Saturday, August 10, 2013

Fuel For The Soul

2013-07-27-4682
coffee and cake at Kuppa

I've been on a slump lately. And this is due to the fact that my heart got "crushed" by my crush (pun unintended). Not because of anything that he overtly did. It's just that we never had that chance to really interact. And I'm so scared to even say 'Hi' to him whenever I see him pass by the corridor. Afraid that my voice would come out like a muted croak that in turn would make him run the other way. What if my mere presence irks him? What if he doesn't really want to befriend me at all? There was even a point where I get affected when he's being too chummy and friendly with his girl peers. I could almost hear my friend Pau retorting, "Of course he'll be friendly with them, they're his friends! Duh!"


I know it seems illogical for me that a juvenile dilemma of this sort still has a grip on me. At my age, I'm positive that my tween nephews and nieces would warrant me a look of consternation. 'Don't you think Tito Jay should have gone full circle already?', I would imagine one of them would think once they've learned of this current predicament of mine.

To turn my mind away from my heart troubles and woes, I would seek solace from the comfort that coffee shops and cafes could bring. Sometimes a good cup of coffee (partnered with a tantalizing dessert) could make me bounce back to my senses. But there are times where it would require a "truckload" of it to get my act straight. Not an encouraging thought, but sometimes you have to leave by on whatever means you have at hand and just deal with it.

At Figaro


2013-08-02-4698
blue velvet cheesecake and cafe latte

I went to Figaro on a late Friday afternoon at their cozy Brickroad branch near the Sta. Lucia East Grand Mall in Cainta. It was a tiring week for me not to mention nursing a bruised heart (okay, insert a sappy music here like a song by Brian McKnight or Jim Brickman). I wanted to be away from the usually crowded coffee shops but not necessarily the deserted ones. I didn't order right away. I hovered on the display case looking for something until my eyes nailed it. I then went back round the counter and ordered away.

I went to the al fresco/smoking area at the back (the side where the Informatics computer school, a spa and a gym are also situated) and stayed there. Cozy it maybe inside with the AC not too cold and soothing music streaming from the centralized speakers. But I'm afraid the soft, muted lights inside would result to poor quality pictures of the food I'm about to eat. I'm still using the same old, trusty Nokia camera phone for all my pictures on this site and even if I adjusted its camera settings the pictures will still not turn out okay especially if the surrounding has poor lighting.


2013-08-02-4701
cake and coffee (another angle)

I was already thinking of transferring to another table because the one I chose wobbles unsteadily by the slightest touch on the table top when my steaming hot cup of latte and a slice of the Blue Velvet Cake arrived, delivered by a pleasantly looking barista. I just gave my latte a cursory glance. I'm all transfixed with the cake slice of the most bluest hue. Of course, a red velvet cake will always be a favorite. But wouldn't it be nice to take a respite from all those red? A blue color of this much-beloved cake is a welcome change for me. Very masculine in appearance yet still has that familiar pristine moistness that one would expect from a red velvet. 

I savor each sip of my latte and each exquisite forkful of the cake as I continue reading JRR Tolkien's book two of his epic trilogy, The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers from where I left off while catching whiffs of conversation from nearby tables. The barista who brought my order came back with another fellow barista and sat on a table adjacent to where I was. Possibly it's time for their coffee break (Well, how suitable that could be? Having a coffee break in a coffee shop he-he!). He started playing audio files from his phone, songs I recognized by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus entitled Face Down and Snow Patrol's smash hit Chasing Cars. I didn't mind this sudden intrusion, at all. It happens to be that both bands were favorites of mine. I pretended to keep on reading while I relish each and every rhythm, lyric and drumbeat. 

1
www.figarocoffee.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At Kuppa


2013-07-27-4686
croissant, cake and kuppa

I've been meaning to try Kuppa Roastery & Cafe for the longest time. An implant from Bacolod, I've heard so many nice things about their coffees and desserts that you could imagine how I almost hopscotch my way to the counter from absolute glee when I finally got the chance to drop by one weekend. 

2013-07-27-4685
interior

2013-07-27-4689
counter

I must admit I got a little disoriented when one of the guy servers asked me to sit down as I was still ogling at the display case with all of those sweet treats that seem to beckon at me. When I asked if I could have what it looked to me a strawberry shortcake as I point back towards the display case, I was promptly corrected that it's called the Strawberry Kiss. I settled back to my chair like a schoolboy that has been reprimanded by a strict teacher. Nevertheless, I was really impressed with the rather sophisticated look of Kuppa highlighted by it's dark wood accents. I also noticed there's a lot of savory dishes that one can order here. But since I've already consumed quite a handful earlier at the Early Bird Breakfast Club, I only ordered lightly at Kuppa.


2013-07-27-4683
strawberry kiss

2013-07-27-4688
butter croissant and cafe au lait

The sight alone of the Strawberry Kiss already lifted the moroseness that I was feeling at that moment. My first forkful of it greeted me with cool cream, fluffy chiffon cake and the tartness of the strawberry slices. I cherished this cake down to the last morsel of it.

I also liked the Butter Croissant though it was not as flaky as I would have imagined it would be. But still downright satisfying for it's very buttery flavor. The Cafe Au Lait has a very tame espresso flavor with a rather milky finish. Cupping the cup, I sip then savor the nuance of flavors as I try to search within myself why this guy whom I barely even know has a very tight grip on me. Am I the one to blame because I'm letting it all fall? Letting things slide when I'm the one who's suppose to have the control?

2

CommerCenter Building
31st St cor 4th Ave
BGC, Taguig

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At Commune


2013-08-03-4709


I braced the heavy downpour one Saturday afternoon just to be here at Commune. I was looking for a cafe that is out of the ordinary. A place that's not too crowded and would allow me to meditate and to wallow (or possibly dissect) at my emotions that's surging inside of me like the unrelenting tides of the sea. Food blogger Lori Baltazar has been very vocal in recommending this one of kind coffee shop/bar on her social networking sites. It was even mentioned on her Dessert Comes First website. That only means Commune is really worth checking out. Despite the danger of getting my jeans soaked, my leather shoes getting ruined and having the sniffles, I threw caution to the wind. I needed to muse on things. On a lot of things.

2013-08-03-4708
cool wall mural

2013-08-03-4705
iced mocha


2013-08-03-4706
rosemary herb chicken sandwich


As I sit cozily on a chair awaiting my orders, a server handed me a Men's Health magazine with Adam Levine on the cover. "Sir, read some magazine while you wait," he said coyly as I accepted the offer. It's a two cover issue with Jessy Mendiola making up the other cover. Now why the server offered the magazine with the sizzling international rock star facing me (in all honesty though I'm not really attracted to Maroon 5 front man's physique) instead of the sultry Kapamilya star, that I don't know. It's just a coincidence so quit it! I reprimanded myself. You're always making a big deal of things, Jules so don't you dare gripe why you're in this quagmire right now!

The Iced Mocha came in this stunning tall glass, smoldering in chocolate brown color capped with a pristine white cream on top laced with chocolate swirls. One sip and I was instantly perked up from my reverie. The coffee flavor was strong but tamed nicely by the cream.

I was surprised that Commune offers an array of homegrown food that I didn't expect for them to have: Chicken Longganisa, Tocino, Pork Adobo, Sinampalukang Manok and Sinigang na Baboy. All of these can be have with your rice of choice: adobo rice, garlic rice, steamed red rice or steamed white rice. A nice touch, I should say but I don't want to pack to myself too much today so I decided to have the Rosemary Herb Chicken Sandwich. I quite enjoyed this sandwich a lot. The big come on for me was the special dressing which I think has honey mustard dressing in it, though I'm not sure. When a glob of it drops down to the plate where it was served, I swiped it with my finger and licked it. It's addictive, I'm telling you! The side salad was great, too!

2013-08-03-4710
vanilla chip and seriously chocolate cupcakes

2013-08-03-4711
cafe latte

One of the reasons why I came here to Commune was to finally try the cupcakes by Sweet Patti Cakes. One of the people who assisted me who I believe is one of the owners recited to me their line up of sweets when I asked what's in store for desserts which I really find impressive. I was also equally impressed with Patti Grandidge's cupcake creations. Though I'm not into all-out chocolate these days, I liked the way the Nutella flavor teases on the Seriously Chocolate cupcake. My favorite though was the Vanilla Chip cupcake, a very fluffy cake crowned with a very delicious vanilla frosting. The chocolate chips that studded the cake made it even more irresistible.

I ate the cupcakes while sipping the Commune's own brew of Cafe Latte. Outstanding coffee this one was though I hope it was served on a proper mug instead of a take-away cup. Some might say, It's still the same coffee? What difference does it make if it's serve from a mug or a take out cup? Well, I'm just nitpicky that way.

3
Liberty Plaza
101 H V Dela Costa Street
Salcedo Village, Makati City

www.facebook.com/CommunePH
www.twitter.com/CommunePH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At Starbucks


2013-07-19-4662
green tea frapp


I've been frequenting the Starbucks Coffee Veranda branch at Robinsons Galleria in hopes to try the Green Tea White Chocolate Pudding. But every time I come here, it's not available *sniff*! It must have mirrored in my voice how exasperated I was when was told (yet again) that I cannot have my drink of choice that one of the barista quickly swooped in and offered me a bargain. He'll prepare a Green Tea Frappuccino with extra soy and syrup that I would love to bits. 'Masarap talaga yan, ha?' I dared him. 'Oo, masarap. Hanapin n'yo ako pag di nyo nagustuhan.' He dared back. I was even delighted that instead of calling my name to the counter to pick up my frapp, he delivered it to my table personally. That's why I love the Starbucks Veranda peeps! :)

2013-08-03-4714
green tea frapp and outrageous cheesecake


True enough, I did fell in love with this blend of green tea frapp. Sweet, creamy with that familiar smoky note of green tea. Hands down, this green tea has become my favorite frapp drink. The Outrageous Cheesecake caught my eye right away when I scanned the display case earlier and asked for it. A looker of a cheesecake that was strategically topped with mango, blueberry and strawberry compote then finished with white chocolate designed like snowflakes. I then wondered if Christmas has come to Starbucks quite early. Well, it doesn't matter since this cheesecake is a keeper.

Needless to say this visits to these cafes re-fueled me to face my beleaguered emotions. A friend of mine told me point blank that I will be the one who will find and create my own happiness. To which I concur. But I still yet to find it within me. For the meantime, finding bursts of gladness from coffee shops is something that I would content myself and would ever so cherish till I finally get there.

4




No comments:

Post a Comment