink*

I've read on their official Facebook site that they've scratched out their Ortigas Home Depot address and was now relocated in Makati. I've yet to confirm if this is true and might write about it soon here. If time and the creativity flow of the mind permits. =)














Unit C 14 B
Ortigas Home Depot
Julia Vargas, Pasig City

www.facebook.com/habitualcoffee

























No comments:

Post a Comment