Sunday, July 14, 2013

Celebrating My Birthday Week As I Turn 34 (Last Part)

2013-06-16-4556
cake, ice cream & spaghetti
This would be the last part of a series of posts. If you wanted to check out the first two, you could click to those links through here and here.

I haven't been to Katipunan (Blue Ridge area) for quite sometime now. So I was quite ecstatic when I set foot there again after being sent home from work early. 

2013-06-14-4538
pies and desserts at Manila Bake

What easily caught my eye was this charmingly and upscale looking bakery shop/cafe right next to McDonalds and Banapple Two. The name of the bakery cafe is Manila Bake. The enticing name of it was what lured me to march my feet right in.

2013-06-14-4530
desserts on display

2013-06-14-4531
breads, jams, baked goods and bottled goodies

Delicious desserts and other edible treats graced my eyes upon entry. I naturally hover over the cakes and pies, already flitting with the idea on how many among these goodies I could consume. I was given a laminated menu to help me decide if I would like to have some savory dishes like pasta but I'm more attuned in having the baked goods.

2013-06-14-4533
pineapple pie

2013-06-14-4535
banana cream pie

2013-06-14-4534
apple pie

2013-06-14-4536
siphon coffee

I decided to have a trio of pies, a cupcake and a coffee. Both the Pineapple Pie and the Apple Pie were wonderful flaky and buttery. I especially admire the very rustic-looking lattice top crust on the pineapple pie. The apple pie has that familiar yet intoxicating (but in a good way) cinnamon-y smell once you pierce right through it. The Banana Cream Pie has a tight tart crust loaded with slices of banana covered under tufts of cream then top with slivers of chocolate that lingers in the tongue.

I also like the Siphon Brewed Coffee. I would have love to take a picture of the siphon contraption as it extracts the coffee into my welcoming cup. But it was deftly and swiftly done by the server and she's already scurrying away even before I pose my camera phone to snap a shot. Midnight black in color. I smell, sip and relish the earthiness of it's flavor. I then dribbled the contents of the provided milk into the coffee and also emptied the sachet of the Coco Natura coco sugar to it. Having it's milky finish it became smooth and creamy. I loved this coffee to bits!

2013-06-14-4537
chocolate cupcake

2013-06-14-4539
getting all mess up with pies

Nowadays, chocolate cake has become so norm for me that I'm not anymore excited when I see one on a dessert shop's display case. And most of the ones I encountered lately has that one track/one dimensional flavor of chocolate that just bored me to death. But here in Manila Bake, the chocolate dessert cakes they have here elicit intrigue largely to blame of it's rather whimsical look and inherent prettiness. I so adore the look of the Mocha Manila that I promised myself to be back here one of these days to go grab myself a whole cake of it.

For now, I settled for the Chocolate Cupcake. It has the most prettiest chocolate frosting ever with silver dragees adorning it's top. The chocolate frosting has it's nuances of creamy and doesn't cloy at all. The cake itself is painfully soft and moist. No doubt, this is my favorite cupcake of 'em all.

7

206-A Katipunan Avenue
Brgy. Blue Ridge A, Quezon City

509-1973
Facebook Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2013-06-15-4543
at Alexa's Deli

On the eve of my birthday, I found myself leisurely walking around Makati. I wanted to be in solitude and to do a bit of a reality check. I'm also looking for a nice, cozy and a not-so-hectic place like a cafe to do my self-absorb thinking. I found one, along Horacio V. dela Costa street but I was turned away by a stuck swing door which seemed to me it doesn't want to let me in. So I moved on and my feet led me to yet another quaint, yet hidden cafe situated on the same street, just further off.


2013-06-15-4542
a display of assorted cheese, desserts, salads and more


2013-06-15-4546
cold turkey sandwich


2013-06-15-4545
lemon torte

I entered Alexa's Deli and sauntered to the counter to look at the menu plastered right above it. The lettering were quite small for me so I had to squint my eyes a little to get a better look. Maybe I should replace my glasses real soon. Although the menu were quite compact, I'm hard pressed on which one to order. Will I have some pasta? A vegetarian sandwich? Or how about a deli breakfast? I settled for a Cold Turkey Sandwich with dill as dressing. A sufficiently hefty sandwich with the dill dressing making each bite of this sandwich just eye-rolling good.

The Lemon Torte looked very divine and pristine with an all white frosted whipped cream covering the cake interrupted by small shards of lemon zests on top. Once you sliced it through with a fork, you'll be greeted with layers of cashew nut meringue and lemon curd. Sweet with a nice mild sour kick. Just my kind of dessert.


2013-06-15-4547

2013-06-15-4544

I took a bite of the last of my sandwich and nibbled the crumbs of whatever was left of the cake on my plate, I then looked out and was not surprised that twilight has come. But the day is far from over for me yet. I drank straight the contents of my double Cafe Latte, dusted the crumbs off my shirt and prepared to leave. I wanted to go elsewhere. I wanted to have inject my body with some alcohol.


8
G/F Classica 1 Condominium
112 H. V. dela Costa
Salcedo Village
Makati City

813-7097
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2013-06-15-4548


2013-06-15-4552

My purpose was to go to this cafe in Greenbelt that turns into a bar at night. When I get there though, the place was packed by crew with film cameras rolling and heavy duty cords snaking every which way on the floor. I didn't linger anymore and decided to find another place to get myself induce with liquor. Then I remembered that Draft Gastropub just opened their new branch here in Greenbelt. Without missing a beat, I walked my way through the hurly burly of yuppies and the so-called bourgeois crowd till I finally found the bar that I sought for.

Evidently, this gastropub has quite a cult following based on the never ending influx of people during my stay here. While smugly sitting on a high rise chair at the bar area I was asked by one of the barista if I would want something to nibble with to go along with the drinks I've already ordered. I politely declined. What I just want at that very moment was the liquid warmth of booze that might sear my throat.

Being a non-drinker, it surprised even me when I asked for two cocktail drinks to be prepared for me. Curious by the books I've read and the movies I've seen wherein this drink is always mentioned, I give the Bloody Mary a try. And true to it's name, this drink was as bloody as hell. It's like drinking a spicy tomato juice. Not a fan of this drink at all.


What I liked more was the other cocktail drink that I ordered, the drink with a vulgar name aptly called Adios Motherfucker. It has a motley crew of alcohol added in like tequila, vodka, rum and gin but taste oh-so-sweet that you were caught unaware of it's sudden horsepower kick. Needless to say, my feet were wobbly as I head to the door. Thankful that I didn't toppled over when I left the high chair. The night was still young but that's okay. I already got the reprieve that I want. Beside, as singer Bryan Ferry was quoted as saying, 'Loneliness is a crowded room'.

9
G/F Unit GB2-06
Greenbelt
Ayala Center, Makati City
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2013-06-16-4554
McSpicy meal

On the day of my birthday, it's a little less fanfare. Right after attending a worship service, I head on to McDonald's near my office to try out the newest McSpicy Chicken Burger. A quick check on the web and you'll see that this chicken burger is currently creating quite a ripple. And inevitably was inadvertently placed on a head on collision fight with the KFC's Zinger. Personally, the two chicken burgers has their own distinct personality. I appreciate that the McSpicy has a large chicken patty and the meat is juicy all the way through. The spiciness is just right and not overpowering.

Enrapted with the burger I took a big bite, followed by nibbles of McDonald's signature fries then chased it down with a large Coke, I started reading a few paragraphs of Seth Graham Greene's book about his own version of the Three Wise Men and their encounter with baby Jesus in Jerusalem. And then, on my peripheral vision I saw an image of a stranger but not so much of a stranger to me. I feigned to continue reading but when he's already at the pedestrian walkway at my side, I gazed naturally towards his direction as if a magnet peeled my eyes from the book I was reading. And there he was, striding passed me. His boyish charm coupled with his scruffy look that fits him well. Dark sunglasses partly hid his eyes. I don't know if he'd seen me. If he'd seen me, hope he didn't think that I'm this crazy lunatic who stalks him. It was just a simple wish to see your crush on your birthday. I let out a sigh after he'd past by. I lingered a little longer then I head to SM Megamall to buy some pasalubong for home.


2013-06-16-4555
a simple birthday dinner


2013-06-16-4557
slicing out the cake

In my family, we're not big we in comes to celebrating birthdays. As long as there's a simple cake, a tub of ice cream and a pasta dish especially cooked by my Tita Ling, we're already good with it. Bread Talk has always been my go to place whenever I'd want to buy cakes for the family without the exorbitant price tags. My birthdays coincided with the celebration of Father's Day. Naturally, the display case of most bakeshops and dessert shops were denuded. Barren. I almost wanted to cry. I spied this cake at Bread Talk called Love Mom (?!), obviously a cake specifically crafted from the past Mother's Day season. I cringed at the thought. But a cake is still a cake, irregardless of the season. It's a light vanilla chiffon layered with yogurt cereal for that slight tang. Partnered with a tub of Nestle Rocky Road Ice Cream and my Tita's signature hotdog spaghetti which is partly sweet and partly spicy, we've all enjoyed our simple repast together. And if you we're asking, no. The cake isn't spoiled yet. *wink*!

10

www.mcdonalds.com.ph

11

www.breadtalk.com.ph
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


2013-06-17-4560
longganisa barkada platter
My birthday wouldn't be complete without seeing one of my closest friend, Gael. I also planned to invite another male friend on this get-together. But when I texted him, I never got any reply. We did have Gael's hubby, Jaydee, to fill in the slot. This happened on a Monday since Gael only have one weekday off. We all met up in Robinsons Galleria to try out the newest branch of Zoricho, taking up the place where Piadina used to be. 


2013-06-17-4573
inside Zoricho

2013-06-17-4570
cartoon sketch of sausages of the world


2013-06-17-4565
dipping sauces

When Gael and I were still working in Silver City, we never paid Zoricho that much attention. Since we're going to work everyday (or every night, for that matter) with Zoricho in the vicinity, this restaurant will never go away. Although I've thought about of dining there sometime. During the course of our short stay in Silver City, we've dined at Domino's Pizza, at McDonald's, at Ma Chicken Mami House and chilled at Starbucks Coffee but never did we set foot at Zoricho. Then our company transferred our operations elsewhere and then I switched company until the probability of dining at Zoricho proved nill.

When I learned that Zoricho has finally opened in Galleria, I found my upcoming birthday and get-together with Gael would be the most opportune time to visit the place and try out the food.

I like the cheery ambiance of the Galleria branch. I especially liked the mini balled chandeliers and the cartoonish sketch of the Sausages Of The World propped on one wall. Our drinking glasses were placed on top of mini tatami coasters and we were given options of dipping sauces of Sinamak, Iloko and Pinakurat for the sausages we ordered.


2013-06-17-4562
longganisa platter & garlic rice


2013-06-17-4567
lasagna

I wanted something festive so I asked for the Longganisa Barkada Plate that showcased the longganisa of different regions in the Philippines. Frankly, I was too pumped up with the presentation and all that I forgot how different the longganisa from one over the other. But the resounding conclusion among us three that all longganisa were delicious, each having their own nuances of saltiness and flavors amplified even more when dipped on our sauces of choice.

It goes well with the Garlic Rice w/ Fried Egg, although both Gael and I both agreed that it's very similar to a Chinese yang chow fried rice. We all chased down our grubs with a carafe of Iced Tea (not pictured).

I'm not really a pancit person unless it's pancit palabok so for the birthday noodle part, the Zoricho Lasagna played the part. I wasn't expecting too much from it and it proved to be that this lasagna is just the normal fare that you could also get elsewhere.


2013-06-17-4569
cake slices: turtle pie, brazo de mercedes and ube cake
2013-06-17-4571
chubby me, Gael and Jaydee

Ah, dessert! I just couldn't live without it. My easiest favorite among the three was the Brazo de Mercedes since I really like custardy cake. I just wish the slice accorded to us were bigger he-he! The Ube Cake was very light and fluffy while the Turtle Pie has that tight cookie crumb that falls apart once inside the mouth. Jaydee is still sheepishly shy when I am around and Gael still needs to prod him to eat a portion of this cake or to get more rice. I just had to smile. The affection between the two is very palpable, a proven symptom of 'the newlywed syndrome'. Now it's time to say our farewell but ,alas! A gale type storm (no pun intended) appeared out of nowhere, drenching everyone and everything in it's wake. Pools and puddles quickly formed on thoroughfares. 

Gael and Jaydee still need to do some errands while I had to go home early since I still have an early morning shift tomorrow. After bidding them goodbye, I inhaled deeply, clutched my worn out umbrella and raced to the bus stop. And let myself vulnerable in the eye of the storm.

The End

12

No comments:

Post a Comment