Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Food Sanctuary Discovery

pasta Arriabiatta at Naci

I always feel giddy whenever I try a new restaurant. The food establishment may not be necessarily new, more like it's my first time to try out the food of that particular establishment. So, you could just imagine how excited I was to try out Naci Comfort Food & Dessert Bar. I invited my friend Gael to join me. This was more like my birthday lunch treat. I got so excited it came to a point that I became unsure where the specific location of Naci is. All I just know it's near Amici in Connecticut Street in Greenhills. If I didn't open my phone browser and log on to Facebook and check Naci's address on their Facebook page, we might have gone elsewhere. Thanks to the good-natured guard whom we asked for directions where Fox Square Building is. Apparently it's also the same building that housed Conti's. Gael lightly scolded me because of my misguided sense of directions.


@Naci

bar

bar (1)

We arrived here a little after one o'clock in the afternoon. The lighting was rather subdued and moody. But we're not the only lonesome diners. We spied a group of students from a nearby school occupying a larger booth in one corner. After we scanned the menu and gave out our orders, one of us asked if there's a smoking area (I'm not going to pinpoint who *wink*), and we were gracefully led to a strikingly brilliant area in stark contrast to the dark dining room we stayed earlier, thanks to the glass paned windows. I immediately noticed a Gretsch drum set perpendicular to where we chose to seat. I surmised that the smoking area that we were led to transforms to a bar at night where a sultry diva croons some jazz music from the musical Chicago clad in an elegant designer outfit and shimmering jewelries, I would have imagine.

red vanilla iced tea

banana shake

Tita Em's Chowder

beef taco spring rolls

We started off with some appetizers. The Beef Taco Spring Rolls (P210.00) was really, really good. Best when dipped with the provided sour cream or partner it with the included tomato salsa. My only complaint was that they didn't remove (or maybe forgotten due to hasty preparation) the excess oil. But nevertheless, I was quite happy with it. For the soup, our server highly recommended the Tita Em's Chowder (P175.00). Rich, thick and creamy with shrimps, corn kernels and bacon bits. This soup was so good that Gael finished it all off with me providing minimal assistance.

Drinks were also provided as we started munching down the starters. Gael had the Red Vanilla Iced Tea (P75.00) with a very scintillating red color, while I had the Banana Shake (P85.00) which I'm head over heels for. I never thought I would love a banana milkshake this much. The banana flavor was not overpowering, very creamy. This drink was absolutely divine.

pasta arriabiatta

Nadine's Adobo Cannelloni

Peking Chicken Pasta

Then we moved on to the carbo-loading part of the meal. I'm such a sucker for spicy pasta so I easily ordered the Pasta Arriabiatta (P150.00). Still haunted by the super delicious arabiatta pasta I tried at Galileo Enoteca, Naci's own version was also commendable. Even if it is a spicy dish, it wasn't off-putting and you can still taste the flavor of the tomato sauce mingled with red wine and the occasional chopped bacon. Gael, who also adores spicy food much more than I do, liked the Arriabiatta dish that she almost forgotten her own order of Nadine's Adobo Cannelloni (P300.00). This one I liked, too. The Bechamel sauce was really creamy with hints of the adobo sauce, has a stringy quality to it because of the mozzarella. It was a classic Filipino dish done with a twist, but done so perfectly.

When my eyes spied the Peking Chicken Pizza (P495.00), I was instantly intrigued and ordered for it. It was a sight to behold when it graced our table. Eye-catching with strips of the roasted chicken, Chinese sausages and scrambled eggs. It's really good. Although, I prefer thick crust over thin crust, this one would suffice. I also asked for a Tabasco sauce bottle not realizing that they already provided a separate bowl of chili flakes to sprinkle onto the pizza. Unmindful me he-he!

our orders

By this time, we already slowed down our eating and took long pauses. Realizing that it would be impossible for us to finish all of these food before us, Gael beckoned one of our waitstaff and ask for take-out. There goes a sigh of relief. But I wouldn't leave Naci without trying any of their desserts. It would be insane not to. Not right after we saw all the wonderful cakes and pastries inside the display case that seem to beckon for us when we entered earlier.

hot green tea

cappuccino

pistachio chocolate cupcake

creme brulee

So, we decided to have some coffee, tea and some desserts before we finally leave. Gael originally wanted to have the Chamomile Tea but it was not available so she changed it to the Hot Green Tea (P55.00), the order comes with a teapot so one can have all the tea he/she wants. Gael like the tea so much. She said it has a soothing effect of sorts. I drank some and it's really good. I guess all good tea has that effect on people, don't you think so? ;) I had a Cappuccino (P95.00), hot and frothy, a nice caffeine fix to go along with our desserts. 

Gael initially didn't want to order dessert since she already reached her limit as far as stomach space. But when she saw the Pistachio Chocolate Cupcake (P70.00/piece) her reservations flew out the window. She happily demolished this cake in no time.

My heart beats however for the Crème Brûlée (P130.00). Caramelized sugar protecting a pool of custard goodness. My heart made an energetic somersault and a tap dance after I took a spoonful. Good stuff!

me & gael

Naci; Greenhills

Thanks again to my friend, Gael for sharing this wonderful meal with me and forgetting her diet on this special birthday lunch. The question is: Will I go back to Naci? My response would be a resounding 'Yes!'.

2/F Fox Square Building
Connecticut St.
Greenhills, San Juan

726-7266


No comments:

Post a Comment