Saturday, February 21, 2015

What I Did Last Valentine's Day

food at Marufuku

So, Valentine's Day has come and gone. But that doesn't mean that only couples had the license to enjoy and celebrate the cheesiest season this year (I mean that in a good way). Even happily single persons like me (I meant that with conviction!) also has a way of enjoying this season of hearts. It may not be conventional to some but hey! Whatever works, right?

reading a Candace Bushnell paperback while out and about

Part of the reason why I'm not able to post as much as I wanted was that I gotten so hooked up with reading. It occupies most of my free time that I totally forgot that I have an online diary to update. For February, since it's the so-called Love Month, I decided to pick up a chick lit (do they still use that term?) from my enormous stash of books (I'm not kidding on this regard. I think I already accumulated enough books to last me a lifetime, given the pace of how fast---or slow---reading through one book). I've never read Sex & The City, said to be Candace Bushnell's breakout novel. Maybe because I've watch a couple of episodes of the Sarah Jessica Parker starred series that it doesn't interest me much reading it in book form. I guess a lot of people (at that time, at least) are reading the book because it's the "it" thing back then, and I don't want to be part of the hoi polloi, in a matter of speaking. I wanted to go against the grain so I decided to buy a lesser popular novel of hers, Lipstick Jungle. The book also became a TV series headlined by Brooke Shields but it didn't fly off as much as Sex & The City did.

Initially, I thought the book would just be a shallow chronicle of the glitz and glamour of the women of New York City but I was surprised by the depth of the story. It dealt with some of the important issues like business politics, domestic drama and infidelity. But among the three main characters which comprises of Nico O'Neilly, editor in chief of a major glossy; Victory Ford, a successful fashion designer and Wendy Healy, president of a major film studio, I like Wendy character best. She has complexity in her character and the diversity of the situation she was in that I relish and look forward to reading whenever it's her turn of the story to unfold. I'm more than halfway through but I'm liking the book so far. It wasn't perfect. But it's a breeze read that you could look beyond the fault on some of the prose and the story is enjoyable enough to you could just sit back and follow the course of each women as they decipher the true meaning of happiness and success.

***************


heart shaped chocolate cake from Café France

I first saw this heart shaped chocolate cake on Jin Perez of Jin Loves To Eat's instagram post on my feed. The actual name of the cake escaped me at that time. All I know is that I can buy this chocolate cake of resplendent beauty at Cafe France. So on the eve of Valentine's, I scurry my butt to the nearest Cafe France in my area right after work. I belatedly learned that the name of the cake is Choco Caramel Amore

It wasn't as gooey moist as I would like but the layers of caramel makes up for it. And hey! For a cake this beauty just worth 275 php, it's already a steal! :)

www.cafefrance.net

**************


Unresolved Issue

Closure

On Valentine's Day, I was so intrigued with the curious monikers of Sebastian's Ice Cream with their newest ice cream flavors for the month of hearts. With the enthralling names of Unresolved Issue and Closure for ice cream, I knew for a fact that I shouldn't let Valentine's Day pass without trying these ones out.

Unresolved Issues is basically ampalaya sorbet studded with candied ampalaya bits. For those who abhors ampalaya, you may not like it. I saw a girl who sampled it and her face contorted in an almost comical manner as soon as she tasted it and was crying out "Eeeeew!" every few seconds. But for me who do likes ampalaya, I find this quite OK. Sure the bitterness is there but it's very subtle.

But I do like the Closure better. It's a chrysanthemum infused ice cream that's unbelievably creamy with orange zest and vanilla. I was spooning it one after another and surprised to realized that all of it was gone. It's really good! I'll probably try the revamped versions of the Matinong Boyfriend and Matinong Girlfriend once I get back to Sebastian's.

www.facebook.com/Sebastians.Ice.Cream

**************


Gyudon & Kaki Motoyaki

I always make it a point to dine on my restaurant of choice during Valentine's Day. It doesn't really matter if I'm dining solo and all around me are pairs sharing their food, cuddling and exchanging sweet nothings all at the same time. Call me a masochist but I enjoy it that way. It's a way of relishing my food and to be introspective at the same time. It's my quiet me. Just me and the food that I'm eating.






It was a busy night at Marufuku. I would have want to position myself at the bar fronting the open kitchen to see all the action happening but it was already been reserved for the night. I occasionally see fires flaring up as the chef prepares the food. And every time that happens, the crowd inevitably clap as if they've just seen a bravado performance.

Gyudon

Kaki Motoyaki

I would like to think that I order "fashionably" less nowadays. Taking into consideration the widening girth of my body. I swore I should hit the gym or indulge myself in a sort of exercise but I don't know how to start. I didn't know if I even have a proper exercise attire in my closet. But for this night, I asked for a bowl of Gyudon. A simple mix of thinly sliced beef, onion and what seem to me sliced of red cabbage and egg. The rice are al dente and mix with a wonderful sauce. I was totally captivated by it.

But one thing I would always look for whenever I'll be at Marufuku would be the Kaki Motoyaki. Grilled Hiroshima oysters to perfection laced with delicate miso paste and mayonnaise. I'm always tempted to order more of these but I have to practice restraint. Yes, it's that addicting! These oysters! :) 









Crescent Building
29 San Miguel Avenue
Pasig City

570-3989


No comments:

Post a Comment