Sunday, June 23, 2013

Something To Tide You Over This Rainy Season

2013-04-20-4265
congee at Luk Yuen

Rainy season is definitely in. Cool air coupled with the tippity tappity sounds of raindrops falling on the rooftops. While most of my friends abhor this 'most dreadful' of all season, I kinda like this rainy weather. Especially when indoors. Cuddling on your bed under the coverlet is the first image that comes to mind. Another one would be sitting lazily on the front porch, reading a mystery thriller while sipping a hot cocoa and the soundtrack would be the melodious sounds of rain falling to the ground.

2013-04-20-4261
table setting


But food is something that also needs to take into consideration. Something that would bring warm to the stomach and to the heart especially if the weather becomes bitterly cold. Ironically to some people I know, they crave for something cold to eat. In which case I'm guilty of the said deed on some occasions.

I was recently on a streak hankering for something Chinese. Not necessarily the fancy variety. A simple, straightforward (but good) Chinese food that would satisfy my girth is what I'm looking for. And Luk Yuen fits the bill quite perfectly.

2013-04-20-4266
halo-halo congee

2013-04-20-4282
with raw egg

Congee has so many variations or names depending on one's culture. Pinoys may call it lugaw, the Hispanics may call it arroz caldo, in North America it may be called rice porridge or gruel. One thing I know, congee is my favorite comfort food since childhood. I usually ask my Tita Ling (who's the [terrific] cook in the family) to prepare this during rainy days.

The Halo-Halo Congee that I tried at Luk Yuen satisfied me nonetheless. It's already very tasty (malasa) that I don't feel the need to put either patis (fish sauce) or soy sauce to it. And it has the works: century egg, pork strips, meatballs. I was just a little off put with the raw egg. Maybe I'm just used eating congee instead with hard boiled egg.


2013-04-20-4269
refreshments of Watermelon Shake and Iced Tea


2013-04-20-4272
Chicken Bento

I'm surprised to learn that Luk Yuen offers bento boxes. I chose the Chicken Bento which has boneless chicken meat in lemon sauce, chicken pouch dumplings, e-fu vegetable noodles (which is Cantonese in origin) and fried rice. I wasn't impressed with the chicken though. I find the sauce way to sweet. I ate more of the vegetable noodles. To think I'm not really into pancit (or any variety of rice noodles).


2013-04-20-4276
snow balls


2013-04-20-4280
asado siopao


2013-04-20-4281
yummy filling

Along with the bento, it also comes with a dessert called Snowballs. A buchi-like dessert adorned with dessicated coconut. 

As if the bento meal wasn't enough, I also ordered some Asado Siopao. Doughy little delights they are with a delicious meat filling that I can do without the provided sauce.


2013-04-20-4271
green tea pudding


2013-04-20-4284
almond lychee jelly

I know Chinese restaurants are not that big when it comes to concocting desserts but I'm quite happy with the ones offered here at Luk Yuen. The Green Tea Pudding has the silkiness compared to that of the panna cotta (which I guess this one is). And the Almond Lychee Jelly has that coolness and sweetness that it's so good it could make one forget about life's woes. It somehow reminded me more of taho, a more upscale version that is, swimming in delicious, clear and sweet syrup.

I'd say don't let the gloomy weather bother you. With food this good, the dreary season may not be too dreary after all. *wink*

1
www.lukyuen.com.ph

No comments:

Post a Comment