Friday, January 13, 2012

The Best Kaldereta & Other Delicious Finger Foods in Cabana Grille

Cabana Grille

NOTE: Many thanks to Jhen for the number of pictures I've used on this post. Her photos were captioned accordingly.

I have been to Cabana Grille twice before, I can't seem to remember the food we ordered on the first visit aside from that succulent sushi dish dipped in a mixture of soy sauce and just a hint of wasabe. Most possibly because at that time, the people that I'm with (actually, its my former teammates for the BPO company I used to work for) was more attuned to the number of Red Horse and San Miguel beers they could sweep clean. 

However, on the second time I'm here (on the occasion of my friend Darlene's birthday), I was more than thrilled with the dishes that I was able to try. I could still remember the sisig, bursting in its own porky goodness; the sizzling chicken with buttered gravy, the type of chicken and gravy combo that could compete with KFC's own original recipe chicken; and the Cheese Sticks with Tartare Dip, one of the best, if not the best cheese sticks I've tried. I've been dreaming about those cheesy goodness for days after that visit.

kuya jay, darlene, me & ofie (photo courtesy of jhen)

I know Gaylord Llorin, or Kuya Jay, owner of Cabana Grille. It may not show initially since he usually greets you with his banter, however as soon as you get to know him, he is quite impassioned about everything he does. Just listen to him when he talks about his days as a real estate agent. 

milling around for a water refill

gifts to be handed out 

Team Brian (the former team I belonged to) decided to have their Christmas party at Kuya Jay's Cabana Grille. I was so happy when Jhen and company asked me to be a part of it. Good thing, the schedules that I had at that time didn't conflict on the day they decided to do the Christmas party. I would get the chance to once again savor the delicious food in this grille place. Hooray for that!

seashore painting

masks on the wall (photo courtesy of jhen)

cloths and ornamental lighting

The Cabana Grille is a bahay kubo-type resto with a twist. You would see a number of surfboards attached to latticework type walls made of bamboos, the high ceiling was draped with colorful malong-like cloths, with nice ornamental lightings hanging from it. You might also catch the soft murmur of water from the electric fountain situated on the side of the bar in case the resto's noise level was not that high. Mardi Gras-type masks were also hanging on one side, to possibly depict the Ati-Atihan in Kalibo. And a painting of the seashore could also be seen on one side, to keep up with the restaurant's 'beach' theme.

adorable jhen clinging to team lead brian

The arrival of Team Leader Brian signaled the food will now be served. Thus, Jhen's uncontrollable happiness that she clutched Brian by the shoulder he-he-he! 

food feast

lechon kawali

barbecue

kaldereta

It was nothing short of glorious when we gazed down upon the food proffered to us. The dishes were still hot when it arrives to our table that condensation 'sweat' gathered on the pyrex covers and the aroma of meat and spices that enveloped our sensory smell made us salivate quickly.

The lechon kawali has that right crunchiness of the skin, tender meat and fat that gushes into your mouth and tongue once you bite into it that the accompanying sauce of Mang Tomas was no longer necessary. The barbecue on sticks has that right charcoal flavor smokiness to it, just the way I want my barbecue to be. However, the dish that truly made my knees all jelly due to its sheer goodness is the beef kaldereta. Its gleaming red hue entices, and once I got a taste of the sauce my shoulders slumped and I announced unabashedly how good the dish was. The meat tenderness was just right and the sauce was perkily spiced with liver spread and chilis that would prompt you to lather that sauce to a steaming cup of rice (or two). I heard people among our group echoed my professed love to this dish.

my plate


atchara (pickled papaya relish condiment)

jhen enjoying her barbecue stick

premium malted beer

beer (apple flavor)

Right after that sumptuous feast and everybody has settled down, the buckets of beers came in. I only settled for the fruity type of beer (San Miguel Apple Flavor). Just one bottle which I gingerly sipped all throughout the night. I was afraid the spell that I had when I was here the last time would return (thanks to that killer bottle of Tanduay Ice). Thankfully, that spell never happened again that night. Jhen also let me try the other San Miguel beer variant which is the Premium All-Malt Beer. It was surprisingly sweet with that unmistakable kick for an alcoholic beverage.

kim & deney

tl brian & marvin

kuya jay with his gift tee (photo courtesy of jhen)


ofie & me with her gift (photo courtesy of jhen)

ermita book

Then we proceed to the fun part, which is giving each of our monitos and monitas our gifts. I received from Ofie (apparently I was her monito on this partey) a book by F. Sionil Jose titled Ermita. My monito that night was Kuya Jay himself, I bought him an American Boulevard tee with a very nice slogan that he liked very well. The slogan says "Drink First Before You Think." He like it so much that Kuya Jay wore the tee right away. I'm so glad he liked it and I'm just so relieved the tee fitted him perfectly.

eiji & joey (photo courtesy of jhen)

karen & rhey just arrived on the venue

ofie trying to guess the pinoy henyo word

why darlene is covering her face?

darlene playing cards with the boys

More people arrived as the night progressed. We also did, somehow haphazardly a Pinoy Henyo game. But it was hilarious, nevertheless. Darlene gamely played with the boys a card game (I believe its Pusoy Dos) wherein she emerged as the winner with looted money from the boys. More food, this time its the so-called pulutan or finger foods to pair with the alcoholic drinks, arrived at our table.

crispy teynga

gravy poured over sizzling chicken

sizzling chicken w/ buttered gravy (photo courtesy of jhen)

boys going gaga over the chicken (photo courtesy of jhen)

kilawin (photo courtesy of jhen)

The Crispy Teynga was the runaway winner among the pulutan. Deep fried well enough for that crunchy satisfaction, similar in texture with a good quality chicharon. I just can't help but to get one piece right after another, dismissing the admonition from Jhen, Darlene and Lawrence because of my high blood pressure. I just reasoned out that I do have maintenance medicines to combat it with. I know, I know. That's very bad of me to say, but this was so good to pass up. 

We also had the Sizzling Chicken with Buttered Gravy, that same dish we had before on Darlene's birthday bash. Almost everyone got excited as the thick gravy was poured out from its receptacle to cascade gloriously down to the chicken pieces. It was a delightful sight as gravy made its sizzling sound on the plate and smoke enveloped it momentarily. The boys can't help but drool in delight (as seen on photo above).

We also had the meanest kilawin that I had ever met. Our local version of ceviche, this one is more potent with vinegar and spiciness was so intense that when I sample a spoonful of it offered by Jhen, the tingling level in my mouth shoots up, sending shock all over my senses. It also made my eyelids to flurry up and down. I started fanning feebly my scoured mouth, tongue and lips with the use of my hand, as if that would immediately subside the spicy-tingling sensation. I could swear my sinuses are momentarily cleared by that ka-pow spoonful taste of the kilawin. I only just wished that the melt in your mouth cheese sticks made an appearance that night.

rhey & karen

lawrence & shirley (photo courtesy of jhen)

shirley & kimberly (photo courtesy of jhen)

the boys of team brian (from left: deney, lawrence, joey & marvin)- photo courtesy of  jhen

from left: kuya jay, darlene, me, jhen, ofie & marvin (behind) -photo courtesy of jhen

group pic

It was indeed a fun-filled night, where I get to bond with my friends and former teammates and I get to meet new acquaintances. Thanks again to Jhen for inviting me over along with Ofie, to  Karen w/ her beau Rhey, to Darlene, Deney, TL Brian, Lawrence, Joey, Shirley, Kimberly, Eiji and Marvin. Not included in the photos who arrived later that night were JM, Tere and Kristian. Whew! I hope I didn't miss out on anyone.

kuya jay

Thanks again, Kuya Jay for the great hospitality you've shown us that night. The food was indeed excellent, especially that drool-worthy kaldereta. You've been the best host ever!

cabana grille (2)


CABANA GRILLE

194 Capetown St.
Green Park Village
Manggahan, Pasig City

09166667279
(Look for Ryan Llorin)

1 comment:

  1. Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things — air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky — all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.
    Flights to Cape Town
    Cheap Flights to Cape Town
    Cheap Air Tickets to Cape Town

    ReplyDelete