Friday, September 4, 2015

Food Prowl in Lilac Street

claypot noodle soup 


Marikina is, no doubt, a treasure trove for those on the prowl for good food. I, for one, have a list of food places to visit here. But the seemingly maze-like streets and passageways could scare people like me who's directionally challenged. Good thing I have a number of friends who are well-versed with the nooks and crannies of Marikina. So now I'm quite confident that I could now pay Lilac Street a visit which I was clueless before on how to get there.

Mogu Tree Noodle House

Laksa Claypot Noodle

a selection of add-ons to your claypot

a closer look (photo by Lei)

I usually travel alone with already something in mind on which restaurant I would visit but on this hike to Lilac Street, it was Lei who did all the suggestions. Not only that she would also be my food trip buddy, which is a welcome thing for me. This time I have someone to gush over the food with. 

Our first stop is the Mogu Tree Noodle House with a make-your-own shabu-shabu concept in mind. I was floored on the number of items you could put to your hotpot. There's crabmeat balls, mozzarella cheeseballs, enoki and shiitake mushrooms and gindara tofu (which is my favorite).


My own selection of noodle and add-ons for my claypot

Lei's laksa claypot (photo by Lei)

herbal tea

I just can't help but admire the burst of colors on my soon-to-be-claypot of noodle soup. Both my friend Lei and I opted for the laksa to be used as our soup base. We waited for several minutes while they prepare our claypot noodle and when it arrive it came smoldering in its each of our claypots. I could even see the bubbles actively swirling on it, a clear evidence of the intense heat. I quickly dived my spoon, almost scalded my tongue. But the delicious umami-filled soup enveloped me completely. The noodles firm to the bite and the all the rest of the ingredients we put to our claypots intertwined to create a very memorable noodle dish.

In between slurps, me and Lei were already discussing of the other restaurant we intend to visit that day. I kept wiping the beads of sweat off my face as Lei prep me of what to expect on this restaurant cafe. I was more keen to try the desserts. My mind already frolicking on the prospect of trying their cupcakes with jaunty frosting. So I hurriedly finished my claypot so we could sauntered there pronto.



60 E Lilac Street
Hacienda Heights
Marikina

*********
Alyanna's Cakes & Cafe

dessert display at Alyanna's

Truth be told when my friend Lei first suggested that we would try Alyanna's Cakes & Cafe, I initially find the name a bit too dainty. But then again, I won't be swayed by 'first name impression' (if there's such a thing) especially when Lei told me that the desserts here are really must tries. 

lasagna roll

tuna mushroom melt

But before we dig in on the dessert, we first tried some of the savory items from Alyanna's menu. The Lasagna Roll, an ode to Banapple's lasagna roll-up for sure is pleasing, with equal amounts of meat, cheese and tomato sauce to coat the lasagna sheets... or rolls. The Tuna Mushroom Melt would guarantee to make your mouth water with its surfeit amount of shredded mozzarella cheese. A perfect partner to its side of green salad with vinegared dressing.


melon cucumber slush (?)

white chocolate green tea frappe

I got to try Lei's healthy drink which exact name escapes me now (I think it's called Melon Cucumber Slush) which was really refreshing. And I was floored after taking a sip of my White Chocolate Green Tea Frappe. It's really good. Even better than the green tea frappe that I usually order at Starbucks.

blueberry cheesecake

cupcakes and tea


pancakes and fruits medley

Of course, I wouldn't leave Alyanna's without trying out their sweet offerings. Lei highly recommends to me the Blueberry Cheesecake, a luscious, creamy cheesecake that I still dream about. Yes, it's that good! I would definitely order this again when I swing back. The cupcakes are also noteworthy to try. I'm particularly pleased with the Banana Hazelnut and the Peppermint Kiss cupcakes we tried. We gladly consumed these sweet treat while we chased it down with the English Breakfast Tea. I was only not too keen with the Buttermilk Pancakes & Fruits Medley. In spite of the syrup, the pancake itself was dry. But that's only a minor quibble since the rest of the food we ate here are really commendable.

They were still in Soliven Avenue near Lilac Bridge when this visit to Alyanna's happened but I learned that they've already moved to a much bigger space in Rikland Center in Marcos Highway. I will let you know and document it here once I visited their new dig on that part of Rizal.


lei and chubby me

It's always a pleasure, Lei to have you as my food trip buddy. And I'm sure this wouldn't be the last. Hope our plan to dine out with the rest of our 'Cainta' gang pushes through before this year ends. 










203 Rikland Center
Marcos Highway, Antipolo





No comments:

Post a Comment