Monday, June 2, 2014

The Milkshake That Could Bring You To Ecstasy

food at Sweet Ecstasy

Would it really be possible to reach sweet ecstasy? I think so. I'm an easy to please kind of person. Especially with food. Simple yet properly executed grubs can really get me to ecstasy. Food ecstasy, that is. What were you thinking? :)



where you order


catchy ads to keep you busy while waiting for your order

Sweet Ecstasy is an unassuming little diner in Cubao Expo specializing in burgers, fries and milkshakes as showcased on the blackboard menu. Simple enough but aren't those more simple stuff that can truly captivates you sometimes, even from the get-go? As I wait for my orders, I busy myself reading the catchy ads positioned on one wall as I deliberate why this diner only open at odd hours. I passed by here at around 2PM after stuffing myself with pizza and gnocchi at its next door neighbor, Bellini's, and I caught it's attention grabbing sign telling everyone that the diner is still closed for the day. I wasn't able to get an answer  though 'cause I never bothered to ask.

the Double and kamote fries

peanut butter w/ Oreo milkshake

The first time I've tried kamote fries (at Mang Inasal), it tasted so hideous I vowed never to try it again. Imagine how surprised I was when I ended up liking the Kamote Fries offered here in Sweet Ecstasy. Wondrously thick and long, the sweet potato fries color of almost vibrant orange already invites appeal and I find myself salivating for it. I reach for one long piece, dip it in honey and bite. The sweet flavor of honey is what I tasted first followed by an irrepressible heat. Apparently it's a spiced up honey dip, possibly with sriracha. It's then followed by the natural sweetness of the kamote with a texture that's starchy and mushy contrasted with a bit of saltiness. I liked it.

I was also taken by The Double. It's one big, juicy double patty burger sandwich screaming with beefiness bravado that's so good. The lettuce is crip, the tomatoes is fresh and juicy, the secret mayo sauce gave it a nice zesty zing, the burger sandwich buns are sturdy and doesn't crumble easily. 

But it's the milkshake that I've fallen hard for. The Peanut Butter Oreo Milkshake is unabashedly thick, each sip brings forth peanut butter colliding with cream. Deliciousness further enhanced by Oreos blitz into the mix. It also has a grandiose hairdo of whipped cream sprinkled with more crushed Oreos and a maraschino cherry with a jaunty stem. What's not to love, really?

another burger meal at Sweet Ecstasy

burger bun marked with an 'X'


I went back to Sweet Ecstasy one evening to possibly thresh out things that's been troubling me of late. The meal that I have though wasn't as memorable as the last time, I'm afraid to admit. The Cheeseburger lacks the beefiness bravado that I'm searching for a good burger. I wasn't also ecstatic with the Ecstasy Fries either. The fries were draped in a mayonnaise-like dressing that reminds me of Lady's Choice sandwich spread. Maybe I was too caught up with the gales of emotions that I was feeling that it might affected my appetite and my sense of taste somehow.


salted caramel w/ fudge brownie

But I have nothing to complain with the Salted Caramel w/ Fudge Brownie Milkshake. It's thick enough that I have to sip valiantly. It's chilly, creamy and sweet. The salted caramel syrup gave it a nice contrast of flavor. I just couldn't get enough of it. This drink also serves to remind me that an encounter with a bumpy and craggy road maybe inevitable, but one could also hope for a sweet finish at the end of the lane.


Cubao Expo
General Romulo Ave.
Quezon City


No comments:

Post a Comment