Saturday, January 4, 2014

An Affordable Meat Lovers' Haven

Image
porterhouse at Beeffalo

A pop-up message on FB chat from my friend Louie Lyn asking me if I ever heard of Beeffalo, a steak and rib house in Marikina. I've never heard of Beeffalo but the mere mention that they offer steaks and ribs and it's situated in Marikina, a treasure trove of a place for some of the best eating places one could find in the metro were already enough to get my attention. We immediately set out a plan on how to meet. Dubious I am of how I read Google Maps when I tried to search for Beeffalo's location, I inquired via their Facebook page on how to get there. I was just so happy when the page's moderator promptly replied to my inquiry, giving specific landmarks for us not to get lost.



Image
caramel frappe at McCafe

Louie Lyn and I decided to meet up at the McDonald's branch in Marcos Highway. The day was preternaturally hot for a December weekend that I was forced to buy a Caramel Frappe from McCafe. This soothingly cool and creamy beverage act as a salve to the chaffiness that I've felt. Just in time that I'm finishing the last of my frappe when I saw Louie Lyn approaching, holding up a large umbrella to protect herself from the merciless rays of the sun. We exchanged greetings and told her how fresh she looks with her pristine looking powder blue colored blouse, then off we went to the tricycle terminal just right beside the fast food chain structure that will lead us to the reason of this meet-up: To get in touch with our carnivore side. He-he!

Image
inside Beeffalo


With a quick research on the World Wide Web, I've learned that Beeffalo is a reincarnation of sorts of the now defunct Hotrocks in Club 650 in Libis, Quezon City. I passed by Hotrocks a couple of times and had this conception that it's a watering hole serving the usual bar chow. Never have I thought they also offered steaks. I like the new place of Hotrocks (or I should say Beeffalo). It has a very relaxing Western like setting, with an expansive al fresco/garden area where one could ogle at the steak while it's being cooked on the griller. There were only a few people dining when we arrived here (including a couple who can't seem to get enough of each other. They're too saccharinely sweet to stare at), but I was told that the place is usually a full house at dinner time.

Image
cream of corn

Image
fruitti de mare

Image
an aglio olio side pasta

Before the main attractions of our meal was served, which were the meats, the first to arrive were our side orders: Louie Lyn had the Cream Of Corn Soup, a hearty soup that readies the palate for a fully loaded meal. She also asked for the Frutti de Mare. This one was alright. But this pasta dish was quickly overshadowed when our steaks finally graced our table. I also ordered some side pasta only seasoned with some olive oil and herbs (aglio olio). The simplicity of this dish goes well with the full force flavors of our steaks.

Image
beef medallion

Image
porterhouse


Image
ribs (love the side of fries)

When our steak orders arrive, a momentary hush fell upon us. We gazed upon these edible beauties, plated simply with just mashed potatoes and a side of veggies but how rustic they appeared to be. Louie Lyn had the Beef Medallion. Though I'm no beef connoisseur, this one has a leaner meat than the Porterhouse steak that I ordered. It's customary for the server to ask what level of "doneness" the diner prefers their steaks to be cooked. I've always been a "medium-well" type of meat eater, but I might consider lowering the notch of cooking to medium. Don't get me wrong, the meat were flavorful even without the aid of the provided sauce. I just yearned for a more softer meat, the type of which that it slices through without protest. But if you're asking, yes I did enjoyed this hunk of a meat tremendously. 

As if the amount of steaks that we're imbibing weren't enough, another plate of Baby Back Ribs landed on our table. The ribs were painfully soft, braised on the same barbecue sauce which a small receptacle was placed beside the meat. The smoky sweet flavor of it was the big come on. However, this meat would be more alluring if there's a little bit more of spicy kick on the sauce.

Image
desserts

Image
chubby me and Louie Lyn

After the glory of meat eating, time to quell the cravings for something sweet. Louie Lyn decided to have the Jars Of Monkey, a deconstructed banana split of some sort with slices of bananas tiptoeing on three scoops of ice creams: the customary flavors of strawberry and vanilla, a flurry of chopped nuts and a drizzle of chocolate syrup. While I had the Strawberry Creme Brulee. The custard were quivery soft but the strawberry preserves on top tarnished the appeal of this dessert for me, somewhat. If they've put slices of fresh strawberries instead, it may have put this dessert on a much higher plane of deliciousness.

I cannot thank enough Louie Lyn for tagging me along to this cozy steak and ribs place in Marikina. The delicious food we had here made the travel under the sweltering heat all worth while. And I'm sure that this wouldn't be the last of our food journey. *wink*!

Image
Lot 6, Block 3
Gil Fernando Avenue
Marikina City


No comments:

Post a Comment