Friday, May 23, 2014

I Like My Coffee Crafted This Way

a strong brew of coffee at Craft

As far as I know, Craft Coffee Revolution (then called Craft Coffee Workshop) started out in New Manila. I'm not really too keen on that part of the metro. I usually rely on Google Maps if the place is quite dubious for me. But sometimes I also get confused using it and I oftentimes read the maps wrong. Forgive me. I'm not really that good with geography. So you could just imagine my happiness when I've learned that Craft finally decided to branch out to places I'm quite familiar with.

flat white and macadamia sans rival

I first learned about their satellite branch at the Podium (located where Segafredo Zanetti used to be) via Richard Co's Tales From The Tummy. I so much like the Flat White drink. It's hot, creamy and comforting. More so the Macadamia Sans Rival. Any dessert that has macadamia nuts on it is already a winner on my book. I just don't feel the open space type of coffee shop, especially if the coffee shop is inside the mall. One gets the feeling of eating and drinking coffee using home furnitures and fixtures on sale. And you can just throw privacy out the window. Unless the one ogling at you is as hunky as Zachary Levi, that is. Hehehe!

Craft Coffee Revolution in Esteban Abada

menu

Since I wanted to get a taste of a full coffee experience that Craft Coffee can offer, I decided to swing by to their branch near Katipunan. It can be tricky looking for this place if you're not that familiar with Esteban Abada Street but if you know where the La Creperie restaurant used to sit on this street, then finding this one of a kind coffee shop can be a breeze.

The place was packed when I went here one evening. When I ask one of the servers if they have enough room for one, I was told that I could sit on the "communal table". Maybe the server noticed that my face seem to become like a big question mark, eyes staring blankly at him as if he told me something incomprehensible. He then further explained to me that the communal table is a table for all. Anyone can sit there, if space permits. I had a big A-HA! moment right then.

Magic and Frozen Brazo

I didn't really intend to have a full meal the first night that I was here (they do offer an array of pasta dishes, sandwiches and all-day breakfast meals). I just wanted to be in a place where I could ease myself and shrug the stress off my shoulders while cupping a cup of coffee and nibbling a dessert of my choice. Ironically, even if the place was bustling that evening, it never really bothered me. Maybe because the speakers were continually playing songs by Lifehouse, a band that I like very much. I even liked the fact that I'm surrounded by young adults and teens, most of them huddled in groups studying or making a classroom report. It makes me feel young, too. At least for a while. (I'm already ferrying a boat to the land of middle age called number 34).

The short cappuccino I ordered with an enchanting name of Magic is a strong brew tamed by the creamy touch of milk. Slightly foamy, this magical brew can really work wonders. I immediately felt myself getting at ease after a few sips. The Frozen Brazo is equally captivating. It's almost like I'm eating an ice cream with a very milky, custardy flavor.


Red Eye

The second time I swing by here was by off chance. I was with my friend Gael and we got tired looking for Alexei's Cafe in Marikina. It is said to be near Marquinton but we can't find it anywhere. Even the trike driver we asked was clueless where this cafe is located. Feeling flushed and frustrated, we went instead to Craft. This time to try some savory food to alleviate our hunger.

gambas pasta

omelette with toasts

My friend initial order of Pesto w/ Dory is not available. The server said they've run out of certain ingredients to fulfill this order so she then decided to have the Aglio Olio de Gambas pasta. Slick and slippery noodles with a tangy tomato sauce, a few pieces of shrimps and sprinkled with some parmesan. "This pasta dish lacks some heat." I told my friend. My friend concurred. She asked for some chili flakes and the problem was solved.

The Maryland Omelet that I had is truly rustic. The slices of maple sausage has that smoky flavor with a hint of spice and the omelet is quite very cheesy, too. Kind of reminded me of the omelette that I had at Rustic Mornings by Isabelo.


sunrise slushy

carrot cake & turtle pie

Gael, who don't like drinking hot coffee at coffee shops (she's a cappuccino-type-o'-girl, you know), initially wanted the Iced Mocha but was advised by the server they cannot fulfill this order at this time so she instead order an alternative cold drink with the Sunrise Slushy, a shake composed of banana, apple and orange blitzed with ice, sugar and possibly some milk. Quite an odd mix of fruits to be combined into a shake. Gael wrinkled her nose after a few sips. I asked her why. "Maasim siya,"  was the reply. I did try some, and yes, the sourness were a bit overpowering.

I must admit that the curiously named Red Eye was what got me asking the server for that coffee concoction. How could you not ask yourself what a Red Eye coffee drink taste like when you come across it from the menu? But after one sip, I finally got it. This is one potent brew. A drip coffee with a double ristretto shot. My eyes immediately shoot open and almost literally pop out from its sockets. This coffee is too damn strong for me and immediately wish for a small container of milk to dilute it somewhat. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the full bodied flavor of the coffee and it's earthiness. It's just that I'm not that "man enough" yet to take my coffee this strong. Gael, who I just learned that night that she's used to drinking barako coffee at home, appreciated the slap-me-strong flavor of the Red Eye.

Of course, I wouldn't end any meal without digging on some desserts. I was appalled that Gael would refuse to touch the Carrot Cake. "Hindi ba nga ayaw ko ng carrots." She quipped as she pushed the plate of the offending dessert away from her. I took a bite of the cake. "Masarap siya! Masarap yung frosting niya saka yung cake moist. Treat it like a fruitcake." I further encouraged my friend. She did succumb and took a bite, mostly with the frosting and only some of the cake. But with a mindset of already hating the cake even before trying it, she just swallowed it like swallowing a bitter medicine and proceeded on demolishing the Turtle Pie instead. I was also besotted with this dessert. It's moistness was through and through with a very deep chocolaty flavor. I tried to swoop most of the walnuts from it but apparently my friend like 'em, too.

An added kudos to this coffee shop: the lady who assisted me on my first visit here in Craft remembered me when I dropped by the second time around. And the guy owner approached us to personally apologize for some of the items that we ordered were not available. How cool is that! =)


88 Esteban Abada Street
Loyola Heights, Quezon City

964-7994


No comments:

Post a Comment