Wednesday, September 24, 2014

From Healthy To Outrageously Sinful

vegan panniza at Edgy Veggy

Always had this conception that anything healthy, like vegan vegetarian kind of healthy, would also equate to an awfully tasteless meal. But how could I be sure of that if I haven't even tried eating an all-out vegetarian meal just to prove my case. I have watched vegan style cooking on the 3ABN Network before. I especially like if it's the Micheff Sisters turn to cook since they're always fun to watch, interjecting jokes here and there while whipping up vegan meals in their kitchen studio. And they were seem "genuine" expressing how good the food that they prepared sans any animal or milk products. Would I also elicit the same kind of reaction if I bite into a pizza with a cheese imitation topping made of tahini, firm tofu and soy?

A First Dip On A Vegan/Vegetarian Meal

at Edgy Veggy in Brixton Street, Kapitolyo

I then consulted a short list of restaurants that I know offers vegan on their menu. And the one that I chose since it happens to be the nearest from my place was Edgy Veggy in Brixton Street, Kapitolyo.

rosella w/ coco sugar

lentil soup

The dining area is quite small. Almost a cafeteria in size with a chaise lounge complete with cushion pillows on one side where the diner could maybe zonk out after a meal. I peruse the menu quite carefully, a bit unsure which to order for a person who will try vegan food the first time but I just followed my instincts and ordered away.

As a starter, I order the Lentil Soup presented minestrone-style. The burst of color is really inviting, and it has a slight tangy taste provided by generous chunks of tomatoes strewn all over the soup. Really liked this one!

I also like to try something healthy for my drink so I chose the Rosella w/ Coco Sugar. The striking red color struck me a little but the flavor somehow reminded me of cranberry juice.


cashew cream & pesto


Mom's mushroom panizza

Now for the main entrees which will make or break my first foray to vegan-vegetarian meal. I was first put off by the appearance of the Cashew Cream & Pesto Pasta. It's sooo green and it looks oh-so-healthy (which is the concept of the restaurant you're dining right now in the first place, may I just remind you!). But after getting pass the initial weirdness with the sickly green color, this turn out to be quite an enjoyable pasta dish. The pesto sauce caressing each penne noodles has that slick oil finish to it touch with a little bit of cream which I would presume is non-fat (of course, it was!). 

It took me a little getting use to with the Mom's Mushroom Panizza since I always associate pizza as a bready dish teeming with cheese. The pizza placed before me has hardly any cheese on it. It was said to have creamy cashew cheese as a substitute to the dairy cheese but maybe it was mixed to the garlic pesto sauce since I wasn't able to detect it's presence at all. As with most panizzas, it came with a side of arugula and alfalfa sprouts for you to put on top. This pizza is pretty decent for a vegan variety if I should say so myself. But I started to miss my carbo-loaded, deep dished with pepperoni and cheese pizza just after a few bites.


peanut butter & banana tart (?)

I also wondered what a vegan dessert would taste like. After careful rumination, I decided to give the Peanut Butter Banana Tart (I think that's the name of the dessert) a try. Though I wish I hadn't right after taking my first bite. Though, no doubt some die hard health buffs would gladly embrace this dessert to fulfill their cravings for a guiltless sweet. I, however, will pass up on this one. I just couldn't find any appeal on a peanut butter that taste more like an under seasoned liver spread or liver pâté. Plus the crust itself was so hard I have to carefully bite on it lest I want my teeth to suffer from such a strenuous eating exercise. 



















3 Brixton Street
Kapitolyo, Pasig City
(Behind Pioneer Street, Pioneer Supermarket Pasig)

http://edgyveggy.ph

******************************
Sweet Indulgence & Submission

at Classic Confections commissary

But I didn't really felt bad that my meal at Edgy Veggy ended dourly since I already have a Plan B in mind just in case their dessert would be a kaput. The commissary of Classic Confections is just a few paces away and it's here that I fully indulge my sweet cravings.

desserts and coffee

I'm always entranced with pretty desserts. More so if they're exceptionally good. I almost succumb to the temptation of the Chocolate Oblivion but another dessert caught me eye.

double chocolate mousse and vanilla cupcake

cafe latte

This pretty chocolate cake strewn with polka dots called the Double Chocolate Mousse won me over. Not all that crazy with mousse desserts but I find the milk and white chocolate mousse layered cake quite appealing, texture-wise. The chocolate band surrounding the cake also added another depth of chocolate goodness to the whole lot. I also liked the Vanilla Cupcake, a sturdy cake with a toothachingly sweet buttercream frosting. Good to the last crumb.

Classic Confections also serves Illy coffee so a cup of Cafe Latte goes down quite well with my desserts. This is the kind of sinful indulgences that I would commit again and again and again. *wink*! ;)














3 Brixton Street
Kapitolyo, Pasig City

696-7343


No comments:

Post a Comment