Sunday, July 1, 2012

A (Subversive) Pinoy Cuisine Like No Other

Sisa's Dementia at Pia Y Damaso

Among my circle of friends, Karen Anne seems to be the one who could keep up with my adventurous side when it comes to gastronomical finds. Most of my friends are inclined to eat at watering holes such as Giligan's, Dencio's and Isaw Haus; and the occasional Starbucks Coffee if they wanted to chill. I have no problems with that. In fact, I came to love some of the dishes offered on those watering holes. Especially the Oyster Rockefeller that I've tried at Blackbeard Seafood Island. But sometimes my palate cries out to try something different and beyond the norms. Of food set apart from the burgers, fries, Coke float and Sausage McMuffin with Egg that I've been consuming almost everyday at McDonald's ever since I started my work at a new office location.


menu

table setting

Then came Karen Anne to the rescue with a text message asking me if I could accompany her to check out the newest fashion collection of Plains & Prints being endorsed by Liz Uy at their boutique in Glorietta Mall. I was just planning to have a spa treatment and then move on to a low-key Persian restaurant in Cainta that day. After receiving Karen's message, my mind suddenly filled with light bulbs and sparks seemed to be flying out of my head. I immediately replied to Karen's message telling her if I would accompany her to that boutique if there's a way for us to try Restaurante Pia Y Damaso and then watch The Amazing Spider-Man with me as a bargain of sort. Thankfully, Karen agreed to my "conditions".

starters

almond stuffed dates with bacon

pumpkin puree

Damaso

Elias

After regarding their menu situated right outside the resto's entrance, we then marched inside only to find out that it was full house save for the lone table situated right beside the wall which we find too cramped and quite close to another table where two elegant ladies are already seated and chatting animatedly while nibbling on their house salad. Because of this, we opted to dine al fresco and chose a booth that has an umbrella on it to protect ourselves from the impending rain (which did materialize while waiting for our main courses).

While Karen and myself made our own preferences to our choice of mains, I was given free reign to choose for our starters. Karen wrinkled her nose when she heard me ordered the Almond Stuffed Dates w/ Bacon (P175.00), little did she know that she would love the sweet-salty-crunchy landscape of this appetizer. I myself was captivated by it as well.

Same goes with the Pumpkin Puree (P125.00) which we eagerly spooned the hot, thick liquid. The addition of slivers of sweet potato as garnish added a nice touch to it. I was inclined to order a salad dish with crocodile meat (the name of the salad escape me), however my friend denounced to eat anything with the reptilian's meat on it. Oh, well. Maybe next time.

Karen eagerly anticipated for us to have wines to go along with our meal. We chose to have Cosmopolitan-like drink albeit has different names (P200.00/per glass). Karen had the Elias which she was only able to finish half-way since she find her drink too minty to her taste. On the other hand, my order of Damaso has a more fruity flavor to it, slightly sweet with a bitter taste that trails along after each sip.

Quiroga Red Pork Ribs

Paella Valenciana

Ostrich Beef Steak w/ Guava Butter

Finally, our main orders arrived. We excitedly set aside our starters to dig in to those meats. The Quiroga Red Pork Ribs (P300.00) has a curious flavor of barbecue on it. The meat offered little resistance from the use of my fork and knife, although I would prefer it to be cooked medium well as oppose to well-done as Karen is wont to ask when ordering meat. 


The Paella Valenciana (P450.00) was sufficient enough for the two of us. Cooked sofrito-style, the organic rice was really flavorful. There's generous portions of marinated pork, chicken, fish fillet and mussels saved for the single prawn propped on the center that Karen was able to spear it with her fork before I could react.


The winning dish of the lot for me was the Ostrich Beef Steak w/ Guava Butter (P600.00). When Karen initially asked for it to be cook well done, I interjected right away and asked the meat be cook the way I like---no, make that want it, which is medium well. It's the first time for the two of us to try ostrich meat and I'm afraid cooking it well done would result to burnt and "dry as an aerosol" meat, thus rendering this monumental meat experience to waste. I don't want that to happen. The end product for this choice of cooking was a rewarding meat dish of unparalleled succulence. The ostrich meat was tender beyond compare. If my bistek would be cooked this way, I wouldn't mind eating this dish everyday. The sauteed onions and cabbage served as side dishes complimented the ostrich meat very well. Even the fried saba bananas was cooked perfectly.


ube shake

cappuccino

Sisa's Dementia


Ibarra's Kiss


Now it's time for us to order desserts. Karen intimated to have our desserts fix at Classic Confections. I told her the dessert selections at Pia Y Damaso are something that we shouldn't miss. Some people only come here just to try out the desserts.


First thing, I ordered Ube Shake (P200.00) to alleviate the somewhat strong and satiating taste of the wine. A bad combo, I know. But, hey! I'm far from being a wine connoisseur and I just order based on my mood and what I feel like having at that moment. Karen, in turn, had the Cappuccino (P95.00) and after one sip, she can't stop marveling it. She even adored the black and white motif of the cup and saucer. It's a straightforward looking cappuccino without the frills of latte art. Karen let me have a sip and it tasted like a hot coffee caramel drink.

When desserts came, we both sighed. I sighed mainly for the sugary sweet caress I'm about to partake, while Karen sighed because of the sheer sizes of the cakes handed down to us. Karen's choice (based on the waiter's recommendation) was Sisa's Dementia (P175.00),Pia Y Damaso's version of truffle cake. It has a white chocolate almond pastille, dark chocolate mousse and ganache. I loved this cake on first try and would like to have this cake all for myself the next time I visit.


While my order of Ibarra's Kiss (P175.00) was also good, the texture of the torten cake was too mousse-y for me to enjoy it at full throttle. The caramel cheese middle provided a nice balance on the very persistent chocolate flavor of the torten. Meanwhile, Karen and I nibbled at the candied orange confit placed on top of this cake which I mistook for a mango.


Diablo


it sizzles!


I was curious how a chili infused dessert would taste like. I saw Angel Aquino tried such dessert at a food trip segment on F from way back, albeit the one she tried was served in a martini glass. So, without hesitation I ordered Diablo (P150.00), a bittersweet chocolate pudding souffle with siling labuyo (red chili pepper) and served with cinnamon creme anglaise and caramelized fig compote. Once I had a spoonful of it, I immediately felt the scintillating heat from the chilis. I felt excitement on this dessert right away. The mingling taste of sweet and spicy flavor was unfamiliar but not at all unpleasant. Quite curious, Karen took a spoonful of the dessert with ample instruction from me to try it out just a little first. Karen didn't like anything spicy. She even find KFC's hot and crispy chicken too spicy for her to eat. True enough, her pensive look suddenly changed to bewilderment. The look on her face a reflection of uncertainty, curious eyes wide asking me telephatically why this dessert has a spicy undertone to it. In the end she threw her little spoon toward the ramekin where the Diablo was placed, making a sudden soft metallic clang when it hit the ramekin. Utter disgust was on her face and she muttered an expletive phrase about the dessert while she eyed it reproachfully. I just had to laugh at my friend's reaction towards Diablo since I more or less expected for that to happen. As for me, I'm loving each and every spoonful of this chili infused dessert.


Karen Anne


chubby cheeky me


Thanks again, Karen Anne for sharing this wonderful yet "subersive Filipino cuisine" with me.




I super enjoyed the dishes I tried here that a return visit would be imminent in the near future. That's for sure!




2/F Greenbelt 5
Legaspi St., Legaspi Village
Makati City


729-5511

No comments:

Post a Comment