Sunday, April 21, 2013

Selecting At Random

2013-03-23-4129
truffle pasta at Monsees

I've been eating to a lot of fast foods lately. It's the usual rounds of Jollibee, McDonald's, KFC and Wendy's. Save for a few occasion that we go to Lasapin, a 24-hour food court located at the ground floor of Strata 2000 Building. But it's usually a chore going there, considering the distance from the office I worked for (walking under the intense heat of the summer sun, at that). Although a friend of mine usually complains that the smells brought by the food being prepared at various stalls inside the food court area tends to cling to clothes; and that averse her. I do bring pack lunches everyday especially prepared by my Tita so getting too used (in Tagalog, umay) to fast foods does not pose as an immediate problem. But my friends and co-workers usually don't have baons with them; and food being sold at the pantry usually doesn't appeal to them. So off we go to their chosen fast food of the moment. And the mere fact that I accompany them so I could eat lunch with them, I feel somewhat obligated to order something. Usually a sundae, a Frosty Swirl (choices of KitKat or Butterfinger), Milo Mix-ins soft serve or if I have extra money to spend, the whole nine yards of a burger, fries and drinks combo.
So during my weekends off, I make it a point to reward myself and at least eat to food places that are not 'so-called' labelled fast food joints. To visit restaurants that I've never been to but highly regarded by foodie individuals (e.g. food bloggers I follow) that I hold to high esteem. This time though, I wanted to visit a food place that I haven't heard of before. A restaurant that I haven't read yet somewhere. Off I went then to Katipunan (White Plains side) with no clear plan and with the 'let's-see-where-my-feet-takes-me' mindset. 

2013-03-23-4124
breads on display

2013-03-23-4131
dining area

2013-03-23-4125
a sight of the blackboard menu and more breads on display

As I began my pace after a long ride from a jeepney, various food places caught my fancy. Pan de Amerikana (with it's rather outlandish facade. You better see it to believe it), the very cozy looking cafe of Raintree Teashop, and the kiddie inspired look of Dexter's Bakeshop. But what stopped me dead center from my musing and walking was what seemed to look like a pristine looking first storey building with a rather 'in-your-face' signage which state itself as Cafe Monsees.

2013-03-23-4130
truffle pasta

Cafe Monsees is bakery cafe of sorts where one is encourage to buy breads to go. Apparently, Cafe Monsees has been around for quite sometime now (was even featured in spot.ph a few years ago), priding itself of breadsticks, Spanish bread with a buttery filling, delectable pastries, muffins and croissants. I'm a sucker for breads so it didn't took that much convincing from the server for me to stay and order to my heart's content.

I started off with the Truffle Pasta, a divine dish with the most creamiest sauce. I also appreciate the effort to prettify the dish with the use of two asparagus spears placed crosswise on top. On a normal day, I might not have finish the pasta because the serving is really big and might end up asking for half the portion of it to be packed to go. But I was already super hungry when I arrived to this bakery cafe and I wiped my plate clean in no time. Burp!


2013-03-23-4126
pastries and coffee


2013-03-23-4127
blueberry muffin


2013-03-23-4128
pain au chocolat

The embodiment of giddiness becomes me as soon as these bready and flaky delights were presented before me. The Pain Au Chocolat literally pained me when nothing was left of it but it's flaky remains. A lot of those little chocolate chips are hidden beneath it's fold so each bite of this flaky pastry is a guaranteed bliss.

The Blueberry Muffin is equally satisfying with it's streussel on top with tons (and I mean, tons!) of blueberry packed on this muffin's body. Soft and oh-so crumbly, easily the best blueberry muffin I had. Yummy! Both goes well with the cup of Cappuccino I ordered.


2013-03-23-4132
Cafe Monsees; Katipunan

I don't know why the server didn't offer me any of the cakes when I initially asked for desserts after I chose the pasta dish. I only belatedly saw the cakes just right off the left of the counter as I'm polishing off my blueberry muffin. I spied a Concorde, a Tiramisu and a Chocolate Cake. Well, at least there's a reason for me to drop by Cafe Monsees anytime soon.

1


wwww.facebook.com/MonseesCafe








No comments:

Post a Comment