Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Gobbledygook's Corner Turns 2

2013-08-31-4867
tea time at TWG

Wouldn't you know? How time flies. I never thought it would last me this long maintaining this online diary of mine. Though there are certain days when I feel I need to pick up steam and I just feel too lazy to sit down and write, a week wouldn't pass by without me spinning something to post on this site. And with that one post at a time attitude, lo and behold, Gobbledygook's Corner is now two years old. 

I wouldn't give you the whole thingamajig on how I've maintained my blog for two years and what keeps me going. Frankly, I think it would just bore you. Plus, it's just a matter of me sitting in front of my HP mini and typing the words away. Nothing special. What I would relate to you though were the two establishments that made a fine imprint on me as a customer and would want to embrace in that moment again and again and again, if I can. =)

A Fine Tea Experience

2013-08-31-4859
table setting

I adore coffee shops more than anything else. The aroma of coffee wafting through can arouse an intoxicating feeling. The prospect of sipping the most perfect cup of coffee is invigorating in itself, even with the proposition of tongue getting scalded is now entirely irrelevant. And nibbling an exquisite dessert to go along with your coffee could bring you to transcendental heights. But the same celestial experience could also be had at tea houses. Now, I'm not talking here about milk tea places but establishments that really serves tea. Hot, iced or the flavored variety. The only other time that I've been to a high end tea place was when I visited Da.u.de Tea Lounge in BGC.


2013-08-31-4860
counter

2013-08-31-4861
tea tower

2013-08-31-4858
fine china wares and silverwares

Not until I've tried TWG Tea Salon & Boutique. An implant from Singapore, this tea place spells all things fine and fancy. I admit, I was a little reluctant to step right in. It might prove to be too extravagant for me. But, hey! Indulging yourself a little has it's own rewards. And after five days of painstaking work of taking calls at the office, I deserve to treat myself with some luxury.


2013-08-31-4865
Jade of Africa tea

After letting myself whisked to an empty chair and then handed the menu, I was short of aghast on the tea selection listed. Stupefied that I was with page after page of tea choices, I gingerly asked for help. One of the waitstaff amiably assisted me on getting which tea leaves to choose. I asked for something not too strong. She highly recommend for someone starting to appreciate tea the Jade Of Africa. Indeed, this tea is very subtle yet with a very fruity note. Thanks to the fragrant essence of red berries and sunflower petals. Needless to say, I was enchanted with each sip of this most delicate tea brew.

2013-08-31-4868
normandy apple tart

2013-08-31-4870
scones and macarons

2013-08-31-4874
scones, maracons and canele

2013-08-31-4872
slice that tart! :)

Of course, man does not live by tea alone...or so I say. So I have accompaniments to go along with my tea. The Normandy Apple Tart is a round pastry with a bewitching concentric pattern. I almost mistook it as a large, round biscuit. Hidden beneath were chunks of stewed apples that gave this tart a nice texture. Served with a scoop of Singapore Breakfast Tea ice cream, drizzled with some caramel sauce and sprinkled with some chopped pistachios, it just transformed this humble pastry into a wholly divine one.

I was also provided with a two-tiered and a three tiered stands for the other pastries and spreads that I've ordered. The Canelé were bite-sized cakes with striated sides that kind of reminded me of a shape that one could create using a Jell-O mold. I also had some scones that I liberally smeared with some black tea infused jelly and some cream. The macarons were at par with the best that I'd had at other patisseries. Crisp exterior that gives in to a chewy middle, I adore both the Earl Grey Tea & Chocolate and the Bain de Rose macarons.

2013-08-31-4877
ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra

But the best part of all, all of us dining (and enjoying) with our sets of teas and nibblers that nightwere being serenaded by no less than the ABS-CBN Philharmonic Orchestra set up just right outside the confines of the TWG Salon, playing songs from various Disney films. It was indeed a blissful experience of tea and sounds.

1

Mid-level, 2/3 Shang-rila Plaza Mall
East Wing Expansion
Mandaluyong City

www.twgtea.com

*******************************

Cocktails And Conversations


2013-09-28-5088
caramelized toddy

I never thought that one day I would gravitate towards bars: Draft's Gastropub, El Chupacabra and Niner Ichi Nana were some that I've been to lately. I guess it's just a phase for one that has been deprived of the so-called "night life" during my tween days. A late bloomer though I am when it comes to nocturnal gigs and activities, it still didn't rob me the full satisfaction of enjoying a drink or two while listening to house music. 

2013-09-28-5085
menu

2013-09-28-5086
bar area

2013-09-28-5095
the bramble

I wasn't really expecting anything when I entered the heavy glass door of Niner Ichi Nana and ambled towards the bar. The most that I anticipated to happen was to consume at least one drink, listen to some music and walk right out after an hour or so. Never have I thought that I would so much enjoy my time in this bar while delicately sipping my ordered drinks. Yes, you read it right. I had two that night. Thanks to the very amiable bartenders who kept me company the entire time I was there. Even in the midst of fulfilling orders to other guests, they still managed to ask me how I was doing and threw in a joke or two that would sometime sent me laughing my head off. I would presumed they kept me on esteem regard because they find it unusual for a lonely soul to come there on a Saturday night while most (if not all) who visited NIner Ichi Nana that night either have their best pals with them or they came in as a group. But isn't it just normal for a single person to sit on a stool facing the bar, order some drinks and relish on melancholic reverie while a sad tune is playing? At least that's how it was depicted on soap operas and on sappy movies that I've seen countless times. Oh, well!

I was asked what I would like to have. I stared at the menu of their handcrafted cocktails, names of which I find bewitching but can't seem to decide which one to choose, so I asked, "Do you have cocktail drinks that are on the sweet side?" They easily recommended the Caramelized Toddy and the Bramble.

I liked both drinks. One has a milky, frothy consistency while the other has a fruity note to it. After I was done with my second drink, I felt a fizzy extravaganza buzzing over my head. Nevertheless, it was a good trip.

2013-10-12-5176
dusk melody

On another weekend, I went back to Niner Ichi Nana. And this time, they've added some new handcrafted cocktail drinks that I eagerly ordered for me to try. The Hanging Tree drink is a riveting to behold, too bad I wan't able to get a clear picture of it. Bar lights are not really conducive to good pictures, as far as my camera phone is concerned. It has a sliced mango placed on top of the drink with an alluring toothpick lanced right smack in the middle of the fruit acting like a skewer to scoop out the juicy, sweet meat of the mango. 

The Dusk Melody has an alluring deep green color with a sliced passion fruit resting on top. This drink has the least kick of all the cocktail drinks I've tried. But all is good.

I chanced upon that night Erwan Heussaff in action. You got to admire the guy's conviviality. His interaction with his guests were on the personal approach while preparing their drinks. In the midst of this "chaos", he even managed to drop by to where I'm seated on the left hand side of the bar while chatting with the bartenders to say "Hello!". Such admirable qualities. No wonder the bar is slowly gaining momentum. The place was almost full house when I left that night.

I also spied Jin Perez of Jin Loves To Eat that night who came in with her family and kin. I got so starstruck I called her when she went past near my position in the bar that might have startled her. Or maybe this brazenness and straightforward behavior could be blame on too much alcohol already circulating in my veins. I might limit myself to one drink per visit, then...NOT! =)

2

G/F, The Globe Tower
32nd St cor 7th Avenue
Bonifacio Global City
Taguig


No comments:

Post a Comment