Monday, March 9, 2015

Food Tripping w/ Your Best Buddy (First Part)

food at Dulcelin Gourmet

If I could choose among my friends who could be my favorite food trip buddy, that would be no other than Karen. She doesn't quibble about prices or the enormity of the food we're about to partake. We could always ask for it to be placed on a take away bag, she would quip to which I would concur.

inside Dulcelin Gourmet

We've been to a couple of restaurants but here are our recent gastronomic adventures wherein I'd try my best to detail it as succinctly as possible. Keep it short and sweet, as they say.

cake boxes for your take out


I couldn't be so much happier when Dulcelin Gourmet finally put up a standalone restaurant at UP Town Center. So I dragged my ever reliable foodie buddy Karen along to try out the savory dishes the restaurant has to offer as well as the sweets.

spicy mac & cheese balls

roast beef belly

To titillate our appetites, we ordered an appetizer called Spicy Mac & Cheese Balls. It's fried Chipotle balls with mac and cheese inside spiked with jalapeno. Karen is quite indecisive trying this one out. She hates anything spicy. But after finishing one of those mac and cheese balls, I saw her forking another. Dip it on the provided barbecue mayo dressing and you're really in for a treat. 

We just find the Roast Beef Belly rather bland. And the minuscule amount of red wine and mushroom gravy doesn't help at all. 

fresh mushroom pasta

buttermilk fried chicken

But we do like the Fresh Mushroom Pasta. Don't be fooled by the beguilingly simple name of the dish because its truffle cream sauce is insanely good. The sauce coats each tagliatelle pasta marvelously. It also has plenty of button and shiitake mushrooms that we didn't even miss real meat from this dish.

We also liked the Buttermilk Fried Chicken that we shared. Crispy yet succulent on the inside. The largeness of the serving for its price is really a knock out steal.

Karen hamming it up for the camera

mango torte

Callebaut chocolate ganache cake

Of course, a visit to Dulcelin Gourmet wouldn't be complete without trying out the cakes they became famous for. I have high hopes for the Mango Torte, said to be the best in the metro. But I find the mango balls atop of this layered meringue cake quite icy for me to enjoy. What I truly enjoyed is the stunner of a cake, the Callebaut Chocolate Ganache Cake. Unrelenting with its chocolate goodness, Karen and I demolished this big slice in no time. I liked this chocolate cake so much I'm counting this one as one of my favorites.





















www.ducelin.com

**************************


cakes and coffee at Lucca Bakery


After making a stroll around the UP Town Center, I prodded Karen to have some coffee at Lucca Bakery. Karen agreed tentatively but she was aghast when she saw me gazing at the pastries and cakes, pondering which I would order to go along with our coffees. "Are you serious that you still want to order those?" Karen said in Tagalog as she stared at me with abject horror on her face. I just smiled and proceeded asking for the cake slices I fancied.

breads and loafs

cakes

mocha bianca

flat white

Karen inquired what the Mocha Bianca is she's inclining to order that drink. The only reply she got is that "matamis po yan." Well, that's not the description we were hoping for. But checking it quickly on the Internet, Mocha Bianca is basically just a white cafe mocha. Karen conceded that it is sweet. I took a sip and I find it quite alright.

I settled for a Flat White. Capped with a latte art that I couldn't discern if it's a heart or a clover leaf, but the milky joe appealed to me greatly especially when partnered a slice of Espresso Dacquiose cake.

LUCCA BAKERY

G/F UP Town Center
Katipunan Avenue
Diliman, Q.C.



No comments:

Post a Comment