Thursday, December 19, 2013

I've Finally Met Paul

Image
desserts at Paul

In case you're wondering, the Paul that I'm referring to is not an actual person but a boulangerie (bakery) cafe that opened it's first branch just recently at SM Aura Premier. A second branch is currently in the works and would open soon along Rizal Drive, also in BGC Taguig.

I've been eyeing Paul ever since I've learned that a businessman with a string of clothing lines and shops to his belt (Ben Chan, that is) is bringing this highly esteemed Parisian bakery cafe to Manila. Their branch in SM Aura though spacious in size has left me feeling crammed and cramped because of too many tables zigging and zagging almost every which way. I overheard a foreigner telling one of the female staff in a light hearted way, "Trying to maximize the space, eh?" The staff just smiled bemusedly and handed the guy and his "cohorts" the menu.


Image
inside Paul

Image
table setting

With a mindset that a newly opened restaurant such as this one might have its rickety starts and service might have its flaws, I came here with an open mind and to play sports if things didn't pan out the way it was suppose to. To illustrate the service that I had here, it's like a newly bought guitar where the one strumming it is still adjusting the strings in order to get his desired tune. But give it a few more weeks and I'm sure this bakery cafe will get it's jive.

Image
cream of broccoli

Image
pistachio macaron frappe

Image
cod fish provencale

You could put asunder those piddling matters aside once you get a taste of the food offered here at Paul. You must forgive me for the rather awkward shots that I've took. I'm currently using a new camera phone and like Paul, I'm still learning how to use it to full capacity and still tweaking the settings to my liking.

While perusing the menu, the server asked me if I'd like to have their soup of the day. Not really wanting to order any soup and almost ready to decline but his enigmatic smile dissolve my resolve. So I give in. The soup that arrives before me is the Cream Of Broccoli. Searing hot, herby but it lacks the fulsome flavor that I'm looking for in a soup. Or maybe I should have followed my first instinct not to order any soup, after all.

The Pistachio Macaron Frappe is something that I endlessly adore. A real pistachio macaron blitz together with cream, milk and ice creates this wonder of a frappe. I could almost kid myself that it's a milkshake more than a frappe. I liked this one very, very much but I almost yearn that it should have been placed in a fancier container. Oh, well! That's just me.

The Cabillaud Provencal is not picture pretty but the very soft meat of the codfish saves the day. I also like the lemon sauce that is rich and creamy though there's too much of it poured over the fish. I just hope there's more rice to sop up the sauce. Or maybe a bread as an alternative for the carbo, perhaps?


Image
fruit tart, eclair and escargot raisins

Image
chocolate chaud Paul

Still, I was ever more delighted once my desserts and pastries order appeared. I initially asked for the Millefeuille Fraises, a Napoleon crispy pastry filled with strawberry pastry cream with an apricot glaze, but what they brought was the Tartalette Fraises instead, a mini tart with a buttery crust and filled with crème pâtissière topped with plump, juicy strawberries that ostensibly glistens with its sheen. I also wanted to try the Eclair Vanille but was told later on that they've run out of it and suggested the Eclair au Chocolat by default. Not to keen with the chocolate version since I'm already having a chocolate chaud but I was equally satisfied with this elongated choux pastry with midly sweet chocolate creme filling.

I'm also mad with the buttery pastry called Escargot Raisins, the circular form of which resembles that of a snail. Dotted with raisins then finished with an apricot and sugar glaze. Just wonderful, straight up good pastry. But the best part of this meal is my hot chocolate drink called the Chocolate Chaud Paul. It's a lush, silky smooth luxuriance of a hot chocolate this is. I'm putting this hot chocolate at the top of my favorite drinks of the season.

Image

SM Aura Premier
McKinley Parkway
McKinley, Taguig

No comments:

Post a Comment