Tuesday, December 25, 2012

To Be On This Side Of The Picket Fence

2012-12-22-3646
breakfast food and ice creams at Picket Fence

I'm always enticed by food places that are kid-friendly. Stacy's for one, and also Mom & Tina's. When I've learned of a newly-opened ice cream parlor named Picket Fence Milk & Ice Cream Bar in Katipunan from Dessert Comes First, I immediately set about plans to pay the ice cream shop a visit. And that actually happened just this weekend before Christmas.


2012-12-22-3635
counter

2012-12-22-3634
interior

2012-12-22-3636
table setting

Looking for Picket Fence was a bit of a stretch. Directionally challenged that I am, I already saw  the Yellow Cab pizzeria that would indicate I'm already near to where the ice cream parlor is but I still continued my walk all the way to the place where Mercury Drug store is located. My reason behind it was that there's not a single sign pertaining to Picket Fence so this could not be the place. I was about to give up and already eyeing to try out another restaurant when I decided to check out the building where I find the Yellow Cab pizzeria. Went right past it, then lo and behold, the ice cream parlor with its brightly colored hues was there before me as if waiting for my arrival. I went right in and gave out my orders at the counter.

Surprisingly, Picket Fence has no other customer other than myself, given that it's a weekend. Partly to blame, I guess, is due to it's way too hidden location. Not sure if that's the owners way of creating a sort of mystery to their ice cream shop and lure customers in through word of mouth. But as I settled to my seat and my orders started to arrive, another elderly lady came it to try out what this ice cream shop has in store.

2012-12-22-3644
pancakes

2012-12-22-3643
PF Burger

2012-12-22-3642
waffles

Picket Fence could also be considered as a breakfast restaurant of sorts, serving choices of rice meals with tapas, spam, longanisa and egg. Not to be missed are the pancakes, waffles and their signature burger. Three large discs of flapjacks graced my table with playful swirls of maple syrup drizzled all over it. Some blueberry jam was placed on the side of the plate to smear some of it to the pancake if one is inclined to do so. Pleasurable pancakes these ones are. Really good!

A wonderful burger innovation was the PF Burger. What spelled the difference on this burger  from the rest that I've tried so far was the addition of an adobo-mayo dressing. I was floored upon tasting it. The adobo sauce really compliments the burger. I also like the super crunchy bacon and the onion rings piled over the burger patties. My only complaint was that the burger patties was way overcooked---'cooked to death' would have been the more appropriate term. Would keep in mind to inform the server of my cooking preference for the burger in case I would order it again.

The plate of waffles arrived to me as a mere of lost in translation. I remembered asking for a parfait variant and the manager helping the cashier even read out my orders but for some reason I ended up getting the waffles instead. No sweat! Because in turn, I ended up liking the waffles more than the pancakes. The glorious cream on top really made the waffles totally delectable and mouthwatering. I even had a grand time pouring the maple syrup all over it. I'm definitely going back for this.

2012-12-22-3640
ice creams

2012-12-22-3639
salted chili fries

2012-12-22-3649
root beer float

2012-12-22-3647
pistachio milkshake

Undoubtedly, the main attraction in Picket Fence are the ice creams which I read was imported from Australia. That actually doubled my excitement. How they named their ice cream flavors were quite catchy, too. The ones I tried were Leeny Vanilli, Mimi Milk Chocolate, Celo's Cookies & Cream and Delle-a-Macademia. Cool, creamy and velvety interspersed with chunks of chocolate chips as the flavors co-mingled together in one cup.

I also ordered the Salted Chili Fries that I greedily munch on in between scoops of ice cream. A flurry of heat from the fries followed by the cold creaminess of the ice cream had me down on my knees.

I was delighted with their presentation of the Rootbeer Float. Served in a stout glass mug, it was prettified even more with the addition of a dark red cherry on top. A metal canister was also provided with more of the rootbeer to pour into the mug. It took me a while before I start sucking and slurping on it with much glee.

The Pistachio Milkshake was substantially creamy and sweet though it wasn't as thick I'd imagine it would be. Nevertheless, I so much enjoyed this sweet treat that could also stand as a dessert on its own. 

2012-12-22-3651
Picket Fence; Katipunan

I so much enjoyed my dine here in Picket Fence that I'm actually thinking of visiting this ice cream parlor again if I'm happen to be back in Katipunan. 

1

317 FBR Arcade
Loyola Heights, Katipunan
Quezon City

242-4305
www.facebook.com/picketfence.milkandicecream

No comments:

Post a Comment