Saturday, September 13, 2014

Two Popular Affordable Eats In Eastwood

deep fried bacon wrapped burger

There's two food joints in Eastwood City that are constantly being frequented by people working in the area, mostly by call center agents like me. And the food joints that I'm referring to are Zark's Burgers and Kanto Freestyle Breakfast. The popularity of the two are based on affordability while also taking into consideration the amount of food offered. Making sure that you're really getting what you paid for. 

Elegant Plating For A Carinderia Priced Food

Kanto Freestyle Breakfast in Eastwood

I first learned about Kanto Freestyle Breakfast from a social media post by a friend. My eyes almost popped out from its sockets staring at how skillfully plated the pancakes she ordered. I immediately inquired about this carinderia's whereabouts. I was given a detailed direction on how to go to Kanto Freestyle in San Joaquin, Mandaluyong. But being directionally challenged that I am, I still don't feel confident enough that I could go there by myself. So I accosted my niece along with her then boyfriend who happens to know how to get there.

It was quite an adventure going to Kanto Freestyle first branch in Mandaluyong. Our taxi driver had to maneuver on back alleys and deep recesses of Mandaluyong to get to this slowly becoming popular carinderia. We even had to contend with stray dogs that literally littered the street going to Kanto (I have this kinda irrational fear with dogs, you know?). Once at Kanto, we haven't fully settled yet when a street vagrant decided to make a scene. At one point, one of the persons from Kanto engaged herself in a shouting exchange with the vagabond to shoo him away. It's scary, but that's also part of the fun. However, I really doubted if I'll ever be back here by myself. Good thing, Kanto decided to branch out. In Eastwood, in fact which is just walking distance from my place of work.


ham and cheese omelette


fluffly pancake w/ chocnut and goya ganache

I could have included on this post the pictures that I took when I first visited Kanto on their San Joaquin branch however I've lost the phone that I've used where all those pictures were stored. And I wasn't able to make a back up copy [insert sad face here]. The Eastwood branch is no doubt more cleaner, no need to worry about dusts landing on your food the moment a tricycle passes by. No flies circling around your eggs benedict, hoping to get a share from your breakfast. Their branch in Eastwood is even well ventilated. But I kinda miss the carinderia feel of their San Joaquin branch. That's part of the lure of Kanto and why it became popular as it is now. One could never expect a restaurant-like presentation of a meal from a roadside eatery. 

Nevertheless, I truly enjoyed my order of Ham & Cheese Omelette. Quite fluffy with pesto sauce drizzled all over it. I'm quite happy with this one. The Fluffy Pancake w/ ChocNut & Goya Ganache is another matter. Though gloriously plated, I should say, the pancake itself was somewhat dry. 


honey garlic chicken


eggs benedict

More than the pancakes, it's really the Honey Garlic Chicken that caught my attention. Crispy skin coated with the honey dressing with a hint of garlic flavor which reminds me of Manang's Chicken but better. The Kanto Eggs Benedict was fairly decent, too. So, whenever I have this craving for some good breakfast without burrowing deep holes in my wallet, all I need to do is to hop my way to Kanto Freestyle.





















Intrepid Plaza
E. Rodriguez Jr., Ave
Eastwood, Quezon City

*****************************
Man Up With Your Burgers


stone cold stunner

Burgers are a big deal with me. It's always the first thing that I check when perusing a restaurant's menu. With the growing popularity of Zark's Burgers, naturally my expectations were high. The heftiness of the burgers are the main draw of Zark's. One look at one of the orders being served to a nearby customer is already enough to send shivers down my spine. Do I really have the guts to finish a burger with that size without gagging or throwing up afterwards? I mentally inquired myself as I dubiously scan the menu. Sorry for being too graphic.


an array of burgers, fish 'n chips and nachos

Anyway, I was not really that impressed with the burger that I ordered on my first visit to Zark's. I forgot which burger it was that I've ordered. It might have been the Stone Cold Stunner. As I've mentioned, the burger hefty size is really impressive. But after that, you're left with that cloying, I'm-already-fed-up feeling that you don't want to finish your burger anymore. And the processed cheese sauce doesn't help either. That's why I make it a point to order something different whenever my friends haul my ass over here.


deep fried bacon wrapped


sliced to see innards


chix ;n chips


nachos

Feeling a little playful, I ordered the Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Burger. It's a stunning burger and my friends covetously eyed over it when this burger was placed before me. I was quite happy with it. I pierced a portion of it then proceed to dip it on the provided BBQ sauce before my mouth took over. We also ordered some non burger food to serve as "supporting roles" to the burgers. The Chix 'N Chips was draped on a very spicy buffalo wing dressing. Though I'm no beer drinker, I imagine this would work well with an iced cold bottle of cerveza. The Cheese Nachos is as plain as you could get. Nothing fancy.


Luther burger

Another time, the Luther Burger caught my attention. Double cheeseburger sandwiched between Krispy Kreme's original glazed doughnuts. I've read a burger of this kind being served on night food market before so I know this really isn't an original concept of Zark's but still that didn't stop me from diving for it.

And surprise, surprise. This turned to be my favorite among the burgers I've tried thus far at Zark's. The sweetness of the glazed doughnuts compliments with the savoriness of the beef and the saltiness from the strip of cheese. Zark's may not be on my top list that could fully satisfy my cravings for a good burger but it's still an option if you're after for big serving at a reasonable price.



















www.zarksburgers.com



No comments:

Post a Comment