Monday, February 6, 2012

My Heart Beats For Cafe Cristina


cafe cristina's food

A cheesy title for a post, I know. But hey! Valentine is just around the corner so one can be excused to be cheesy these days. Cafe Cristina, situated along Marcos Highway, may not be an ideal spot for a romantic rendezvous, since its right within the vicinity of a Shell gas station (the cafe gives off a more homey, barkada hang-out feel), but you would literally fall in love with some of the food items they offer, as I did.

When my friend Lei briefly mentioned on her Facebook status that she went to Cafe Cristina after a relaxing massage with our common friends, I really got curious and asked her the exact location of the cafe. I even went to the extent of Googling about the cafe. One thing led to another, the next thing we know, we're already plotting a possible get together brunch with our friends. Possibly with the same group of friends who was with me on that wonderful Johnny Rockets pre-Christmas get-together, with more people adding in. 


cafe cristina inside the shell gas station

I got worried when no one among our friends expressed any intention of attending the said brunch date right after I posted an invitation on my Facebook wall. Still, even if no one attended, I'm still head bent to visit the cafe on the date that was agreed upon and savor the food all by myself, which is my normal scheme of things. But I still felt a surge of relief when Julie posted on my invitation that she's already at Cafe Cristina with Mommy Desh

Lei gave clear instruction on her text on where to find Cafe Cristina so finding it was such a breeze (May provided additional info much later once we're all gathered together that this place where Cafe Cristina now stood used to be occupied by Mocha Blends). I also spotted quite a number of food places along the way. I even spied another coffee shop just before I hit the Shell station that I might visit one of these days. 

cafe cristina interior

port mocha sign

dessert display

According to Lei, the original branch of Cafe Cristina in Antipolo is more spacious than the Marcos Highway branch. Although she liked the Marcos Highway branch more because of its relaxing and laid back vibe. I quite fancy the place, really. It kind of reminded of a Papemelroti store just by looking at the interiors. Cutesy decors and knickknacks lined up on one wall cabinet; mugs and tumblers was showcased on the other. I could only imagine this was how the Papemelroti Cafe once looked in Roces Avenue before The Chocolate Kiss Cafe took over. I was slightly dismayed, though, when my gaze fell upon the almost empty display case reserved for desserts. Hopefully, on my next visit there would be more selections for desserts.


cafe cristina


me ordering at the counter (photo courtesy of jolee)


Aside from Mommy Desh and Julie, Mommy Jolee and her daughter Leila was already in attendance when I entered the cafe. Julie and Mommy Desh already ordered some teas and cookies, while Mommy Jolee eagerly awaits for me to order before placing her own orders which I find quite uneasy because I could feel she's up to something. I finally succumb to my hunger (I only had a very light breakfast of a bread roll, coffee and egg earlier), went straight to the counter and quickly informed to an expectant server my choices on the menu.


vanilla milkshake


classic chocolate cake


cappuccino cheesecake


First to arrive are the sweet treats which I really didn't mind at all. The Vanilla Milkshake (P105.00) looked quite stunning. Milky white in color with a very impressive swirl of whipped cream on top that almost looked like the petals of a large white rose. It looked so whimsical and pristine that Mommy Jolee asked me as soon as I took my first sip on how I find it. Pretty sure that she would order one for herself once I give it a go. Sadly, this milkshake didn't fare well for me. I find the texture too thin and watery. An improvement for a more thicker, sweeter vanilla milkshake would be most welcome.


I would also want to see an improvement with their Classic Chocolate Cake (P115.00). Its a good cake, the chocolate icing was luscious enough and chocolaty. The cake itself however, is a different story. My friends and I find it too dry and crumbles easily. It would have been better if the cake was a little bit moist. 


At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if my meal here would turn out to be a lackluster one. Good thing the Cappuccino Cheesecake (P120.00) disproved that. An attractive cheesecake that is so smooth and sweet, with chocolate and coffee flavor making its presence known in your palate. The goodness of this cheesecake was quite evident when my friends can't stop forking on this dessert.


Tuna & Crab sandwich


tuna & tomato pasta


cheese logs


Finally, my savory orders arrived. The Tuna & Crab Sandwich (P100.00) was quite filling. With imitation crab meat, tuna, egg, lettuce and more than a smear of mayonnaise, this sandwich was quite a treat. The Tuna & Tomato Pasta has a very tangy sauce that coats each fettucine noodles. However, it was the Cheese Logs (P150.00) appetizer that got me at hello at first bite. A revamped version of cheese sticks, cheese strips cut thickly covered only with bread crumbs and egg wash before it was deep fried instead of wanton wrappers that I'm usually used to. Bite into one and you'll be hooked. My friends are equally enamored with this appetizer that they outdone me to the last cheese log. That only goes to show how good the cheese logs are.


a sneaky shot by mommy jolee


Mommy Jolee took this picture including all the food I ordered into the scene unbeknownst to me because I'm too busy taking pictures myself. Hah! I just knew it! Hehehe...


arroz ala cubana


red iced tea


crispy pork binagoongan


chocolate milkshake


I wasn't able to keep tabs of the all the orders my buddies made so I'm just committing it all to memory. Mommy opted to have the Arroz Ala Cubana (P145.00), a dish I might order the next time I'm back here. Mommy Jolee let me have some of it and it was just so tasty. She partnered her dish with a red iced tea. Lei decided to have a hearty rice meal of Crispy Pork Binagoongan (P170.00), Lei let me try some of her order as well. I'm not a fan of lechon kawali or any pork dishes of its kind. But this one worked for me, especially the fatty part. I also liked the bagoong (shrimp paste) was not that salty. (I believe Leila also ordered the same crispy pork dish for her brunch meal.) As for her drink, she had the Chocolate Milkshake. I just wasn't able to ask Lei if she also find her drink too thin and lacking in sweetness as I did find on my own milkshake order. 


carbonara


fish & chips


chicken fingers


pork tocino


strawberry milkshake


mommy desh's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard he-he!


May ordered the Carbonara. She mentioned on Facebook that she was unimpressed with the food but she loved the cheese logs. Could it be this carbonara dish that she deemed unimpressive? I never heard Timmy complained with his Fish & Chips (P120.00) order so it must be all good. Julie's finds her order of Chicken Fingers (P130.00), a buffalo wing-type dish, spiced up just fine. Temper the spice down some more with the provided dipping sauce. Although she need to ask our server to cook one chicken piece the second time after she saw an undesirable red fluid (?) that oozed out from the meat after she cut through it. Soon-to-be-bride Jocel decided to have the Pork Tocino w/ Egg (P135.00) which, if my memory serves me right, she was only able to finish halfway through. I wonder why? Mommy Desh beamed with delight with her orders of the Tuna & Tomato pasta (same as my pasta dish of choice) and the Strawberry Milkshake


As you can see, this can very well be a case of hit and miss with Cafe Cristina, which was kind of nice since it provided diversity in opinion with the food the cafe offers. As for me, I find the food I ordered here quite satisfactory. Even though, I did have a few misses with the vanilla milkshake and the chocolate cake, I still like my dining experience here well enough to consider another visit. Most possibly with more option for desserts the next time around.


mommy desh, julie, mommy jolee & leila


jocel, lei & me


kipp, daisy, jocel & lei


julie, franchette & may


may, lei & me (photo courtesy of mommy jolee)


We all had a fantastic time together. There was never a dull moment and we kept exchanging stories and some juicy gossips without a pause till its time for us to leave at past three in the afternoon. Franchette, Kipp with his partner Daisy was able to follow halfway through our stay in the cafe. Meeting with these guys is always a fun treat. As much as I like eating just by myself in most of my dine out, nothing still beats the company of good old friends sharing a good meal and having a good laugh at the same time. 


group pic 1


group pic 2 (photo courtesy of mommy jolee)



As for me, a return visit to Cafe Cristina is in order one of these days. More of those wonderful cheese logs and maybe to try out other food items on their menu. Thanks again to Lei for not keeping this a secret and sharing this wonderful cafe to us.


cafe cristina; marcos highway


CAFE CRISTINA


Insidw the vicinity of Shell Gas Station on Marcos Highway
(Right after Town & Country and the Talipapa Market)

No comments:

Post a Comment