Monday, October 7, 2013

I Could See Your Halo...Your Yellow Halo

2013-09-27-5065
a low fat meal at Yellow Halo

I wouldn't know the existence of Yellow Halo Guilt Free Kitchen if not for the Facebook post of my former colleague Ness on her recent dine here. If not for her, I'll be hard pressed before I learned about this very calorie conscious restaurant and that it's being is just right under my nose. Sometimes being nosy about someone's activities or social media posts (the food related ones, at least) has it's own quirks. 

2013-09-10-4938
counter area

2013-09-10-4939
dining area with natural lights streaming from the window


2013-09-10-4937
cool wall compartment for food and whatnots

Yellow Halo is situated at the 22nd floor of Strata 100 which literally means just a few walking steps from the building where I currently work. Sweet! One Friday, I coerced my colleague and friend Dang to join me in trying out this health-concentric eatery. I must say how the elevators function at this building confused us quite a bit but soon enough we got the hang of it. 

The predominant splash of yellow was what greeted us when we first entered Yellow Halo which didn't surprised me, for the obvious reason. But we kinda like the very clean and very cool canteen like ambiance of the eatery. On checking the menu, Dang noticed right away the corresponding calorie content for each order which I first mistook as the price of each item. This is helpful for those gym buffs who wanted to know the specific calorie equivalent of the food they're eating. But for us, the knowledge that what we're about to partake were healthy, nutritious (and hopefully tasty) food are good enough. 


2013-09-10-4945
apple wheatgrass and melon fruities

2013-09-10-4948
creamy dory w/ tausi

2013-09-10-4951
balsamic chicken

While waiting for our food, me and Dang started goofing around; we've hammed up before my camera phone and did some  "selfie" shots. But don't worry, I won't post it here. I don't want you to get umay (so used to) with our faces. But we settled once they started dispensing our orders.

Dang opted for the Cream Dory w/ Tausi (Black Beans) Rice Bowl. This particular dish is usually cooked at home by my Tita (auntie) but she usually use bangus (milkfish) or tilapia since she find cream dory too delicate to handle. But at Yellow Halo, the fish was fried so effortlessly and then lathered with the black beans sauce. Dang liked her creamy dory bowl very much.

I wanted to try something different so I ordered the Balsamic Chicken. The lean chicken was covered by the balsamic sauce and long strands of vermicelli noodles that I almost didn't see the meat underneath. But the tanginess of the worked perfectly well with the meat and kept it moist. As a rule, I'd stay away from lean white meat since I find it too parched dry but I would make an exception with this one.

Our drinks of the Melon Fruities and the Apple Wheatgrass Fruities were totally refreshing and revitalizing that made up our healthy meals here at Yellow Halo.

2013-09-27-5064
chalkboard menu

2013-09-27-5062
table setting

On another Friday after work, I dropped by here myself since I feel like eating something nutritious that day. A rare occurrence, I must tell you *wink*! 

2013-09-27-5063
another serving of the apple wheatgrass fruities

2013-09-27-5066
meatloaf w/ Spanish coleslaw

This time around I did try the Meatloaf w/ Spanish Coleslaw. It looked simple, rustic and yet packed with flavors. I liked the mild peppery spice of the meatloaf squirted so generously with ketchup on top. The side salad of shredded cabbage and julienned carrots more than make up my self-imposed allotment of veggie requirement for the day. And surprise, surprise. I never thought I would love brown rice this much. And yes, I had another helpful glass of the apple wheatgrass fruitties. Wow! I can't believe I get this much exhilaration on healthy food that I would normally pass up as boring and tasteless.

2013-09-10-4947
Dang and chubby me

Thanks again to Dang who agreed to join me on my first visit to Yellow Halo in spite of the fact that she has to travel all the way to Cavite right after. Hope I could bring more folks from the office to try out Yellow Halo. Fast food is great. I, for one, love 'em. But trying out nutritious food that doesn't taste healthy at all (you know, those pallid, flavorless, uninspiring lot we normally associate with healthy meals) can be so much more rewarding.

1


22nd Flr. Strata 100
Ortigas Center
Pasig City

212-1212
yellowhaloguiltfreekitchen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment