Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Ramen, Noodle Soup & Other Comforting Rainy Food

Bulalo Soup at Sabao (Oh, how I wish they re-open soon!)

Rainy season calls for something piping hot to slurp and savor. And here are some of the comforting food I do crave especially when the weather is dreary and cold.


Mr. Ube


laksa

Korean beef noodle soup

I feel so fortunate that there's a Mr. Ube branch near me. I could always have their delicious Asian fare whenever I have an earnest craving for it. Aside from the Eng Bee Tin hopia that you could purchase here, I also liked the noodle soups. The Singaporean Laksa is a restorative bowl of umami filled goodness with a tingling of spice with each sip. But my favorite is the Korean Beef Noodle Soup. Startling in its red color, but don't get scared of it. It's not that spicy. I still even added a few more drops of chili oil to increase the heat level of the soup. I had this bowl of Korean beef one stormy night and I just have no words to amply describe how satisfyingly delicious this noodle soup is.

MR UBE
Lucky Gold Plaza
Ortigas Extension
Pasig City
*******************
Causeway Seafood Restaurant


congee

dumplings

I initially wanted to just have a cup of my usual milky hot joe at a nearby Starbucks when I spied Causeway as I'm walking along Metropoli in Libis. On a whim, I decided to try it. I've read that they do offer very affordable Chinese cuisine and I do want some to have some congee. The Congee is presented with pieces of chips and slices of century egg but my eyes are glued at the raw egg slightly hidden into this mix like a golden sun suddenly peeking behind clouds. I'm very happy. I lunged at the congee ravenously while picking up some dimsums as accompaniments in between spoonfuls. And yes, the dimsums here are also great.

CAUSEWAY SEAFOOD RESTAURANT
53 Eulogio Rodriguez Avenue
Libis, Quezon City

*******************
Hokkaido Ramen Bangaichi

spicy miso ramen

I've always been curious to try this small ramen place near the Galleria arcade/internet shop section at the basement area. Hokkaido Ramen Bangaichi shares this space with Pho Hoa and Jack's Loft so I would guess they're all under the same owner. I had the Spicy Miso Ramen. The bowl is huge and I could definitely need a companion to finish this ramen dish but I find the soup itself a little underwhelming. And I need to thoroughly mix and match some spices to get the desirable heat that I wanted since this spicy ramen ain't have no spice.

HOKKAIDO RAMEN BANGAICHI
Robinsons Galleria
EDSA cor Ortigas Avenue
Quezon City
*******************
Hanamaruken Ramen

One drizzly afternoon, I sought for a cafe but I was told they're not open. Don't want to settle for Starbucks as default so I decided to try Hanamaruken Ramen which also owned by the peeps of Wrong Ramen so I know I'm in good hands.


The assemblage of their Chasyu Ramen is absolutely stunning. Notice how the noodles are arranged in a swirling manner in this bowl. A technique, I believe, with the chopsticks used as implement in swirling the noodles as you scoop it to achieve that funnel-like appearance. The tonkastsu broth is very clean tasting and the braised pork belly is absolutely tender soft. A delight to the tongue as the meat melts yieldingly.

HANAMARUKEN RAMEN
The Grove by Rockwell
E Rodriguez Jr Rd cor CE Road
Pasig City
*******************
Mendokoro Ramenba

ceremony before the dinner service

tantanmen

Among the ramen places listed here, Mendokoro Ramenba is my absolute favorite. They have a nifty, cool ceremony as they open for the dinner service. I've read on some online reviews that they have a seating system wherein if you have a dining companion, you might end up not seating together. But since the dinner crowd on the night of my visit is not that many, it wasn't strictly implemented. Bummer! I was actually hoping that I would be assigned a seat next to a cute guy who also have a ramen craving that night. He-he!

But the ramen dish is just wonderful. The Tantanmen is outstanding. A milky broth with a delicious heat that resonates on the palate. I'd gladly recommend this to all my non-ramen eating friends and it would definitely make them an instant convert.

MENDOKORO RAMENBA
G/F V Corporate Center
Soliman Street
Salcedo Village
Makati City

*******************
Masuki


mami and siopao

Whether you call it Ma Mon Luk or Masuki, it still serves the same wonderful mami that one could gladly savor during rainy days. I'd choose Masuki over any fast food restaurant whenever I see one. Of course, eating mami in Masuki will not be complete without their siopao. A doughy delight packed with delicious, smoky meat inside.

MASUKI
G/F SM Megamall Building B
EDSA Street cor Julia Vargas
Mandaluyong City

*******************
Early Bird Breakfast Club


I maybe wary ordering savory dishes in Early Bird Breakfast Club because I just find the flavor iffy for some reason. But I do like their pancakes. And also their Champorado. Stunningly served in a mason-like jar with the Yin & Yang effect and the roasted dilis on the side added a rustic touch. I feel guilty ruining this masterpiece. But my empty stomach rules! And while you're at it, since Harry Potter & The Cursed Child is so in the news these days because of the release of the play script in book form, why not have your champorado with a dreamy, fizzy Butterbeer drink.

EARLY BIRD BREAKFAST CLUB
Eastwood Mall
Eastwood Avenue, Bagumbayan
Quezon City


No comments:

Post a Comment