Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Gem Of An Italian Resto At The Expo

2013-06-22-4585
food at Bellini's

I almost skipped this place when I past by Cubao Expo one Saturday. I find the facade brooding and elicit a snobbish air for some reason. I could have gone instead to this diner just a stone throw away but found to my dismay that they're still not open. So I did a little 'moonwalk' a la Michael Jackson and strut my ass back to Bellini's.


2013-06-22-4590
wall painting

2013-06-22-4578
alcoves of wines

2013-06-22-4577
table setting

I'm glad that I did a back turn. This turned out to be one of the most memorable meals that I had in a long while. For one, I like the Old World inspiration of the interiors. The mural painting in one of the "inner sanctum" looked like it had been ripped from a scene of The Lord Of The Rings with a nymph prancing in front of a waterfall. Pardon me for the comparison. Blame it on the J.R.R. Tolkien's epic trilogy that I'm currently deep into reading. 

Alcoves on the wall were lined with no doubt expensive wine bottles with names such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Pinot Noir. Names that were difficult to pronounce as they were to write. I also fancy the handbell placed on the table. It reminded me so much of a scene from an old Tagalog movie wherein an aguela would ring this bell to call the attention of a helper. I almost got tempted to use it but back out at the last minute. The couple on a booth a table away from me might think that I'm weird. Or it might annoy the staff. I bet the bell was only placed there for aesthetic purposes and not to actually use it.

2013-06-22-4579
strawberry shake

2013-06-22-4580
gnocchi

I started off with the Gnocchi Speck Arugula. Also called Italian dumplings, the gnocchi has that bitey characteristic similar to pasta but this one has a more sturdier texture. The gnocchi were veiled with an equally white creamy sauce, interrupted with stark red color from prosciuttos cooked till crisp. Then a startling contrast of green from the arugulas. Such a divine appetizer this one I almost wiped my plate clean.

I was equally captivated with the Strawberry Shake with it's soft pink color accentuated with a single strawberry sliced the way to resemble a flower in bloom.

2013-06-22-4583
Osso Bucco alla Fiorentina


2013-06-22-4584
Napoletana pizza

2013-06-22-4586
chili oil for some fiery heat

I also adore their pizza. The Napoletana has only a few ingredients, simple yet very rustic looking. Even I, a lover of thick crust pizzas, dug this thin crust pizza very much. It's the chewy variety not the tough, cracker type ones that I dislike. I liberally poured over the surface of each pizza slice I took with the provided chili oil. I relish each bite and savor the nice heat from the chili oil. Nonchalant if some of the oil stained my lips and cheek; or some of it dribbled off my hands.

I admit I was disappointed with the Osso Bucco all Fiorentina. I was expecting a grand plating with either a risotto side or a potato gratin, perhaps. It came to the table looking like a simple lamb caldereta with a single marrow in the middle. The dish also has more gelatin than meat. Maybe I just expected way too much. The sauce of the osso bucco was great, though.

2013-06-22-4589
sweet wine and panna cotta

For a sweet ending I had the Panna Cotta, silky-smooth and creamy with that strawberry flower accent on top. What a beauty! A complimentary sweet wine was given to me to go with the dessert. What a gracious staff! I was treated very well, to say the least.

Wouldn't mind going back soon and again have a piece of Italy at the heart of Cubao.

1

Marikina Shoe Expo (Cubao Expo)
Romulo Avenue
Cubao, Quezon City

913-2550

No comments:

Post a Comment