Thursday, October 18, 2012

Of Burgers, Floats & Milkshakes

my order at Charlie's Grind & Grill

I was first introduced to Charlie's Grind & Grill by my friend and former colleague Grace when me and my other friends (Ofie and Livy) were searching for a good hang out place that offers good burgers. I'm still not that versed with where the good grubs are at that time. She very much recommended the Black Angus Beef Burger of Charlie's saying it's the best burger she had thus far. She also told us it could be quite of a stretch to finish this burger because it was big. 'It's so big it's good enough to share,' I remembered her saying. That really pumped us up and went straight to Charlie's in Ronac Art Center Building right after our work shift.


Chicken Burger

Buffalo Wings

Black Angus Beef Burger

I was able to document our dine out at Charlie's through pictures so I'm sharing to you some of the food shots of what we ordered. It's true that their Black Angus Beef Burger was quite hefty and flavorful, but the size of it was good enough to fed an individual with a monstrous appetite (a.k.a. moi!). We also had the Chicken Burger and the Buffalo Wings in sweet honey sauce. I remembered wanting to get the spicy variant for the wings but Livy abhors anything spicy so we settled for the sweet coating for the wings.

strawberry milkshakes

banoffee pie

While the Strawberry Milkshake that we ordered had me wanting for a rather thicker consistency, I had no complaints with the Banoffee Pie dessert. The top part was drizzled with chocolate syrup and caramel sauce, creating a rather lazily made lattice top but look rustic nevertheless. I remember liking this dessert so much that I even compared it to Banapple's very own banoffee pie because of its goodness.

open kitchen

dining area

Fast forward to the future, I'm back here at Charlie's still in their branch at Ronac. This time I'm just all by myself. I went here right after I watch the movie The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. My two friends who've been with me on my first visit to Charlie's has already gone abroad and I sort of felt a little melancholic when I got here.

Bacon Wagyu Burger & fries

half-eaten burger

Guilty of lovin' that bottle of mustard so much!

I was pretty much conservative with my orders here at Charlie's which quite surprised me. I'm all ready to order a burger with the portobello mushroom infused with cheese but at the last minute (and under the staff's menacing stare behind the counter who seem annoyed by my moment's indecision) decided to have Bacon Wagyu Burger. Sufficiently thick burger patty with large pieces of bacon lolling its way out of the buns, I'm quite satisfied with it. I also enjoyed munching those thickly cut fries that I ordered on the side.

peanut butter milkshake and root beer float

root beer float (up close)

Majority of us couldn't eat burgers without the prerequisite fries. However, in addition to our beloved fries, I think it's also a must that milkshakes and floats would also come in attendance when eating your favorite burger. 

I so love their Peanut Butter Milkshake. I could feel globs of peanut butter sucked up by my straw as I sip valiantly on my milkshake, almost forgetting my only half-eaten burger. I blame this milkshake for making me feel full so quickly. 

I also like the way they presented their Root Beer Float. It's a deconstructed of sort where the soft-serve ice cream was placed at the bottom of the glass. Then I poured the contents of the Mug root beer in can into the glass. Careful not create any spillage but I nevertheless filled the glass to the brim with my rootbeer. Sipping this rootbeer float made me feel nostalgic and couldn't help myself but think of the A&W Root Beer Float that I so much missed.

turtle pie

after the pie has sit for a while

My original choice for dessert, the Key Lime Pie was not available as sternly stressed by the 'don't-mess-up-with-me-I-just-woke-up-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-bed' staff who took my order earlier. I gingerly asked her then if I can have the Turtle Pie instead. It was quite a struggle at first for me to get a piece of this pie using my spoon since the graham cracker crust harden quite a bit. But after letting it rest for a while, it became somewhat manageable in scooping it up. Pretty decent dessert pie, this one, albeit with lots of whipped cream piped on it bordering the excessive. But would still hope to try the Key Lime Pie next time or maybe another serving of the Banoffee Pie.


I pretty much like the food here in Charlie's Grind & Grill and no doubt I would be back for more. I'm just bothered by the demeanor of some of the staff, not all though. The girl whom I asked for the fries to be delivered to my table when I belatedly learned that my Bacon Wagyu Burger didn't come with fries was really nice. I'm pertaining in particular to those staff who manned the counter. I guess they should assign staff with a "cheery (not tacky)" persona rather than placing people there who have the visage that reminds me more of my terror college professor who might snap at any minute. It might translate to shooing away their customers instead of inviting them in. Might possibly try their branch in Kapitolyo to make the comparison next time.


G/F Ronac Art Center Building
Ortigas Ave., Brgy. Greenhills
San Juan

477-5021

No comments:

Post a Comment