Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Food Tripping w/ Ish

pizza and pasta at Todd English

It's a long overdue post; and my friend Ish, who's been with me on these food trips to BGC would wholeheartedly agree. But I'm finally posting this now on my online diary's 3rd year. 


The Pleasure Of Plated Ice Cream Bar Desserts

cookie dough skillet

This gastronomic adventure with Ish materialized when I intimated to some friends the opening of Magnum Cafe in SM Aura a few months back. Immediately, Ish got curious and wanted to be tagged along. Contrary to what other people may perceive, I do welcome an "eating buddy". So to have her as an eating partner and practically game of just about anything and everything, my mind just swims on the possibilities on what we could gobble up later. 


munching on Bronuts' croughnuts


I came to SM Aura early. I got a text from Ish that she'll be a little late because of the rush hour traffic that she needs to muster from Makati. I regretfully forgot to bring a paperback to read to keep me busy. And eventually, I got tired reading news feeds from my social media accounts. To solve the dilemma of boredom, I search for Bronuts' stall at the Food On Four area.  Truth be told, I'm not all that hot with croughnuts but I've read somewhere that the croughnuts offered by Bronuts are one of a kind. However, I found the bread a little too chewy preventing me to enjoy full mastication. No doubt, the flavors of their croughnuts were a standout but the bread itself were a let down.

inside Magnum Cafe

Finally, Ish arrived and caught me red handed stuffing myself with Bronuts' croughnuts. I tried to offer her some but she's more attuned to try out Magnum Cafe. So off we go without much ado. As with all newly opened restaurants that's creating such a buzz, Magnum Cafe is packed and we have to line up on a long queue. Much to Ish's dismay, only desserts are being offered at that time for dining in customers. She's already in deep pangs of hunger and yearning instead for savory dishes like pasta or pizza before digging in on the sweets. Nevertheless, excitement ruled over and we highly anticipate the desserts that we'll be trying as we settled to our seats.


death by chocolate


red velet


Ish enjoying the sweet treats at Magnum Cafe

Ish was aghast when I ordered three desserts for us to share. I even surprised myself considering the amount of croughnuts I've consumed before going to Magnum Cafe, but I'm riding on a sugar high that day and I don't feel like letting up. 

The first we've tried is the Death By Chocolate. It's Magnum Cafe's own rendition of the chocolate lava cake. Beneath that crackly chocolate cover is a wave of liquid chocolate bliss further enhanced with chocolate truffle and what they call "chocolate crispearls". A decadent chocolate dessert this one is.

The next we tried is the Red Velvet. A pretty mosaic dessert on plate with a moist red velvet cake and cream cheese partnered with a Magnum vanilla ice cream bar and chocolate sauce.

But my runaway favorite is the Cookie Dough Skillet. A champion combination of warm and cold with the chocolate chip cookie dough and two Magnum bars and dark chocolate sauce.

Ish managed to get a few spoonfuls of each and then she relent defeat. I happily polished the three desserts for her while she stared at me with wide eye suspicion on how I could muster that much sugar in one seating. Seeing on her face her longing to eat proper dinner food, I dabbed my chocolate stained lips and invited her to our next order of business.
















5th Floor
SM Aura Premier
C5 Road corner 26th Street
Bonifacio Global City, Taguig

**********************
A Food Hall Like No Other


table setting

We then sauntered to Todd English Food Hall. Good thing the line has already dwindled so we didn't wait that long to be finally seated.

lining up for the food hall

The cocktails immediately caught my attention when the menu was handed down to us. Aside from an excuse to intake a little alcohol, it also serve to cleanse our palate from all of the sweet we've eaten thus far. 

Sex On The Beach and Cosmopolitan

Ish enjoying her cocktail

I zeroed in on the Sex On The Beach. And my sinister mind goaded me, "That's the closest to sex that you will ever get!" (Uh, wait! Where did that come from?). My eating partner Ish followed suit and ordered the Cosmopolitan to invoke "the Carrie Bradshaw/Sex In The City vibe". I was a little surprise that the drink appeared in a light lemonade color. Not the usual pink/red which is the customary hue of a Cosmopolitan drink.


fig & prosciutto


Brooklyn style spaghetti

There has been much talk about the Fig & Prosciutto Flatbread Pizza. It's kinda sweet for my palate, maybe because of the fig jam. Guess I'm not yet ready for a sweeter variety of pizza. I'll be more traditional with my pizza order next time I swing by. To go along with the pizza, we ordered for the Brooklyn Style Spaghetti Polpetini which Ish and I devoured to the last strand. The meatballs on this pasta were quite excellent. Something to come back for.

I could have asked for another round of desserts here at Todd English. I heard and read the OMG Chocolate Cake dessert is truly OMG! with it's luxury sweet goodness. But Ish gave me the bug eyed look when I hinted of ending our meal with a dessert course. Okay, then! :)






















SM Aura Premier
C5 Road cor 26th Street
Bonifacio Global City
Taguig

http://foodhall.toddeng

**********************
A Sports Bar From Down Under


food at Skippy's


On another occasion, me and Ish were back in BGC because she's excited to try Baskin' Robbins which recently made a comeback to the Philippines' shores. But before we dive ourselves to the delicious creamy ice creams of the said international brand, we first visited Skippy's Bar & Grill, a sports bar that offers Aussie comfort food.

bar area

cocktails

I have this thing with cocktails these days. They serve like an apertif of sort to stimulate the appetite. Ish beaten me in ordering for the Woolloo Mooloo, a vodka based cocktail named after a suburb in Sydney. Instead of ordering the same drink, since I adhere to the maxim variety dispels monotony, I asked for the Global Warming. It kind of reminded me of the cosmopolitan but with a more bitter note.


chicken parmigiana

bolognese

We skipped the appetizers and dive in with our forks and spoons ready on the mains. One bite of the Chicken Parmigiana and the first thought that came to my mind is pizza. The tomato sauce and the cheese teeming over it reminded me of such. The Beef Spaghetti Bolognese is just alright. Nothing to really rave about.

Aussie pizza and Chicken Wings

chubby me and Ish hamming it up for the camera


To keep up with the Aussie theme, we ordered the Aussie Pizza. A satisfying pizza with egg, ham, mozzarella and mushroom. Although I just find the crust exceedingly thin. I have to hold a slice with both hands otherwise the whole lot will droop. I do find the Chicken Wings pleasing. Very flavorful and with just the right level of spiciness that dipping it on the provided BBQ sauce is almost unnecessary.

We could have stayed longer for desserts but our minds are already preoccupied with what's in store for us at Baskin' Robbins. And I could already see on Ish face how excited she was to go there. So without delaying any further, after asking the nearest waitstaff to prepare our leftovers for take out, we brisk walked ourselves from BGC Forum to High Street.





















Federation Drive cor 7th Avenue
Bonifacio Global City, Taguig

http://www.skippys-bar.com

**********************
Basking On The Robbin


long line at Baskin Robbins


Surprised to discover as I'm sorting through the pictures that I will upload for this post that I only managed to snap a few pictures of this visit to Baskin Robbins. My hunch would be that I've already reached the maximum memory of my phone storage that prevented me to take more pictures. But that minor trouble didn't rob me to fully enjoy the luxury creaminess that our eager mouths happily devoured.

min cup and large cup

Among the three flavors that I've ordered (Pistachio Almond, Love Potion #31 and the World Class Chocolate), I liked the chocolate. Rich and creamy with a deep chocolate note. An ice cream flavor that is truly world class.

Ish and chubby me

Thanks again, Ish for keeping up with my appetite on these food trips. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the last. =)





















Upper Ground Floor
Central Square
Bonifacio High Street Central
Taguig City

www.baskinrobbins.com

No comments:

Post a Comment