Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Date With Nanay On Her Birthday

Image
cupcakes and eclairs at Shine

My Nanay is not as adventurous to food and eating as I am. Whenever we're out and about, she would often ask me to take her to a fast food chain and she would be more than happy twirling her plastic fork on a spaghetti with lots of hotdogs and cheese or to munch on a crispy fried chicken dipped in gravy. She would already consider it high end eating if I take her to a Pizza Hut restaurant. Oftentimes I broach to her the idea of trying out a different restaurant but she always views it with abject horror. It's like pulling her out of her comfort zone. You could just imagine my surprise (and uncontrolled glee) when she agrees that I take her to Shine Bakery & Cafe on her birthday.

Image
inside Shine

Image
very kid-friendly ambiance

Image
counter and blackboard menu

The restaurant itself is a charm on its own even if it's located inside the mall. The dining area reminded me of a classroom for grade school. Just look at those wooden tables and chairs in powder blue color. I'm quite sure this place would be a hit to my nieces and nephews just by looking at the kid-friendly aesthetics around the restaurant. I was even half expecting as my Nanay and I settled to our chairs that each of us will be given a children's activity book to work on while we wait for our orders. He-he!

Image
tomato soup

Image
bacon cheeseburger

Image
smoked salmon alfredo

My Nanay is not really that big with starters. She even refused to dip her spoon on this very hearty Tomato Soup that I ordered. She can't wait for her burger to arrive and I find her a little listless while she gingerly sip her soda through the straw. I longed to order something different from the menu. The Foie Gras Salpicao and the Fig & Pistachio Salad easily caught my attention but I don't want to overwhelm my Nanay. It's her big day and her preference is my priority. So,  I ordered something "safe" for her which was the Bacon Cheeseburger. High quality angus beef burger smothered in Mornay sauce, crunchy bacon, slivers of pickles and a side of potato chips that are so addicting. I'm happy to see the look of satisfaction on my Nanay's face as she pierce through her burger with her knife and fork in between bites of the chips dipped on the provided bourbon aioli sauce.

I also much enjoyed my pasta order of Smoked Salmon Alfredo. Creamy parmesan sauce coated each strands of fettucine evenly with chunks of salmon tumbled about, the arugula greens anointed with some balsamic dressing to get some healthy stuff going amidst those sinfully creamy sauce. Nanay also liked the pasta dish as well but after a few forkful she went back to finally polish off her burger and chips.

Image
brioche bread pudding

Image
choco fudge cupcake

Image
cafe latte

Image
other cupcakes we bought came on this Gourmandise Patisserie bag (yup, the now defunct patisserie and Shine has the same owner, Chef Sunshine Pengson)

I always get giddy when it's time for desserts. And the Brioche Bread Pudding is worth the wait. The maple bacon syrup was what made this sweet beauty really irresistible which made the bread super moist. Slap it with some vanilla ice cream and then include a slice of the caramelized banana and my knees quickly slackened in seconds. The cool, creamy ice cream colliding with the warm bread and equally warm syrup just captured my heart effortlessly that I wouldn't notice even if my crush walks right in front of me at that very moment. Yes, it's that good. I looked at my Nanay and she's gave me that goofy grin. A sure sign that she's equally enamored with this dessert as well. I'm definitely going back for this.

I'm not much into chocolate cake these days, much more with a chocolate cupcake. But my Nanay is, thus the Choco Fudge Cupcake graced our table. This chocolate specimen of a cupcake is sufficiently moist. My Nanay was so taken with this cupcake that she ordered two more: The Chocolate Obsession and the Kahlua. I favor more the Chocolate Obsession over the choco fudge cupcake. It starkly darker than the other chocolate cupcake and a stronger chocolate flavor, too. A few more of these and I might rekindle my fondness to chocolate cakes.

Image
hot drinks at Paul

Image
my Nanay and chubby me

After that quite satisfying lunch, I walk her around the mall (It's my Nanay's first time in SM Aura). We also watched a mini concert being held at the first floor of the mall but I suddenly felt a chill and plead to my Nanay if we could drink something hot before we head for home.

Nanay initially wanted for us to scurry to Starbucks Coffee but the one in SM Aura branch was way too cramped. I broached her get our hot drinks fix at Paul Boulangerie Cafe instead. Nanay got the Cappuccino Parfume Raspberry, a drink that is heavy on the cream. Almost like a hot dessert drink since my Nanay already felt so full after she finished her cup. I immensely enjoyed my hot chocolate called the Chocolat Viennois. Silky smooth hot chocolate drink made even more velvety as the hot chocolate collides with the cream.

Hands down, this has been one of the most enjoyable meals I had with no less than my Nanay sharing the most delicious food with me on her special day.

Image

3/F SM Aura Premier
Bonifacio Global City
Taguig

553-6566


No comments:

Post a Comment