Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Four Food Places In One Day

2013-01-11-3739
heart shaped cake at Tous Les Jours

Valentines Day is fast approaching, I know. But me being dateless and single is not something of immediate concern. Or at least that's how I would like to perceive my unfortunate status of still being unattached. For now, it's the food the keep my spirit afloat and banish any morose feeling I may have wallowed upon if I let things fall apart and didn't act things up straight. And acting up straight means getting myself revved up as showcased on these four food places I visited in one day.



A Good Bowl Of Batchoy To Battle The Bitter Cold


2013-01-11-3720
beef batchoy at Ted's Oldtimer

For someone who's been fed instant noodles soup for most of my growing up life, a bowl of soup that didn't came from a packet (including those by Knorr) but was actually made from scratch is pure luxury. You could just imagine my glee, and I betcha I was grinning like that Cheshire cat from Alice In Wonderland after I had a whiff of the excellent broth as I watched it being poured to my bowl of miki noodles. My moment of reverie was slightly interrupted when a guy suddenly snatch the very last transparent container of chili oil (which I've been eyeing to place on my tray as soon as my batchoy is done) and appropriated it just for himself. Never even bothered returning it from the rack where it came from for other like me to use. Fuming, I grabbed the containers of salt and pepper. Holding my tray aloft, I selected a seat as far away from that guy-who-stole-my moment-of-chili-oil-ecstasy as possible.

With or without the chili oil, I was quite happy with my bowl of Beef Batchoy. Teeming with umami, quite garlicky, the beef flavor boom, with enough heat to battle the cold weather that night. I finished off this soup and stood up from my seat, satisfied.

1
www.tedslapazbatchoy.com

Can't Have A French Kiss? A French Dip Will Do.


2013-01-11-3726
savory cheese steak at Quiznos

I was unsure of the exact location of Quiznos in Eastwood, so I (with a help of a friend who actually lived in Eastwood) did a little 'reconnoiter' first. This American sub sandwich and cheese steak place is actually just on the ground level of Technoplaza 2 Building. So after slurping my hearty bowl of batchoy at Ted's and my sudden indecision of whether or not watch a movie that night, I found myself lining up at the counter of Quiznos to get myself a fully-loaded dinner meal. 'Cause a bowl of batchoy wasn't enough to feed my hungry tummy.



2013-01-11-3723
buzzer equipment


2013-01-11-3724
queue at the counter


2013-01-11-3730
inside Quiznos in Eastwood

2013-01-11-3728
another look at the French Dip

I was delightfully surprised when I was asked for the kind of bread to be use for my cheese steak sandwich order. I selected the parmesan crusted bread 'cause I like cheesy breads. A buzzer contraption was also provided to let me know if my order is already ready for pick-up at the counter. 

My choice of cheese steak sandwich was the French Dip. A simple cheese steak sandwich is already good but this variant was made more delectable with the addition of the mild peppercorn sauce and an au jus (or gravy drippings) served on the side which I happily dip my bread or pour onto the sandwich whichever I feel like doing. I just notice the considerable difference of the picture of this cheese steak sandwich plastered on the counter from the actual sandwich served to me.

2

quiznos.com.ph

These Cupcakes Are Mine For The Taking

2013-01-11-3732
cupcakes at J.Cuppacakes

Any person who has a sweet tooth would have a hard time passing up (let alone ignoring it entirely) the wondrous joy of sweet delight that a cupcake could bring. Just imagine the various flavors one could try with the slightest possibly of getting tired of it. So when I learned that J.Cuppacakes in Eastwood is finally open (they occupy the space that previously housed Haagen Dazs), it's a must that I try it first before I retire for home.

2013-01-11-3734
choco pb&j

2013-01-11-3735
banana Nutella

2013-01-11-3736
green tea

2013-01-11-3737
brewed coffee goes well with cupcakes

The minute I went inside, the servers (garbed with their aproned uniform) immediately offered me their bestseller which is the Red Velvet. I barely just gave those cupcakes a glance. Red velvets are becoming quite monotonous (and tiresome, I might add) these days on patisseries and dessert shops that they don't grab my interest anymore. I'm more interested with the other cupcake flavors that J. Cuppacakes has to offer. So my orders clearly veered away from the red velvet variety and its siblings as possible.

The Choco PB&J was quite good with its dense chocolate cake base and a peanut butter frosting with notes of the fruit to it. A strawberry jam trailed on top of the frosting for that startling finish. I also like the Banana Nutella with a crumbly cake base and a Nutella frosting with the hint of the fruit. But my favorite is the Green Tea. The most striking in appearance among the three because of it's brilliant green frosting; more so striking inside once mouth. A flitting green tea flavor and the caress of sweetness that just made my heart giddy.

3
Eastwood Citywalk
j.cuppacakes@gmail.com

A Bloody Red Heart Shaped Cake

2013-01-11-3738
Kiss Strawberry Cake

I don't have any intention of buying a whole cake when I went inside this Tous Les Jours bakery store in Technoplaza. But I got so captivated with the pristine beauty and seductively red hue of the Kiss Strawberry Cake that I just find myself already paying for this heart shaped cake at the counter.

A very moist strawberry sponge cake, layered with strawberry buttercream, it was then covered with natural dried strawberries. And it give it that sultry red glow, a generous sprinkle of strawberry powder all over. I'd say this is one overloaded strawberry cake. But I, and the rest of my family, loved it to the hilt. Valentine blues? Forget it! With food and dessert this good, you could kiss those blues away.

4

www.tlj.ph







No comments:

Post a Comment