Thursday, November 10, 2011

Rant & Rave: KFC

Kung Pao Chicken and Streewise Spoonfuls

Kentucky Fried Chicken, among the roster of popular fast food chains, is my always to go place if I'm craving for something quote-unquote "fast foody" (read: fried, oily & unhealthy). Not that I'm not mindful if what I'm eating is healthy or not (because I'm not...at least not most of the time). And could you still think of the cholesterol count on a piece of chicken when you're about to bite into it? Teeth crashing into the well seasoned skin and the very tender meat of the chicken. The unhealthiness of the food (in this case, the chicken) became highly irrelevant.



Clockwise from front: Mango Cheesecake, Choco Banana Pie, Classic Chocolate Mousse & Chocolate Tiramisu


When KFC introduced their Streetwise Spoonful desserts, I immediately went to their branch in Acropolis (almost like I'm in a haste, unmindful of the heavy downpour that day). I ordered all four (the classic Chocolate Mousse, Choco Banana Pie, Chocolate Tiramisu and Mango Cheesecake). Each dessert priced at P29.00 each. Surprisingly, the not so new Chocolate Mousse fared better than the other Spoonful desserts. The other three desserts were so mousse-like in its consistency I easily got tired eating it (umay). The Chocolate Mousse has that nice balance between mousse and brownie like base.


Kung Pao Chicken


Surprisingly, this dish I ordered, the Kung Pao Chicken, eclipsed the desserts completely. Crunchy breaded chicken fillet with that very addicting sweet-spicy sauce that glisten on lights' contact. This dish was so good, it almost replaced my personal favorite, the hot and crispy chicken,  that I usually ordered here in KFC.


Tower Burger


Tower Burger (box open)


When KFC introduced the Tower Burger, I'm just as ecstatic as ever. When I first tried it, I even mistook the hash brown as another original chicken fillet. I liked the chicken used here since its not too salty and the mayo balanced out the flavor. And yes, its quite big I couldn't let myself to finish it.


First attempt to Zinger Double Down


When Rochelle Sy Chua of Hearty's Haven announced on her blog that KFC is bringing back the Double Down sandwich, but this time it will now be called Zinger Double Down, I was so delighted by the news that on the very first date of its official release (October 28), I went straight to KFC Eastwood after my work shift. According to KFC's official site, the Double Down will be released from its agony (it was pictured being strapped with grenades over it. Very nice concept, I must say!) at 11:00 am that day. However, when I arrived in their Eastwood branch at around 10:30 am, the server at the counter says the Double Down sandwich was already available for order. No sweat! I didn't need to wait for another 30 minutes to try out the Zinger Double Down.


Its not the Zinger Double Down that I'm looking for.


Epic...You know what's next! =)


I got the shock of my life when I opened the wrapper, it looked very much like the original Double Down. But still, I cast my doubts aside and took my first bite. And another. And another. Affirmation seeped in. Spice only just a hint I must have just imagined it. What I did taste is saltiness that permeates my tongue which was my foremost complaint to the original Double Down sandwich. Disgruntled by my realization, I continued to bite and chew. Felt my jaw slacken by continuous chewing. What a total let down. I went out of this KFC store fuming.


Second attempt to Zinger Double Down


I checked again the picture on Rochelle's blog. I also check the posters on the KFC stores I past by. I convinced myself that what happened must have been a fluke. So, I decided to give Zinger Double Down another try.


Can you tell the big difference?


Now, that's what I'm talking about! =)


I'm just so glad I did since I got what I intend to eat the first time this Double Down sandwich came out. A resounding crunch that shatters once I bite into it, followed by nuances of spiciness that doesn't overpower or alienate. Bacon strips (not overcooked. Yey!), a slice of cheddar cheese and mayo. I guess I'm so enamored on this sandwich I looked at it adoringly that it commands attention from some diners. I chanced upon on some of them looking at me quizzically. Shrugging my shoulders, I just continue biting and feeling the sensation of crunch and spicy undertones on my tongue. This is nirvana in the simplest form.


Big mushroom on a mushroom soup


Even the Mushroom Soup I ordered is exceptional. Just look how big that button mushroom that  my spoon cradles. Yummy! ;)






www.kfc.ph

No comments:

Post a Comment