Friday, January 6, 2012

Good Times Really Roll in Johnny Rockets

johnny rockets' hamburger & milkshake

This much-hyped American burger place was definitely the "it" place to dine when Johnny Rockets opened its first branch in the Philippines (apparently, its their very first in Asia) in Eastwood Mall around two years ago. It's main "attraction", so to speak, was their servers, including the managers (sometimes the guard, as well!) would suddenly dance in the middle of the diner once Donna Summers started belting her classic song Last Dance! from the jukebox. A quite fresh, interesting concept for a burger place at that time.


johnny rockets' crew dancing with the birthday celebrant


ketchup smiley

That's one of the reason why I went to Johnny Rockets the first time on their second branch in The Veranda, Robinson Galleria. I really enjoyed the ambiance and the service crew's general vibrant aura. I also chanced upon a girl celebrating her birthday that day. Once the crew learned about it, they donned her with a labelled Johnny Rockets' hat and had her dance with the rest to an oldies' tune. It was such a fun sight I have to take a picture of it *wink*. And of course, who could forget about those cute ketchup smilies and the unlimited fries.

Coke light


Rocket Single

Cookies & Cream Milkshake

On this first visit, I ordered the Rocket Single, a sufficiently thick burger patty with the requisite lettuce, tomatoes, onion slices and their secret special sauce. And that oh-so-yummy-you-can't-get-enough-of Cookies And Cream Milkshake. A very thick and rich milkshake that I would guess this was the main reason why I filled so easily in between bites of the hamburger and snacking of the fries. I only just wished the buns used for the hamburger are sturdier to make up for the thickness of the burger patty.

johnny rockets table setting

people abuzz

I tried Johnny Rockets again just recently, this time in their Eastwood Branch. I was supposed to try out another American diner in the area, however it was fully packed, given its a Saturday night. I was led to the bar area instead since all tables, even those on the upper floor (this is already a hint! hint! to which food establishment I'm referring to), are occupied. However, seeing that I'm almost shoulder to shoulder with other people in the bar, considering I wanted to have a full meal, I immediately knew this wouldn't work out the way I wanted. So, off I went to Johnny Rockets.

One of the reasons I'm in Eastwood that night, aside from pigging out, was because I had a sort of Pre-Christmas get-together to attend to. Former colleagues and forever friends from a BPO company I used to work for. We called ourselves the "United-IMPI" peeps. Meeting place was supposed to be in Starbucks Coffee inside the Eastwood Mall. However, they were not there yet when I arrived so off I went to stroll around for a while and to look for a place to dine that ended up with JR. I only ate lightly right before and my stomach needed to be satisfied to its full.

The Houston

The Houston (after being demolished by moi he-he!)

Mocha Fudge Milkshake

My server, named Sweet (a name that really matches her personality nonetheless), assisted me with my orders. I felt brave that night so I ordered The Houston. The included ingredient of Jalapenos was what made me choose this burger. Aside from my favorite Jalapeno, it also has pepper jack cheese, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and their secret spicy sauce. It was not that spicy, it only jolted my tastebuds momentarily with its zing but was diminished quickly after I chased it with sips of that oh-so-rich-and-good-I-almost-forgot-my-name Mocha Fudge Milkshake. And who could forget the fries, I guess its one of the best in Manila. I just had to sprinkle enough salt to it and its pure carbo loaded bliss. He-he!

daisy & kip (photo courtesy of mommy jolee)

mommy toni, franchette & julie

me & lei

kuya regi & mommy jolee

w/ aaron (photo courtesy of mommy jolee)

Once I saw my friends came into the diner, I was overfilled with glee. Never have I realized how I missed each and every one of them. I got so busy exchanging 'hi's' with them and cheek kissing that I momentarily forgot about my half-eaten hamburger. It was one of those moment I felt how bless and lucky I am to have such sets of friends that no matter how time flies by and even after not seeing each other for the longest time, once a get-together such as these happen, its as if time is on a standstill and we've never been apart that long.

Bacon Cheddar Single

philly cheese steak

a variant(?) of philly cheese steak (photo courtesy of mommy jolee)

the perfect brownie sundae

When my friends' orders arrived at our table, they readily allowed me to take pictures of the food, since they knew I do blog mostly about food. Lei ordered I think the Bacon Cheddar Single, with large bacon strips it protruded from the hamburger buns and the cheese melt languorously on the burger patty. Julie and Franchette shared on the hefty serving of Philly Cheese Steak, equally appealing with its thinly sliced steak and grilled onions that glistens on a hoagie roll cut in two. Lei, Julie and Franchette allowed me to try their sandwich of choice. Lei's hamburger has that similar flavor, I think, with The Houston, just without the spicy zing of the Jalapeno, the bacon strips and its special sauce while the Philly Cheese Steak has that peppery feel to it with the sweet note from the grilled onions. This I got to try on my next visit. Kip and Daisy's order seemed like the Philly Cheese Steak as well albeit with an additional toppings of red and green bell peppers. Aaron ordered a salad, I guessed its the Garden Salad variety. No picture this time, since he's seated far away from me.

Finally, my dessert came which I get to share with everyone, called The Perfect Brownie Sundae. A perfectly gooey brownie with a Vanilla ice cream on top and lashes of chocolate syrup. A very simple dessert yet it gets the job done.

jukebox

me & julie playing w/ the jukebox (photo courtesy of mommy jolee)

one of Wild Wires by Aaron's creation

The United Volt-In (photo courtesy of mommy jolee)

Animated chit-chat started from the get-go. It seems everyone has a story to share (or is it a 'juicy' gossip to tell *wink*).  Me and Julie tried the jukebox since it was placed right next to our seats. The first time, it did played (that also cued its time for the crew to do their dance moves), albeit a different music from the one we selected. The second time around, the jukebox didn't played any music at all. I wonder why? In the meantime, Aaron brought with him some of his accessories from his Wild Wires collection. Mommy Jolee thought of this candid shot (check above photo) that highlighted those wonderful bracelets.

I do have some pictures and a short video of Aaron with the Johnny Rockets crew dancing to Donna Summers' Last Dance (I believe Mommy Jolee has the longer version), however Aaron begged us not to include the said pictures and video to any of our personal Facebook accounts. Although, it was really a cute dance scene with the JR crew, and its worthy to say that he even outshine them all. It was indeed a riot. As a reward, he received a GC handed down to him by one of the crew for his participation in the dance.

candid shot w/ julie and franchette

another candid shot with kip, mommy toni & franchette

yet another candid shot with kuya regi & mommy jolee
group pic (photo courtesy of mommy jolee)

It was indeed a memorable get-together for all of us. I hope that another one would commence this year with more peeps from our group joining in the fun. Again, I heart you all, guys. (Kip with her partner Daisy, Mommy Toni, Franchette, Julie, Aaron, Mommy Jolee, Kuya Regi & Lei) Mwah mwah tsup tsup! =)


johnny rockets, eastwood mall

Thanks to Johnny Rockets as well that served as our venue for this wonderful gathering of friends I so dearly missed. 


(P.S. - Right after this hefty American diner experience, we did some strolling around and then brought them to one of my favorite cafe, Cafeccino By Dome. Details of that episode will be on my next post. *wink*)


The Veranda, Robinson Galleria
EDSA cor Ortigas Ave.

(02)477-6499

G/F Eastwood Mall
E. Rodriguez Ave., Bagumbayan, Libis


(02)470-2117

They also have branches now in Tomas Morato and Burgos Circle in Taguig.


4 comments:

  1. Hi!

    We are delighted to see your review about Johnny Rockets, THANK YOU! We hope you don’t mind if we share it on our Facebook fan page (https://www.facebook.com/johnnyrocketsphil) and Twitter (http://twitter.com/JohnnyRockets01).

    Hoping to see you at Johnny Rockets again soon!

    Best,

    Johnny Rockets Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all, JR (PHL). Thanks for noticing and yes, I would look forward to be back to any of your store... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be referring to Donna Summer's "Last Dance" and not Diana Ross. I do not think she has a hit song na "Let's Dance". Hope you don't mind the correction. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annoymous,

    Correction made. Thanks for pointing this out. Appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete