Monday, June 18, 2018

Julesy At 39

Beer Cake
I subscribed to the adage that turning a year older is a milestone. That's why I always plan ahead whenever my birthday is imminent because you'll never know what will happen the next day. Yes, morbid as that may sound but it's true.


An Arty-Fartsy Nook/A Second Round Of Meal

food at Ella & The Blackbird

Or I should have called it my favorite quiet nook away from the bustling city. I've been to Ella & The Blackbird quite a few times already. Even before it was still called Craft Coffee Revolution, I've been frequenting this cafe in Esteban Abada. I've brought some of my friends here over the years and it's only appropriate I tagged along some more on this very special visit on the week of my birthday.

signage

interior
counter



It's been raining nonstop for days now and thankfully the weather let up a bit and we're considerably dry when we arrived here one Thursday afternoon. I was instantly enchanted at the wall containing art pieces from simple doodly drawings to intricately done watercolor paintings. It's my first time to see them up close since the previous times I was here, the couches and chairs near this artsy wall was usually crowded. 

skirt cheese burger

mocha

My friends decided to order the hefty rice meals like the Salpicao and the Salisbury Steak but I wasn't too keen to eat quite heavy that day so I settled for the Skirt Cheese Burger. Outstandingly presented with the deep fried cheese forming like a tutu skirt between the buns. It doesn't look like it but the burger is satisfyingly thick. I happily chased it down with the equally striking cup of Mocha. I only just wish I was asked on the doneness of the burger patty since I usually prefer my burger cooked medium.

chocolate lava

frozen brazo

Of course, a visit to Ella & The Blackbird is not complete without trying the Frozen Brazo. A scintillating layered affair of meringue and ice cream (mantecado, I believe) on a graham crust. We're all floored upon first bite. We also adored the Chocolate Lava Cake. A moist cake with a chewy-chocolatey center topped with a slowly melting vanilla ice cream. It's a delicious, sweet bliss I wish it would never end.

My friends were not quite satiated yet and wanted to glug down some milkshakes. We tried to visit Starr's Famous Milkshake in the Esteban Abada area however parking is a bit of a stretch and the milkshake shop is full of patrons that getting comfortable seats prove nil. We crossed the option to visit another Starr's branch in UP Town Center for fear that parking would be worst there. 


enchanting nook at Up In The Clouds

a newest addition to the food park landscape dotting Maginhawa

We decided to traverse the long winding road of Maginhawa. We're trying to find A Taste Of Heaven but what we ended up finding is the striking facade of Up In The Clouds. I'm already checking out the menu at the counter when my friends asked me that we leave in haste since they just had an unsavory encounter with an impolite staff regarding seating. Oh well! I might come here myself next time.

We walked a little bit and found ourselves checking out a newest addition to the ever growing number of food parks in Maginhawa called Central Park. We did find a stall selling temptingly good milkshakes however my friends were worried about the impending rain and ending up getting soaked since cover for such inclement weather are scarce on food parks.

at Brown's Gourmet

table setting

eggs Benedict

I suggested we go back to Katipunan so they could try out the milkshakes at Sweet Xcstasy. Little did I know it already closed shop in the Regis Center branch.We finally threw away our plan of getting our brain freeze with milkshakes and decided to get yet another full service meal at Brown's Gourmet, also in Regis Center.

The meal was a little underwhelming. The bread used for the Eggs Benedict I ordered was too soggy to cradle the poached egg and the meat slices. The hollandaise sauce also had an iffy taste I couldn't quite place. I ended up enjoying the sides of baby potatoes and green salad in a spicy vinaigrette more. I looked at my companions and they're also exhibiting the same fazed, dazed-out expressions while consuming their food, which mirrors my own. Oh, well! You win some, you lose some.

**********
Brunching With Nanay 


at The Gardens Brunch Cafe & Social House

look at those chandeliers

The next day, it's my turn to treat Nanay for brunch. I made it a point to tag her along if travel time is not that long. She constantly complains that her feet sores quite easily after a few minutes of walking and I wouldn't want to tax her more. So I choose The Garden Brunch Cafe & Social House at The Grove by Rockwell for our so-called date since it would only takes less than fifteen minutes travel time from our place to get here.

flat white

breakfast set

garden brunch pasta

We truly enjoyed our meals here. I only just find the American Breakfast Set I ordered was too minuscule for its size to be called an 'American breakfast' but I do like the sweet batter they've used for the pancakes and the crispiness of the bacon strips. I also forked my way through my Nanay's order of Garden Brunch Pasta. Al dente pasta, roasted vegetables cloaked in a delectable mushroom bacon cream sauce. I just have to laugh that an entire egg (shell and all) was placed right in the middle of the pasta plate. Nanay wasn't fond of soft-boiled egg so I scooped it up from the plate and appropriate it for my own consumption.

**********
A Piece Of Italy In Cubao


at Giovanni's Bar & Ristorante

I've been to Giovanni's Bar & Ristorante before and I really enjoyed their food so it's only fitting that a return trip is in order. This time around for my birthday dinner with my closest friends. 

montanara pizza

4 formaggi


pizze and tortellini

strozzapreti al salmone

Nutella tiramisu

Some of the pictures you now see are photos taken by my friend from her mobile phone. She scolded me that I should always take food pictures 'aerial shot' to make it more impressive-looking. I couldn't agree more. So I used her photos as opposed to mine since the photos I took looked lame compared to hers. 

We truly enjoyed the brick-oven pizzas they're serving. The dough itself was delightfully chewy with the characteristic charred edges. We got the Montanara, an overloaded pizza of homemade sausages, ham and spicy salami and the 4 Formaggi which consists of mozzarella, Gorgonzola cheese, Emmental cheese and parmesan. The pizza here is of high quality. Even my friend said it's very quite similar to the pizza that she tried on a restaurant in Coron, Palawan. A caveat, eat it while it's hot. The pizza adapts a cloying aftertaste once it gotten cold. Might as well ask if it can be reheated. 

I held back ordering the usual pasta dishes (though it's tempting to order the familiar ones like the lasagna and the puttanesca). So the Tortellini graced our table. A ring shaped pasta stuffed with ricotta cheese and spinach doused with pomodoro sauce. We also had the Strozzapreti al Salmone, squid ink strozzapreti (or elongated cavatelli pasta), a delectably chewy hybrid of pasta awashed with cream and chunks of cooked salmon. 

Of course, a meal will never be complete without dessert. I've been eyeing the dessert counter since we set foot here and I'm intrigued by the Nutella Tiramisu. A classic tiramisu served with generous lashes of Nutella on top instead of cocoa powder. When the server learned I'm celebrating my birthday that night, she immediately perched a pink candle on top of the cake. I quickly blow the candle after saying a quick prayer so I could get my first dib on the dessert, which I might say is really, really good.



**********
A Sort Of Epilogue/Outro

a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream

cool, creamy bliss

Sunday the following morning, after attending church I went to the nearest Shopwise branch so I could do what I've been planning for the longest time: to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream all by myself while nibbling on a fast food fried chicken. And boy, it was bliss!

books hauled

I've also been busy lately spending my free time reading as much books as I can that's why I have put my online blog on the back burner somewhat. My unread books are piling up that it nearly freaks me out just staring at it. But that doesn't stop me from buying more books whenever I sauntered to a number of thrift shops I frequent. Now more than ever did I realize how the age old adage rings true: So many books, so little time.


~~~Julesy~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment