Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Diner Worth Getting Lost To

2013-02-09-3895
food at LA Diner

A recent trip to the boundary of Marikina and Antipolo (or getting lost might be the more appropriate term) had me stumbled upon a gem of a diner. This diner offers delicious All-American comfort food that, in retrospect, getting myself lost momentarily on this short voyage proved to be a blessing in disguise.

2013-02-09-3886
wall mural

2013-02-09-3884
table setting

I was actually here to visit a katsu restaurant however I couldn't find the darn street where the katsu place is situated. Nearly exhausted by traveling on foot (just so you know, I have a bad habit of walking on foot irregardless of the distance, even at my own detriment), I decided to walk back to B. Soliven Avenue and went straight to LA Diner, on which I only just gave a cursory glance while in the middle of my search for that katsu place.

The place exude a happy, preppy atmosphere that one would normally expect in an All-American diner. A mural of sorts in one wall that showcase faces of famous Hollywood celebrities of yesteryears proclaiming their diner food favorites inside comic bubbles. Music  of the 90s and early 2000s, familiar favorites that of Alanis Morrisette, Shawn Colvin and Sixpence Non The Richer blasted from centralized speakers.

One should also know that LA Diner also has a bakery section that offers a wide variety of breads. I'm not surprised of the high quality and quite crusty bread that they've used on the hamburger that I ordered. I also saw a couple who dropped by just to order breads for take out.


2013-02-09-3885
rootbeer float


2013-02-09-3887
buffalo wings

The service staff were really courteous and very accommodating. When my Rootbeer Float was served, I got so excited that I boobed the straw up and down in quick succession that created a fizzy reaction that made quite a spill on the table. One of the guy staff deftly replaced the place mat and given me a hefty amount of tissue paper, lest I decided to do another playful round with my float.

The Buffalo Wings that I've tried has that sweet spicy coating that's really addictive. The heat on this wings is the sort of which that creeps on you but temper it down with the provided bleu cheese dip.


2013-02-09-3891
spicy shrimp linguine
  


2013-02-09-3894
half pound burger

2013-02-09-3889
Oreo milkshake

The Spicy Shrimp Linguine, true to its form, is indeed spicy. But bursting with flavor, nevertheless. The shrimp were plump and succulent. I ate this while sipping my float almost in between every forkful.

I was nonplussed when my order of the Half Pound Burger came. I don't even know on what angle to pick up the burger and in what way I should bite into it. Eating it with the fork and knife is totally out of the question. The burger reminded me, surprisingly, of Jollibee's Champ, albeit on a more elevated status. The burger is on the sweet side, you see---possibly adjusted to Pinoy's taste. But there's that unmistakable spice that lingers on the burger cooked to medium well. 

I would love to take in more calories to try out their cake desserts, the Tiramisu lined with broas looked tempting, but I'm already full to the brim. My craving for sweet was satisfied with the sufficiently thick Oreo Milkshake. But I'm not done yet with LA Diner. Would definitely go back for their cakes.

1


257 B. Soliven Ave.
Greenheights Newtown Subdivision
Antipolo, Rizal 

681-1051
Facebook Page



No comments:

Post a Comment