Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Very Special Christmas Moment w/ Friends in Ye Dang

table setting

I've always wanted to try Korean dishes. However, I'm not really in the know-how on which restaurants in the metro serve the best. Until I chanced upon Ang Pinaka's feature of Ang Pinaka-Patok Na International Chibugan, and it listed Ye Dang Korean BBQ Restaurant on the number 2 slot. And its geographic location near Meralco Avenue add more to its charm. I knew right then and there as I saw Rovilson Fernandez on TV relishing his bowl of Dolsot Bibimbop that I have to try this resto.


menu book

The opportunity came to finally try Ye Dang  came when Jhen told me that Karen's initial plan of having our Christmas get-together in Resorts World wouldn't pan out. I immediately suggested that we try out Ye Dang. Jhen agreed quite easily because of its proximity. Although, I have to admit, I'm quite nervous suggesting this resto to my friends, since I haven't tried it myself. What if the meal turned out to be not that good? It would be a total disaster. Plus, my friends were quite reluctant trying out the resto because of Ye Dang's quite dubious location (its right along a car sales establishment and Rapide). Its apparent when Karen Anne suggested that we do our get-together in Brazil! Brazil! instead. However, Jhen informed us that Ofie was already inside Ye Dang when we all met up in Starbucks Coffee, Metrowalk. So, we all decided to stick with the original plan.

teeming with people

What we didn't expect when we entered the resto was how packed the place was, given its a weeknight. Good thing, Ofie was there to nab a table for our party which consist of me, Jhen, Ofie, Karen Anne, Darlene and the newest addition to our group, Laurie

shiso leaf

shiso leaf (up-close)

First to arrive at our table were the Korean mint leaves or shiso. Based on what I saw and read on various food blogs, particularly the pictures posted by Leslie of Shoot First, Eat Later, that you used that leaf to wrap your food in it, like fresh lumpia. Trying to be such a pro, I showed them how to eat it by putting some of the meat we ordered on the leaf, wrap it, and then I took a large bite. In the end, Jhen ended up doing this ritual of wrapping the meat on the shiso leaf with much gusto.

side dishes

more side dishes

We marveled the numerous side dishes that was offered to us, which I guess how Korean traditionally eat with their main entrees. I particularly like the spicy-sweet fish cakes and the sweet baby potatoes. Thinking about it just makes my mouth waters.

spicy pan fried squid

korean beef short rib stew

Karen asked our girl server to mellow down the spiciness of the food, much to Jhen's vehement disapproval since she just love anything a tad bit spicy. I'm glad Karen requested for it to mellow it down since the spiciness of the food was still very much apparent on the dishes served to us. What more if the food spiciness level was not tuned down? I might request our server a barrel of water on our side of the table. He-he!

shiso leaf and spicy pork w/ vegetable stir fry

We did ordered a lot that night, I cannot remember the names of all of the food we tried. Alas! I wasn't able to keep the Official Receipt with me which is usually my source of labeling names of the food I usually post here. So, I'm just committing it all to memory and sources from the Net about Ye Dang. I do remember loving every spoonful of the Spicy Pan Fried Squid with vegetables. Its that red sauces that enveloped this dish that made the difference. Quite yummy! We also had the Korean Beef Short Rib Stew, which I guess the only non-spicy dish we had on the table, but still equally as good. Not quite sure of the other item we ordered but I guess it would have to be the Spicy Pork w/ Vegetables Stir Fry. This dish also has that same delicious red sauce as with the spicy squid dish that Ofie commented that this dish tasted quite similar with the squid dish. But I'm not complaining at all. Both dishes are excellent.

goofing with the camera

jhen came in too late

Since food came in slow succession, we decided to goof around using our own cameras. We're such a riot bunch, really. To think, the place was packed, our voices seemed to stand out among the crowd.

We also decided, (or is it Jhen who enthusiastically suggested?) to do the exchange gifts while waiting for the meals to arrive.

Ligo Na Me, Lapit Na U book

flip flops

Mga Uod At Rosas book

Starbucks coffee mug

Laurie, the newest in our group, received a book from Jhen entitled Ligo Na U, Lapit Na Me by Eros Atalia, a novel-turned-film that was exhibited in the recent Cinemalaya Festival starring Edgar Allan Guzman and Mercedes Cabral. Ofie gave Laurie a pair of fashionably-chic flip flops. I also gave Laurie a book, noting her interest to some of the books I acquired in the recent months. I gave her Edgardo M. Reyes' Mga Uod At Rosas, based on Edgar Reyes' own screenplay of the movie filmed by Romy Suzara that starred Nora Aunor, Lorna Tolentino and the late Johnny Delgado. Lastly, Karen gave Laurie a mug from Starbucks. Ofie gasped upon seeing the Starbucks item given by Karen. You'll soon find out why. He-he!

doll shoes

pink jacket

another doll shoes

Ofie's gifts includes ( a pair of light brown doll shoes from Jhen, a fucshia pink long-sleeved buttoned down jacket from Karen and another doll shoes, this one a pink pair by Kamiseta from me. The reason for the doll shoes was because Ofie posted on her Facebook page, (or did she texted us?) that she would like to have doll shoes as a Christmas present.

power ring

chic black shoes

earrings and necklace

Karen's gifts includes (a power ring in mint-green color from Jhen, a classic open toed black shoes from Ofie, and a pair of earrings and a matching long beaded necklace by Forever 21 from me). Notice how Karen's scrutinizes my gifts. Apparently, I once again forgot to remove the price tags on my gifts. I know, its abominable. He-he!

floral bag

bayong-type bag

Darlene's gifts includes (a trendy floral printed bag from Ofie and a bayong inspired black bag by Egg from me). We knew Darlene's love for bags and she was quite happy with her so-called "loot" that night.

jhen in action with her camera

wristwatches

cap

Aleph book

Starbucks coffee mug (see any similarities with Laurie's mug he-he!)

And Jhen's gifts includes (wristwatches for him and for her- a gift for both Jhen and Darlene from Karen, a Bench cap and a new Paulo Coehlo book entitled Aleph from me, and here's the funny part, a Starbucks coffee mug from Ofie which is exactly the same mug Laurie received from Karen. So, that breaks the mystery why Ofie suddenly gasped in surprised when  Laurie opened her gift earlier. He-he!

As for me...

chubby me (photo courtesy of jhen)

tees, lotion, The Diary Of Anne Frank, One Hundred Years Of Solitude & Snuff

I received three tees by Giordano and VS lotion (!!!) from Karen, The Diary Of A Young Girl by Anne Frank from Jhen, and two books from Ofie, One Hundred Years Of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk. I sooo loved your gifts, guys. Thank you!

cooktop grill

meats on grill

ready for serving

More food came in the way right after. This time, meats ready for grilling. We all watched in awe while our server prepared the cooktop grill. Karen also asked our server to do the cooking for us, it was soo nice of her to do it for us, really. Suddenly, the aroma of cooked meat enveloped us. We had the Grilled Beef Meat and the Grilled Chicken Meat. The grilled beef was somewhat lacking in flavor and not as tender as I would like, however the grilled chicken was oh-so-juicy, the flavors that explodes in my mouth really weakened my knees. To which, Ofie concurred. 

Starbucks blended drinks

Since Ye Dang didn't have any desserts on their menu, we all troop to Starbucks Coffee, Metrowalk for our sweet cravings (minus Laurie, she begged off to come with us at this point since its already late and she would be at work first thing the following morning). With all our orders combined, Jhen was able to claim one of her Starbucks 2012 Planner. Yey! 

molten chocolate cake & cranberry white mocha chocolate frappe

molten chocolate cake (up-close)

This trip to Starbucks also served as my chance to finally try the Molten Chocolate Cake. It was a very moist cake, flowing with chocolate syrup. This heaven of a cake also hides a caramel filling within. As if that wasn't enough, a generous helping of whipped cream on top and lashes of caramel syrup made this already delicious cake so sinfully good. To partner with this cake, I had my favorite Christmas blend, the Cranberry White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino. Thus, this concluded my Starbucks Christmas experience.

group pic 1 (photo courtesy of jhen)

group pic 2

Good food. No, let me re-phrase that. Excellent food, partnered with friends that I hold so dear, made this Christmas gathering a truly memorable event. To Karen, Jhen, Ofie, Darlene and Laurie, each of you has a special place in my heart. Even though, we may have to led our own paths now, rest assured that I would always, always look forward to our gathering such as these in the future. Much love to you guys from my heart. =)

Ye Dang Korean BBQ Restaurant

And for you, Ye Dang, thank you for making our Christmas get together a truly memorable one, indeed. Cheers to you! =)



Meralco Ave., Ortigas
Mandaluyong City

(02)-636-1461

No comments:

Post a Comment