Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sweet Euphoria

Roca at Park Avenue Desserts

Having just a one day off can be a pain in the neck. The need to cram all the things that you need to do at a limited time can be a stressful thing by itself. To abate that, one must need to calm down, breathe slowly and seek solace on food that comforts you. Nowadays, my comfort food lean towards desserts and other sweet, sugary stuff. But I don't want just any other dessert this time. I wanted eat a dessert that's ravishingly good it would make me forget all of my current woes and worries.

Yesterday (Saturday morning, Manila time), my initial plan was to go to Mall Of Asia with some friends to try out Bistro Ravioli (an Italian restaurant that started out as a food stall in Robinsons Galleria's food court) and Sebastian's Ice Cream Studio. But one incident led to another that I have to cancel the plan entirely. However, my unrealized plan proved to be a blessing in disguise since it open an opportunity for me to finally try Park Avenue Desserts by award winning pastry chef Buddy Trinidad which I've been pining to try out for months now. Although, I almost...almost decided to go Eastwood City to witness the Axe Philippines' Anarchy Raid event, but my foodie heart's earnest plead was unmistakable that resulted to a travel en route to Paseo de Magallanes instead.

dessert quotes graffiti

inside PAD

table setting

Since I'm so unreliable when it comes to direction, it took me quite a while before I figure out the exact place where PAD is. It came to a point that I almost gave up while I rested at the Magallanes park, sweating profusely because of the heat and knees already numbed due to continuous walking. I refused to give in to the temptation to walk back to Alphaland Southgate Mall and just eat there. Not that I don't want to eat at any of those restaurants residing at Alphaland (which were quite a few that includes Chef D'Angelo, Le Coeur de France and Sizzling Pepper Steak) but I didn't travel this far just to eat at restaurants that I could also access on a much nearer proximity. Undeterred, I continued with my walk and soon enough I saw PAD's tarp on one of the posts as I neared the building of Maga Center.

I find PAD's space quite chic and charming, although admittedly it is quite small. But its the smallness of the place that makes it appeals to me more. It's like a mini-patisserie that could make all of your dessert's dreams and desires come to life.

caramel macchiato

Spanish sardine pasta

I took a quick look at the wonderful, lovely cakes and pastries proffered on the display case but my eyes settled at the savory offering shown on the chalkboard menu. I was hungry after all and must be fed properly. I made a mental note though to order the desserts right after.

I ordered conservatively for the lunch part of my meal, just a plate of pasta and a coffee, since I'm also planning to demolish as many desserts as I can. I've learned in lessons past not to be takaw-mata (ordering more food based on what my eyes fancy instead of basing it to what my stomach could hold or sustain). It proved to be a smart decision since the serving of the Spanish Sardine Pasta (P260.00) was huge. It was good enough for two people to share. I do have a penchant for Spanish sardines so this pasta variant was my easy bet. Pasta was cooked so perfectly, the canned sardine pieces tumbled about while it's oil clung to each noodles strands to provide just a vestige of spice. I also spied black olives and capers that provided flavor and added saltiness to the pasta dish. Topped with what I think were edam cheese, this sardine pasta stole my heart from the get-go. Although I would also want to try the Mushroom Tarragon w/ Truffle Cream next time.

The Caramel Macchiato (P120.00) was insanely good. It has strong notes of caramel  equaled by the unabashed flavor of the espresso. The coffee was already sweet enough that the provided sweetener was deemed necessary.


red velvet cake


salted caramel macaron


matcha green tea frappuccino


I couldn't help but feel giddy when it's time for me to order desserts. I appreciated that the Red Velvet Cake (P150.00), which the girl at the counter enthusiastically recommended, was moist and soft with a velvety cream cheese frosting, however I just find it a tad bit too sweet. I even felt the sugar crystals grating in between my gnashing teeth with every forkful of this dessert. I do love the Salted Caramel Macarons (P30.00), it shatters when bitten and the salty sweet caramel filling was absolutely divine. I should have ordered more of this. The Matcha Green Tea Frappuccino (P120.00) provided a nice balance in between the desserts I've eaten. A soothing cold dessert drink that is not too sweet. The elegant tall glass reminded me so much of the glasses used at Fleur De Lys.


Roca


But the runaway winner among the desserts that I've tried was the Roca (P175.00). A velvety rich chocolate mousse, it kind of reminded of eating a dark chocolate bar in cake form. It even has a surprise cream filling at its center. The sliced almonds provided the crunch and texture to this otherwise smooth chocolate dessert cake. This is one dessert that I'm totally enraptured. 


Park Avenue Desserts; Maga Center


I now have a special place in Makati that I can go to if I'm craving for some wonderful sweet treat that is whimsical enough for me to utter a sigh before I gobble it all up and a chic cafe/patisserie without the exorbitant price tag.



#7, G/F Maga Center
Paseo de Magallanes Commercial Center
Makati City

852-6141

No comments:

Post a Comment