Monday, October 14, 2013

A Day Of Relieving Stress w/ Friends

2013-09-05-4896
rice meals at Cookbook Kitchen

Working in a BPO industry can bring a lot of stress. And harboring too much stress can bring danger to one's health. So for people who still think that working in this kind of industry is just a piece of cake, might be they know little of how the system works in a BPO or they're totally ignoramus about it. 

After one "hellish" work week for all of us, I invited my friends and colleagues if they're inclined to try out some gelato as a way to de-stress. I've read that week on Bono Artisanal Gelato's official Facebook page that they've recently opened a branch at The Podium and I've been itching to try their gelato flavors for quite sometime now. They've readily agreed to my invitation since all of us need a little bit of sweet to rub the toxicity brought about by work off of our skins. 

The Creaminess Of The Lori Sundae

2013-09-05-4885
various gelatos

One of the reasons I was enthusiastic for us to drop by at Bono is the release of their newest flavor, The Lori Sundae, named after food blogger Lori Baltazar. The introduction of this new flavor coincided with the release of her book, Dessert Comes First which was named after her esteemed website. When I told my friends that this would be my first choice to order, most of them followed suit. And we're glad we did tried The Lori since we've all enjoyed this gelato flavor immensely.

2013-09-05-4880
Lori sundae

2013-09-05-4883
almond caramel

2013-09-05-4882
taho

Who could just resist the pull of this dulce de leche gelato with caramel and flambeed bananas? Star looked up to me goggled eyed as she pointed out while spooning her gelato that the banana's flavor is very much there though not exceedingly prominent. And the addition of peanut brittle and swirls of chocolate syrup made it even more interesting. Definitely, it's my hands down favorite.

I also tried another revolutionary flavor, the Taho Gelato.  Now, do you know any other gelateria that offers this very Pinoy flavor? And yes, this gelato incorporated soy milk, coco sugar syrup and tapioca pearls just like the real taho. Ingenious! Jem, on the other hand, decided to play safe with the flavor she chose and opted for the Almond Caramel Gelato. She liked this one so much that I think she'll be brave enough to try out bolder flavors the next time around.


2013-10-04-5113
rogue sundae

On another day, I've swung by here myself this time around to try out The Rogue Sundae. A buttery gelato topped with roasted pecans and toffee drizzled with a butterscotch sauce spiked with Elijah Craig bourbon. And it's affirmative, this vixen of a frozen dessert is so good it's intoxicating.

1
2/F The Podium
18 ADB Avenue
Wack Wack, Mandaluyong

*******************
The Roast Pork We All Want To Get Our Hands On


2013-09-05-4896
pork steak w/ honey mustard sauce and parmesan crusted white fish

It's getting late and Jamie is getting hungry and hankering for some "real food" to eat. Initially we all agreed to just grab some burger meals at Burger King, but Star wanted to try something different and suggested we transfer to Eastwood instead. Jamie surmised that this is Star's stealthy way for her to get an easier access to retreat to her dorm and she wouldn't budge. But Star, myself and even Jamie's beau Victor vetoed for us to have dinner instead at Cookbook Kitchen located at the 1880 Building in Eastwood. Reluctantly, Jamie gave in.

2013-09-05-4886
table setting

2013-09-05-4888
inside Cookbook Kitchen, Eastwood

It's been ages since I've last been to Cookbook Kitchen and this return visit excites me to no end. The goodness of the Parmesan Crusted White Fish still lingers to my mind and can't wait dig in to other succulent dishes on their menu. 

2013-09-05-4890
CBK Sunrise Fusion

2013-09-05-4892
chicken pizzalola

2013-09-05-4893
parmesan crusted white fish

2013-09-05-4895
pork steak w/ honey mustard sauce

I normally don't order rice when I'm out and about eating but since all of my friends yearned to eat something heavy and rice meals is their order of choice, I inevitably did the same. Jamie picked the Chicken Pizzalola. Enchanted by the name, we half-expected the dish to be presented like a pizza or a semblance of it. When the dish arrived, the chicken was covered all over with it's chunky tomato sauce that the chicken meat was almost hidden from view. I'm not really into lean parts, especially with chicken so I find this dish just alright. I liked the tanginess of the sauce though and thought that this sauce would also go well with pasta.

Star asked me on what she should order. I then volunteered the Parmesan Crusted White Fish as default. I'm glad she (and everyone else on our table) liked the dish. And I'm also happy to report that it's still that same velvety soft fish with the most rich, decadent parmesan crusted cover that could still turn anyone's knees into jelly.

As for myself, I initially wanted to have the Lamb Shoulder Steak w/ Fennel Oregano Sauce just to be quickly told that it's not available tonight. Ouch! That hurts! The waitstaff swiftly rebutted with the Pork Steak w/ Honey Mustard Sauce which also has the 'Chef's Favorite' note appended on it. The waitstaff also intimated that it's one of their bestselling dish and that I would end up liking it, too. I flipped close the menu and handed it to her with a remark: "Okay, I'll take your word for it." And it happened just as the waitstaff had predicted. I did ended up liking this pork dish, although the meat wasn't as malleable as I would like it to be I still adored the dish mainly because of generous amount of honey mustard dressing lathered over the meat. The CBK Sunrise Fusion offered a surfeit of fruity flavors yet very refreshing.


2013-09-05-4898
holiday pork roast

But what we all ended up liking the most was not our own respective orders but Victor's. The simply named Holiday Roast Pork was one phenomenal dish. The meat yields by the slightest prod of the tongue, coupled with the most exquisite sauce. Though I still adore the crusted white fish, this roast pork dish replaces the former as my top favorite here. Note to self: Come by here and order this dish all to myself.


IMG_20130905_203441
chubby me, Victor, Jamie and Star (photo courtesy of Star)

2
chubby me, Jem and Star (photo courtesy of Jem)

I do enjoy eating in solitary but I also experience a different level of enjoyment sharing meals with friends and colleagues. And I'm sure this wouldn't be the last. Thanks again Jem, Star, Victor and Jamie. De-stressing and food tripping has never been this fun.

3

1880-A Building
Eastwood City
E. Rodriguez Jr Ave.
Quezon City

709-3593
cookbookkitchen.com.ph

No comments:

Post a Comment