Sunday, February 3, 2013

I Dig This Fish & Chips Shop Big Time!

2013-01-13-3751
food at Chuck's Grub

Growing up, I had this immense dislike on fish meat. The same dislike that I had on bitter gourd (ampalaya), okra, string beans and other vegetables of the green and leafy variety. But now as an adult, the foods that I abhor as a kid are now the foods that I can't get enough. I so much like guinisang ampalaya with fried tofu and crushed pork cracklings (chicharon), ampalaya stuffed with ground meat, string beans with vermicelli noodles (sotanghon). I even apportion myself most of the okras whenever my Tita would cook Bulanglang (mixed vegetable stew). And now fish, especially the traditional beer battered fish fillet type similar to the one that I had recently at Chuck's Grub with their Fish & Chips.


1
from Chuck's Grub's Facebook page

2013-01-13-3742
counter

2013-01-13-3754
dining and graffiti area

I've already marked to try Chuck's Grub as soon as it open when I eyed its opening soon sign  in SM Megamall as I chowed down on my buffalo wings and nachos at Buffalo's Wings N' Things which just right across it. Apparently, this fish and chips shop has already several kiosks and chippy shops (dine in store) around the metro. The resto was packed when I came here one Saturday. Luckily, I was able to nab a space on one of those high seats facing the wall. 

2013-01-13-3748
jalapeno poppers

I started my meal with one of their Nibblers (read: appetizers) called Jalapeno Poppers. It could have been a good appetizer, especially for those people who like a little zing on their food like me. But this supposedly dynamite of a dish didn't even come close to exploding it's supposedly big flavors. The big let down was that they've used a low quality type of processed cheese. I could even discern which brand that cheese they've used which will be mercifully omitted on this post. It would have been more acceptable if they've just used those Kraft single cheese squares or maybe Magnolia quickmelt. I also find this poppers cooked ever so enthusiastically that the breading that coated the jalapenos has that undesirable brittle quality to it. I can't help but compare it with the jalapeno poppers served at Wham Burgers which were so much better. I just gathered this nibbler is just a recent addition to their menu and an improvement of it would be so much welcome.

2013-01-13-3744
fish & chips and fish sub sandwich

2013-01-13-3747
snapper fish and chips

2013-01-13-3745
halibut sub sandwich

Thankfully, the jalapeno poppers wasn't the harbinger of the things to come my way to this chippy shop. The Fish & Chips that I ordered was absolutely divine. The fish (snapper) has that creamy meat texture and the beer battered crusting was really crunchy. I could even hear the grinding sound it makes as my able molars closed in those crusty exteriors. The thick cut fries with skin on is a perfect pair up to the fish. Dip it on your choice of sauces (I had the tartar and garlic mayo) and feel as your eyes flutter up with satisfaction at each bite.

Equally satisfying was the Halibut Fish Sub. A large slab of fish fillet laced with that same crunchy beer batter. Painfully soft and creamy fish meat that for a moment I'm willing to give up the juiciest cheeseburger of any fast food chain with this fish sandwich. I only just wish a sturdier sandwich bun was used (like a ciabatta bread) than the grocery bought hotdog buns.

2013-01-13-3749
deep fried fudge bar

I wanted to try something new for dessert so I decided to have the Deep Fried Fudge Bar. Coated on that same breading, this fudge bar was not at all greasy. It's a stick-to-the-teeth kind of dessert wherein the quality of the fudge bar kind of reminded me of a Snickers bar. Though I could do without the clotted cream whipped on the side.

2013-01-13-3755
Chuck's Grub, SM Megamall

So if I ever get tired of the usual ho-hum burger and fries, I could always go the healthy route with the fish and chips at Chuck's Grub.

2

SM Megamall
Lower Ground Floor, Mega A

904-6775
0915-7927362






No comments:

Post a Comment