Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Want Some Enchiladas & Muffin?

Chipotle Pork Sloppy Joe

It was a series of bad luck (or should I say, unfortunate events) that led me to Mexicali in SM Megamall. I was originally looking for Biksa Coffee in Marikina (they were still close at that time, I belatedly learned) and got myself lost looking for Dragon Street along Gil Fernando Avenue. I took a short respite by stopping at a convenient store beside a gas station to have a Magnum Chocolate Truffle (that ice cream bar which was targeted with so much hate and puzzlement months ago) and a can of Coke Light. This comprised my lunch for that day before I continued my search. Upon learning that Biksa Coffee was closed due to a road construction happening on Gil Fernando Road I went to a nearby spa to appease my tired and aching muscles. Right after that, I felt really hungry. That kind of hunger you couldn't keep at bay by just stuffing your mouth with mint candy. Real food is what my body is aching to have and it must be sated or else I might go ballistic.

I was craving to have Mexican food and I know some restos who do just that in the Ortigas Home Depot area but I also wanted to catch the screening of Joey Reyes' Mga Mumunting Lihim so I decided to head on straight to SM Megamall to check the movie schedule. Alas! The screening schedule was only up until three in the afternoon, and I arrived in Megamall at quarter to 5PM. Already feeling the strain this long stretch has brought me, I seek solace at Mexicali.

inside Mexicali

busy counter

graffiti

Good thing, Mexicali was not jampacked that afternoon so I was able to nab a seat quite easily. Perusing the menu, naturally I wanted to order just about anything considering how hungry I was. But reality and sense of good measure sunk in and ordered instead from their combo meal selection and a sandwich for good measure. 

pineapple juice

Enchilada & Burrito combo

Combo meal (upclose)

I was given a choice if I would want grilled chicken, roast pork, ground beef or grilled vegetables for my Burrito & Enchilada Combo order. I naturally go for pollo (chicken). The burrito was already a meal in itself. It's teeming with grilled chicken meat that I requested as well as the requisite Mexican rice, some beans, salsa and cheese. The resultant aroma was really appetizing. Quite flavorful, too. Dribbling some of the hot sauce to it made it a bit more delicioso! 

I also like the enchilada which was covered with a tangy tomato sauce with a spicy note at the end. 

Chipotle Sloppy Joe

I do find the Chipotle Pork Sloppy Joe lacked that moistness that I'm yearning for a sloppy joe sandwich. It has nary any spice at all. But that was easily remedied with the provided hot sauce.

Mexicali; SM Megamall

There's still so much that I want to try here in Mexicali like their flautas, quesadillas and tacos. Would definitely reserve those orders on my next visit.


SM Megamall
Upper Ground Flr., Building A

556-0810
~~~~~~~~~
muffins and coffee at Muffin & Puffin

There were some dessert items on Mexicali's menu but I felt that  I'd rather go somewhere else to appease my sweet cravings. I initially wanted to go to Mrs. Fields but decided at the last minute to try Muffin & Puffin instead. And I'm so glad I did just that.

yummy muffins on display




I was quite amused when the staff at the counter asked me if I would also want to have some pasta or sandwich aside from the muffins that I've ordered. Apparently it's not only sweet muffins you could buy here at Muffin & Puffin but savory items as well. Since I already had my fill at Mexicali, I just stick to the sweets.

The Hazelnut Muffin has that chocolate frosting that is similar to Nutella, believe it or not. However, this muffin would need a bit of moist on its sleeve to amplify it's inherent goodness. The Peanut Butter w/ Banana was my absolute favorite. Think of it as a banana cake formed into a muffin spread all over with peanut butter. Yummy! :)

They also serve quite good coffee like the Cafe Latte that I ordered with the muffins. I enjoyed sipping it till the last drop while I forked through my muffins and people watch at the same time. Muffin & Puffin is like an open-air stall.


There's so many muffins to choose from here in Muffin & Puffin that a single visit wouldn't be enough. I'll make it a point to pass by this stall once I'm back in Megamall to try out the other variants.

MUFFIN & PUFFIN

SM Megamall
4/F Building A


No comments:

Post a Comment